Not a Bug Random music set not working properly

Discussion in 'Bugs' started by Frozsoul, Feb 11, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

It seems that when you have the random music set option selected, it only works after your character changes environments. It doesn't work in the first environment of your character (it plays your character's music instead).

2. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

Are you sure? I'll have to check later.

3. Frozsoul

Hmm...that's strange. For eight times in a row it was only playing the character's initial music. Now that I'm trying again it seems to be randomizing. It's possible I was just unlucky, or maybe there's specific conditions required?

4. Jay

The code doesn't do anything differently when you first start a level. It must have just chosen character 8 times in a row. It's random after all.

uglyrodent likes this.
  5. Frozsoul

It appears that whenever I start the game using the Single Character Random, Current Console, quit, and repeat the same process over and over again, it always starts World 1-1 either playing Mario's theme, or playing the Character's theme (not a random music theme).

6. Jay

Music set either chooses map or character. There are no other options.

7. Frozsoul

Does this mean that setting "Random" to Music Set only randomly chooses between the map or your character, rather than randomly choosing musics from all characters?

If so, that would mean it's no longer possible to play as one character but listen to music themes from other characters aside from Mario (which was possible in 1.2.03)

8. Jay

That's correct. Since each skin has its own music, there'd be way to many choices.

9. nickreaper

nickreaper Level 6: Lakitu

Yeah, what if I wanna go around blowing stuff up with Bill and listen to Castlevania music at the same time? Or what if I wanna downward thrust while listening to MegaMan's awesome sound track? I think that's something you should really put back in. Also, where's Bloody Tears? Granted I haven't played through every level as Simon, I'd still like the underground theme to be Bloody Tears again.

10. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Alright, I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but when I completely randomize the music, all it plays is Mario-series music and nothing else. As you may have surmised, this defeats the entire random aspect of it.

I'm not sure if I am doing something wrong or what, but it makes one of the Challenges in the challenge subforum impossible/pointless (cause otherwise you're just playing Mario all the time. Which I did 25 years ago.)

11. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

If you play as a character other than Mario Brothers (default skin) and set "music set" as random, I think it sometimes plays that character's music. Not sure.

12. Nemephosis

Okay so 98% f the time it's Mario music. Rarely, very rarely, will I get a music track from the character I am playing as, but otherwise, it's the Mario show.

13. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I would like to similarly mention that "random" only pulls from Map and Character. I'd rather have an option that randomizes from all music in the game.

14. Nemephosis

That's pretty much what I expected "random" to be. If that's how it is supposed to be then I guess it isn't a bug, but it also shouldn't be called "Random" either. I know I sure expected something like that.

15. Frozsoul

This issue was previously discussed in a separate bug report here. As with before, I would prefer if "Random" selected from among all characters. Alternatively, perhaps we could have a new "Random All" option (to randomize among all character's tracks) and the current Random option would be renamed "Random Character/Map" instead.

16. Greymon57

Greymon57 Level 3: Paratroopa
    Patron

I don't believe this has been reported yet. If I choose Random for both Music set and Music console, I end up receiving music for the selected Character skin. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong but wasn't that selection supposed to throw random tracks from any character in any game? Also I noticed this in the Lost Levels stages. Not sure if it happens on other stages, as I haven't been playing them since the update.

17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

No. Try 2.1 if you don't believe me.

Faruga likes this.