Request Radd Spencer Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Jcogginsa, Jun 13, 2011.

1. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

IIRC, the main issue was the fact that he can't jump, and SMB doesn't always provide convenient handholds.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  2. Eric Thorstad

Eric Thorstad Level 2: Koopa

That was something that I had forgotten about.

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The Bionic Commando is named Nathan "Radd" Spencer. Super Joe was another character in the game who did not have a bionic arm.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

because swinging and climbing onto platforms is sure to provide all kinds of wonky level bugs. Like on 1-3 what happens if you can swing too low and go off the bottom of the screen? Do you die? But you're attaching to the platform and swinging. What happens if you swing into a wall? And like Curvis said he can't jump, meaning some levels are going to be covered with floating platformers unless he gets a jump.

5. Fusion

Fusion Level 1: Goomba

The original game's mechanics allow for moments like that. If a player saves themselves from otherwise certain death that way, I don't think they should lose a life for trying. As for swinging into enemies, it should knock them back as it does in the original.

The same thing that happens in the original game if you try that: You bounce back from the impact.

I do think he should be able to jump, but only because SMB1's level design naturally doesn't account for a character who can't jump. It certainly didn't account for the other characters already in, and they've had adjustments to account for that difference.

Eric Thorstad likes this.
  6. Eric Thorstad

Being able to jump does seem like the simplest fix, in order to add Nathan "Radd" Spencer.

Also, how does one rename this thread?

7. Fusion

I think you should be able to do that from editing the first post.

I came up with a theoretical music table for Spencer. It's based off of the most recent version of SMBC, which has more music for events and maps. I tried to account for everything:

EDIT: STUFFED INTO A SPOILER (HOPEFULLY) BECAUSE THE BBCODE IS MESSING WITH ME (everything should have a URL tag, but it's being overidden)

Selected - After 7 seconds:
    ^ alternate:
    Enter Pipe to Underground - First 7 seconds of:
    Overworld -
    Overworld (Night) -
    Underground -
    Coin Heaven -
    Castle -
    Castle (Boss) -
    Underwater -
    Invincible - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXpq8Hja3qk
    Lose a Life - *sound effect, not a piece of music*
    Game 0ver - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3RiFDFxclM
    Stage Clear - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gN2xV8ghHSs
    Axe Grabbed - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xTYcqPzXYQ
    Princess Saved - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVGf_qvfeHw

Lilfut, Molly Jayne and Eric Thorstad like this.
  8. Eric Thorstad

It didn't work.

9. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

Well, the best solution is definitely to give him the ability to jump. Anyway, here are a few reasons why he should be in SMBC:

1.) the bionic arm!!!!
    2.) different weapons
    3.) epic music
    4.)

Mitewing likes this.
  10. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

A mod should combine the two Bionic Commando request threads.

Anon421 likes this.
  11. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Mergied.

Mitewing likes this.
  12. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Link can't jump in his game either, and he can't get over that pipe eithAWWWWW WAIT HE CAN IN SMBC. I'm pretty sure they can give him some jumping ability.

13. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

Link gets the ability to jump in the GB/GBC games, after he finds the Roc's Feather.

14. TheomanZero

It's not quite the same. Link couldn't jump in his original game, but that was a top-down game in which vertical movement was insignificant. Bionic Commando is a sidescrolling game based specifically around platforming without jumping.

15. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Platforming without... ???

does not compute...

what system is this for, I think I need to play it.

16. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

The GB-version is my favourite, it's both a great and challenging game. You should check it out. :)

17. Mitewing

Another problem I've come across conceptualizing Radd is breaking bricks. He can't aim upward with his gun, and using the Bionic Arm would attach itself to a brick and not break it.

18. TheomanZero

Though the NES version is the most popular.

Mitewing likes this.
  19. Mitewing

The NES is most popular. There are also arcade, GB, and GBC games. The NES version was recently updated with Bionic Commando: Rearmed. The sequel, Rearmed 2, adds *gasp* jumping!

20. Fusion

He does have weapons that would, in theory, allow him to do this. However, Radd's options would be significantly limited. Below are two screenshots I've taken, demonstrating the projectile lives of two 3-way firing weapons.
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'd suppose allowing Radd to switch between weapons would be in order.