Request Quote (Cave Story) Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by TiagoDu, Feb 24, 2012.

1. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

It's been awhile i've been dreaming with this. Cave Story is a cool game with lots of weapons, and i think it would work on SMBC. It's not NES, but it's 8-bit, as far as i can tell.
    Curly would work as a skin. Mimiga Mask Quote too.
    Enemies would drop energy pieces (don't know the exact name. The golden triangles.
    You would lose a level for the weapon each time you're hit.
    Idk if the weapons level would be unified or separate like on Cave Story.
    Anyway, it would be cool, what do you think?

2. 1337star

1337star Level 2: Koopa

Cave Story is not an NES game, and thus on principle I don't want to see Quote in the game.

Ignoring that, though, Quote would work very well at the purely theoretical level. Comes from a platfomer-style game, lots of weapons to choose from for powerups, level-up system adds uniqueness. He'd be kinda similar to a mix between Mega Man and Bass, but unique enough from both to justify being a separate character.

TheomanZero likes this.
  3. TiagoDu

Well, MegaMan 10 also isn't a NES game, It's a Wii game, but made to look 8-bit, and AFAIK SMBC Bass is based on MM10 Bass. Quote is also 8-bit.
    Also, i think he's more a mix between MegaMan and Samus.
    I just like the game and don't know anybody that don't.

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, Mega Man 10's engine was designed specifically to simulate the NES, so I think it gets a pass.
    I love Cave Story too, but it doesn't even use NES palettes.

5. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Guys guys guys Jay said that he will add more than just NES Titles into this game. Besides it's Jay's decision,if he wants Quote in first of all he needs to ask Pixel/Niclis to use Quote into the game. Other then that,FANTASTIC idea I recently got into this game and I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE to see Quote in the game. He would make PERFECT sense because Cave Story was MEANT to simulate the NES also so most of you guys are WRONG. But other then that it's Jay's decision if he wants Quote in this game. If Quote dosen't make it we still got the skinning. But we may get Quote someday.

6. TiagoDu

Let's not discuss "Quote isn't NES so it can't be on SMBC"
    Let's discuss "How Quote would behave on SMBC"
    Okay?
    EDIT: To Virtualsonic: Well, Cave Story isn't really to simulate NES, it's more like "Less than 16-bit, but more than 8-bit", But that's relative stuff.

7. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Weeeeeeeeeeeell it sorta does emulate the NES,considering originally the game was gonna be full 3D (This dosen't count Cave Story 3D,I mean TRUE 3D,all directions).

8. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Not as easy you make it out to be. Also I hope it's just NES characters. I would hate the game to be a mishmash of everything.

TheomanZero likes this.
  9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Exactly? Why do so few people understand this?

10. Crownjo

In way I can't blame them because Super Mario Bros. Crossover is a very well made game and they wanna see their favorite characters in. But we need to understand that not all characters are suited for this game.

Hell even there is characters I would like in this that isn't on NES but I respect the game's goal to be based on NES characters because that is how it was designed.

TheomanZero likes this.
  11. TiagoDu

Well, i think Quote fits for SMBC, albeit not being from the NES. Yeah, we need a quality control about what characters should be in, but this doesn't mean that we can make suggestions of non-NES characters and discuss about them.
    Sure, let's not get farout and make bad, or too complex character choices, but as long as the fun is in, i'm ok. I mean, SMBC is all about fun, isn't it? Games are all about having fun.
    Why NES only? NES is a wonderful console with awesome games, with characters specially fitting on SMBC because of it's simplicity. But other consoles also have characters simple and fun enough to be in on SMBC.
    A game isn't a fixed thing. Even the goals change sometimes. You see, SMBC is now undergoing great change with the porting. Many things not planned were put in, and many people liked the changes.
    Change is not a bad thing. Change is evolution, and evolution is a good thing. Sometimes the change can trigger a good reaction even to the most skeptical people. Only real feedback can say if a change is good or not. Theory is not the same as Practical.

Crownjo likes this.
  12. Crownjo

I have nothing against suggestions. I always thought that a silly idea could evolve into a very good idea in the end. It's just how I feel with things like this. If there was a sequel to SMBC someday then the rules would be very different.

It's really on how the idea is formed so the game stays amazing. Plus you gotta be careful on which characters you pick because some stupid company will send a C&D because they don't wanna see that in.

TiagoDu likes this.
  13. TiagoDu

Well, Cave Story is an indie game by a small company so C&D wouldn't be so probable.
    Anyway innovation is the concept to make a game fresh and new forever, so keep innovating on SMBC and you will have an awesome game for a long time.

14. Crownjo

Just be careful with a certain character that starts with a C. You know how "they" are with anything related to that game.

15. TiagoDu

C.........uh, sorry, nothing comes to my mind.
    C.....Contra.....Curly.......Castlevania..........Cammy..........Commander Keen? Sorry, nothing comes to my mind really. Another hint. :p

16. Crownjo

Well after this we will get back on topic. I don't wanna get "squared" by the mods

I will admit I think Quote has some unique gameplay that would be fun.

TiagoDu likes this.
  17. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I find it funny that Jay uses all sorts of official game material without permission and instead uses all sorts of disclaimers and stuff (which seems fine, legally), and yet when it comes to getting ideas from indie game developers, it seems like Jay really ought to ask for permission in order to be in the right.

I realize the indie developers are in a sense more like "colleagues" or "peers" than the major game companies are, and so it's more a matter of respect than anything. But then what does that say about how Jay (or anyone making independent games based on copyrighted material) views the major game companies? Is there no respect because they're an "evil" corporation whose only goal is to make billions of dollars?

Legally, there's no difference. Material that belongs to someone else still belongs to someone else, no matter who that someone else is.

I dunno, though. That was largely just thinking out loud. I'm not looking for a debate on the matter, I just find it an interesting observation. :)

ThomasMink likes this.
  18. TiagoDu

What do you think Capcom would respond if jay asked: "Hi, can i use MegaMan on my fangame that...
    [​IMG]

sbq92 likes this.
  19. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Oh I know. It's just funny that when it comes to asking smaller, independent developers, you need to make sure you ask permission! Large companies? Pfft, whatever. Just use it and tell people to buy their games. :p

TiagoDu likes this.
  20. TiagoDu

With large companies there isn't civilized conversation. It's C&D or even a direct tribunal fight. Better call Phoenix Wright for that........wait, he's owned by Capcom? WE'RE DOOMED!!!!!

sbq92 likes this.