Request Random map skins shouldn't change mid-level

Discussion in 'Features' started by BTB, Feb 15, 2012.

1. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I'm thinking that if the map skin setting is "random", it's a bit much to have it change every time you enter a new "part" of the level (i.e. going down a pipe or into the clouds). Whatever the level map skin starts as, it should stay that way through the whole level.

On a somewhat-separate note, it might be nice to be able to pick and choose which skins you want to have available randomly. The "Demon Returns" one really, REALLY hurts my eyes, but I like all of the others.

2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

As for your first complaint, I'm not sure how feasible that is. Since it reloads the skin each time it loads a new part of the level, if it's set to random this is pretty much unavoidable. On the other hand, it could be built so they're all considered one "part", but we all know how long it takes to completely overhaul the way the levels are rendered.

It might be possible to either
    a) have the game record what skin was used previously in the level, though this could open itself to a HOST of glitches or
    b) pre-select all skins when the game starts and have them consistent in each stage (which could cause significantly larger loading times and possible slowdown due to the extra stuff it has to remember).

I'm not saying your idea is bad in any way, of course. I would LOVE for that to be how it works. It would make more sense. I'm just not sure there's an elegant or easy solution. Can any programmers out there confirm/deny my half-baked theories?

As for the Demon Returns skin...eh, it has a lot of bright, clashing colors. I like it, but I can't really fault you.

Rey D likes this.
  3. BTB

I try to avoid asking for things that are unfeasible/more work than they're worth. In this case, there *is* a random selection that can occur once per level, and that is the character you play as. I imagine it would probably be quite easy to make the map skin follow suit.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. uglyrodent

Well the characters are generated a tad differently to my knowledge (their data is consistent cause it's never reloaded), but I suspect it would be a similar process yeah. I'm mainly posting this in hopes the thread gets a little more attention :V

5. BTB

The more I ask for shit, the more I think I should go through the threads around here and compile a list of common requests and put them all into one place.

uglyrodent likes this.
  6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Hm... Uglyrodent is right.
    I must admit that Demon Returns is not really NES, even though they try to be close. I like that skin though. It gives a more or less appropriate mood to Simon. :p
    I think it'd be some extra work to make "lists of skins I want" in the game.

7. BTB

Sooner or later, it's going to have to be damn near mandatory, since Jay himself seems to be aware that upcoming updates are going to be flooded with custom skins.

8. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Well, as it's up to him (and Ryuza?) to choose which skins go into the game, not really. :p

9. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

I like it the way ti is. You start off in SNES world, go down a pipe to end up in Game Boy world, then you come back up and it's Demon Returns. It's like the whole world changed while you were traipsing around underground. I would definitely leave it. That is why it is called Random. If you want to play with one set, select it.

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. BTB

By that same logic, I could just as easily say that the character you're playing as should change every time you exit/enter a pipe.

uglyrodent likes this.
  11. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Are you kidding, that would be fucking awesome. If he could make it do that I would be all for it lol. It would be like... Super random or something.

uglyrodent likes this.
  12. BTB

That would be obnoxious >.>

13. uglyrodent

Not if "Character Skins" could be set to random independently. Choosing Random on a select screen give you a random skin, but unless the option is set to Random it would remain consistent through levels.

At least that's my idea.

14. my Favorited part of the game is when I come back up a pipe and come back to a new world with new monsters.

uglyrodent likes this.