Questions for Jay

Discussion in 'Exploding Rabbit' started by Ed209, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Level 0: Newbie

Hey Jay! Your story and game have inspired me to make a free retro game. It looks very good so far! Where did you learn to program and what resources did you use? You pulled off some stuff that I can't figure out.

2. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Sorry for the late reply. I learned to program with Flash and used Flash books. All of that is outdated now. Now I recommend downloading Unity and following their tutorials. It's much easier to get started now.

Ed209 and Mitewing like this.
  3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Previously, you had plans to port SMBC to either Unity and HTML5. So Unity is overall better than HTML5? What are the advantages and disadvantages of each? I've thought about making a game too, but I need to learn to code/program. Would you suggest still sticking to Unity over HTML5 based on my situation? Thanks for any assistance!

4. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Unity's 2D tools have improved, and they're getting a built-in tile mapper later this year. When I was experimenting with HTML5 directly, it was kind of fun having a lot of control, but it also wastes a lot of time because you have to handle a lot of stuff you wouldn't have to worry about if you're using a game engine. So I'd recommend Unity for now.

Ed209 and Mitewing like this.
  5. Tsukiyomaru0

Tsukiyomaru0 Level 3: Paratroopa

If you do Unity, please don't force us to use the web plugin as the only mean to play the game. Sure, web playing is how SMBC grew, but Unity Web, for some users and browsers, ends up "freezing itself" for no reason. Imagine how irritating it would be for someone halfway through 8-4 to meet with the Frozen Unity of Death.

And HTML5 is... Actually much worse. If you don't code well in HTML5 you can end with something taking easily five times the RAM it should normally consume.

Besides, can't you easily port games from Unity to Mobile? If so, bingo! You could even release a mobile version!