Request Radd Spencer Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Jcogginsa, Jun 13, 2011.

1. Jcogginsa

Jcogginsa Level 3: Paratroopa

Radd Spencer is a commonly suggested character, and jay likes having the characters play as differently as possible, and Radd would play much differently than the others.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  2. Anter

Anter Level 6: Lakitu

From wich game is Radd?

3. Jcogginsa

bionic commando

4. Anter

Oh, yes...

5. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

It would be interesting. He is a so unique character.

6. Anter

I agree with World 1-1. It will be cool!

7. Diego Jurado Noboa

Diego Jurado Noboa Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I fully support Rad Spencer.

HOWEVER, there's an issue he'll bump in on the very first level of the game...

[​IMG]

Radd Spencer can't jump! There's no way he could get over those pipes... So my solution would be that Radd Spencer could swing THROUGH them. It's the only way that doesn't involve putting extra platforms above him.

Or be able to latch on to the top of the pipe by shooting it straight up (standing as close to the pipe as possible). That'd be my second suggestion.

8. Anter

This all may be edited, Diego Jurado Noboa.

9. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

If Rad doesn't get the ability to jump, then I definitely don't want to see him. If Rad does get to jump, he will probably just be another Mega Man with a really annoying low jump, having to rely on his arm all the time just like Mega Man has to rely on Rush.

And just like Sonic, this game was not designed for Rad's arm gimmick. And trying to adjust the design for Rad's gimmick would require too much customization.

We already have SOPHIA who takes up the "cool clingy climbing mobility" slot pretty well. And we have lots of characters who can rapid fire at long range.

I would still be excited for Rad since it's a new character, I just think there are better and more interesting characters. I'm not saying Rad isn't an interesting character, I'm saying that when it comes to Super Mario Bros. other characters would fit a lot better and would offer a lot of room for creativity on the development side, that goes beyond adding more platforms to make the character bearable to play as.

*cough* kirby *cough*

10. Diego Jurado Noboa

^ That's like implying I get a very similar experience when playing Blaster Master than when I play Bionic Commando.

Both games are awesome, but they are nothing alike. Heck.... Megaman and Samus, both have arm cannon gimmics, nobody's complaining. :p Rad is more about swinging over obstacles, rather than clinging to walls. He can also deflect projectiles with his arm, and ram opponents while swinging. (Has a variety of weapons too)

I can tell you that cause I'm a big fan of both franchises, these franchises play nothing alike. Yeah, there are other great characters, but Radd Spencer is nothing but unique.
    Let's be honest... Most characters (unless they're skins) will require customization. So we shouldn't really bring that up unless this is about ruining the landscape for the sake of one character.
    But for the most part, a lot of customization WAS needed for Ryu Hayabusa because no other character (at the time) could climb walls.

11. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

His bionic arm mechanics would need to be greatly changed as well. Ive worked out possible controls and will post them when I get a chance.

12. Jcogginsa

so, does anyone have an idea of what his powerups should be?

13. Diego Jurado Noboa

Vague idea...:

No power up: Rifle. (Shoots up to 2-3 bullets per screen)
    Mushroom: Spread gun (Shorter range than the rifle, but fires bullets straight and in two diagonal angles ahead)
    Fire Flower: Rocket Launcher (a very powerful projectile weapon. Cuts through bricks like knife on butter)

Or...

Rifle
    Rocket Launcher
    3-way. (this one consists of a rocket launcher-esque weapon that fires straight up, straight forward, and straight down at the same time)

14. jerry

jerry Level 6: Lakitu

I like his games for being unique platformers, it makes it cool having to rely on something that's not jumping in a platformer. But I can't see how without massive editing of levels or his arm, how he could get around the level. It would probably be so different it would be kind of stupid. One of Jay's goal was to make characters feel authentic and feel like they were taking right out of there game (at least, that's what I've gotten out of reading interviews.)

15. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

The jump is a big problem. In the newer Bionic Commando, the protagonist has the ability to jump. But the protagonist of that game isn't Radd. Without jumping he would be useless in many levels.

16. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Actually, in the newer games the protagonist is still Radd. His full name in these games is Nathan "Rad" Spencer.

The jump should only be as high as the Rearmed 2 game.

17. powergo

powergo Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I think rad would be a cool addition, but
    I agree with aliceandsven about *cough* kirby *cough*

18. Eric Thorstad

Eric Thorstad Level 2: Koopa

Here are some great ways to add this iconic character to the roster of SMBC;
    -The first power up (mushroom) would make his are extend to the edge of the screen.
    -His second and higher power ups increase the damage, and give variety to his gun.
    -Maybe he could get some of power-ups from contra, since he also uses a gun.
    -He wouldn't need many of the platforming aids that most characters have, since he has that arm thingy.

19. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Interestingly, I think Bionic Commando Guy was one of the characters originally planned for the game. I just don't think he would work very well though.

20. Eric Thorstad

Eric Thorstad Level 2: Koopa

Why not? His extending bionic arm would be a perfect fit in the mushroom kingdom. For example, you are fighting one of the Bowser-type bosses at the end of a fortress. A good tactic would be to simply hang from the ceiling and shoot him, and dodge the fireballs by raising up and down.