Request Random gameplay modes

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

One feature I would love to see in future versions of SMBC are some ganeplay modes that add some random elements to the game in order to greatly enhance replayability.

Some ideas for random features include:
    • Random Question Block Items
      • Randomly makes all question blocks in a level either give you one coin, multiple coins, a power-up, a one-up, or a star. The chance of a question block being a particular item would approximate the distribution of most levels, e.g. a 65% chance of a block being one coin, a 15% chance of being multiple coins, a 10% chance of being a power-up, a 5% chance of being a star, and a 5% chance of being a one-up (of course question blocks containing vines would not be affected). This encourages level exploration and makes each question block a true unknown with each play through.
    • Random Enemies
      • Each of the enemies in a particular level are randomly selected so that the player cannot predict which enemy they will encounter at a given time. Lakitu and/or Bullet Bills and/or Flying Cheep Cheeps would randomly be chosen to appear in a level (perhaps dependent on difficulty level). Piranha plants would be placed at random on pipes throughout the level.
    • Random Secret Areas Location
      • Makes the secret areas that are accessible from a pipe/vine appear on a randomly selected pipe/question block containing a vine. This again encourages exploration in each level.
    • Random Environments
      • All day, night, underground, castle or snow (e.g. World 6-3) levels are randomly chosen to be either in the day, night, underground, castle or snow. The background, enemy colors, and music would match the environment chosen.
    I had previously suggested all of these modes in the Wiki, but I'm posting them here for discussion.

2. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

I really like the random music set feature, and I like choosing characters at random; the only thing I don't like about choosing a random character is, well, I sometimes get Mario and it annoys me so I just commit suicide (even if I'm in survival mode, which is what I usually play); I hope in the update you'll be able to turn off certain characters or other randomly selected features, so that you can single-out your favorites. :)

3. Frozsoul

Agreed, it would be nice if you could customize your roster, or at least the characters that are randomly selected.

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

That actually sounds pretty neat. I normally take a pretty set path through the game, but this could provide some interesting variety. The one problem I can see with this is that in SMB, Stars and 1ups are never found in ? Blocks -- they're always in Brick Blocks.

uglyrodent likes this.
  5. Frozsoul

Hmm...that's a very good point TheomanZero, I never realized that 1-ups and stars didn't come out of question blocks. I can see three options to deal with this:
    1. Leave the Random Question Blocks Items option above as is and actually allow 1-ups and stars to come out of question blocks
    2. Change the distribution of power-ups above to remove the ability for 1-ups and stars to come out of question blocks
    3. Add the ability for power-ups to be randomized among bricks as well (e.g. 20% of bricks in the level have the power-up distribution listed above)

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Random secret pipes should instead leave the secret pipes where they are, but change where they lead to instead. For instance instead of the first set leading to 2, 3 and 4 should change to a random set of world numbers.

A random level feature would be pretty awesome as well, so you never know what's next.

Also random skins for each type of skins.

7. Frozsoul

I think there's also merit in randomizing which pipes leads to secret areas, to encourage exploration with each playthrough. But either way would be a nice feature.

8. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Love randomization!!! And all these ideas seem to be cool! (If well implemented)
    Random Level Order should also be an option!

Frozsoul likes this.
  9. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Level 5: Spiny

Indeed. I made a request for level randomization here.