Questions about Exploding Rabbit.

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by crystal_entity, Dec 29, 2014.

1. crystal_entity

crystal_entity Level 0: Newbie

I have a few questions about general ER game stuff.

1) Will there be more updates to SMBC?
    2) What is the difference between Super Action Squad, Super Retro Squad, and Super Retro Crossover?
    3) What projects are you currently working on?

2. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

As far as I know, new updates aren't planned.
    Super Retro Squad was renamed Super Action Squad, thus they are one and the same. They feature original characters based off existing characters. Super Retro Crossover features said existing characters.
    They're making a small thing called Mini-SAS. All we know is it'll be commercial and it won't be a platformer.

Rey D likes this.
  3. crystal_entity

Thanks Mario-Fan! That makes it a lot less confusing for me.

Faruga likes this.
  4. are you going to remove the mario based level systems (goomba, koopa troopa etc) since. if you ever became a recognized company to the world. as that I mean a successful game dev company that makes games. and is known for it, by random strangers, I'm sure having some other companies video game character on your website. would make them think you're some how related to the Company Nintendo. or maybe an offshoot of Nintendo and I'm sure it would be confusing.

Faruga and Rey D like this.
  5. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Yes, we will change or remove the rank images at some point, and we will also change the website background.

狂人さん and Faruga like this.
  6. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

First things first... Jay I know I said I was making a documentary of SMBC. But I'm not sure if the screen capture program was responsible for my computer crashing. I had to reformat to make things worse and lost all progress on it. I hope your not mad or disappointed with me for this. I didn't mean to not come through with it. :(

Second
    What's gonna happen to SMBC I hate to think it might vanish. It's my 3rd favorite game after Final Fantasy 6 and 9 which are tied as number 1 to me.
    But regardless I suppose some things have to change for the worse before they get better. As in an awesome business gets torn down... A few unsuccessful open and close in between and in the end an even more awesome one finally gets built. As in SMBC being the original. The unsuccessful SAS,SMBC HTML and SRC being they weren't finished.The future projects being the more awesome.

Basically all that aside I'm just pointing out I believe in you as a game designer but hope SMBC isn't gonna die but if it does I realize what must be must be. So what's the future of it's existance?

Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  7. Jay

Nothing is in the plans right now. That's all I know!

Mitewing and Faruga like this.
  8. statoshi

statoshi Level 2: Koopa

dude no it's awesome to have the characters from your first game as your main thing you could just say at the top WE ARE NOT PARTENERED WITH NINTENDO

9. Faruga

Patron

It isn't really that simple. I'm not too well versed in copyright laws, but I can tell you that.

10. BBQTurkeyzZ

BBQTurkeyzZ Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

nintendo allows their resources to be used in fan projects as long as no profit is made from them, then things get c&d'd
    since sas is going to be monetised jay has to make new characters; and if he did use nintendo characters he wouldn't really be using his creative mindset
    new characters will make it more fun to create a story because using nintendo characters kinda almost limits the plot to "the princess is captured" or "dr wily is at it again" and that's something jay wants to avoid; he wants to craft a new universe and story for his game and set it apart from smbc and other games currently on the market
    anyways time to keep the thread on topic

do you plan to release mini-sas on pc, or will it get a release on both app stores or just the ipad? (i only have an iphone atm and i know some games are too big to release on the iphone store, such as the pokemon tcg online)

DarkBowser007 and Faruga like this.
  11. statoshi

yeah will mini sas be on pc and will exoploding rabbit members get it free?

12. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

Pretty sure it's gonna be mobile only, specifically iOS. I remember Jay saying he may have plans for Android, but that probably isn't guaranteed.

BBQTurkeyzZ likes this.
  13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Hopefully it will also be released on Android. I don't own anything from Apple.

Regarding SMBC, I do hope for a couple more small updates eventually after ER is finished with this first game at least. Nothing major would be necessary to increase the online traffic I would think. More character skins, character gameplay tweaks, and new cheats are all ideas. I've been posting ideas in case a change of plans ever happens. Honestly, only new skins would be more than enough for me.

Faruga likes this.
  14. Jay

I haven't thought about SMBC for a while. I talked a little bit about it in one of the podcasts. I can't remember if it was the first or second one (the second part isn't up yet).

Here's my feelings at this current moment. Porting it at this point is out of the question. It's just too much work. If I can get the Flash development tools set up and everything works, I'd consider doing some small stuff. The tools for Flash development are not so good as they're pretty old, and the game is huge. It is so big that sometimes while I'm writing code the IDE (the program I write code in) just crashes. Also, It has to go through some pretty substantial compression to make it not too expensive for me to host it (and a smaller download).

When we were trying to release 3.1, the game was crashing the compressor because it was too big. We had to remove some music to make it work. I figured if I added anything else it wouldn't work. I probably have a way around it now though. When I was putting the old versions on the site, I figured out a different way to compress them that could probably handle bigger sizes. There are some drawbacks to it too though.

No promises or anything, but I might be up for investigating that at some point. Another option is to remove some skins / music from the game so it isn't so gigantic.

15. statoshi

jay i understand, maybe in the future there will be new updates when you get a better IDE

Faruga likes this.
  16. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I knew the game was getting big, but I had no idea it was crashing during development. This makes me rethink the situation.

I am for keeping as much of the current content as possible. However I wouldn't be mad if a few things were cut. I can't speak for everyone, but skins/music that share nothing in common with their base characters (Alex/Kunio and Tetrimino, for example), I wouldn't mind seeing cut. Other skins that at least share gameplay or thematic similarities should stay if possible, IMO. This also goes for characters in the same franchise. They should be top priority to stay in the game. Also, if some skins have Japanese versions of music, pick which ever sounds better in your opinion, and remove the other. Given skins use much less space than music, I would only add skins that use existing music whenever possible. Of course, I'm sure you've already thought about this.

Whenever I have an idea I try to post it, so I hope if you do decide to go back to SMBC, you'll consider all of our ideas and ultimately decide what would make your masterpiece even better.

DarkBowser007 and Faruga like this.
  17. Faruga

Patron

I believe it's the official IDE, which presumably hasn't been updated in years. I don't program Flash games, so I won't try to confirm this.

18. Jay

Yeah it's Flash Builder. Amazingly, they are still charging money for it.

Faruga likes this.
  19. statoshi

ok jay just focus development for mini sas and sas

20. crystal_entity

Holy crap this thread is way more active than I thought it'd be :D

Mitewing likes this.