Request Red Mage Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Crazy, Jul 8, 2011.

1. Crazy

Crazy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I would REALLY love to see Red Mage in SMBC. Especially as a more advanced character. I wanted to incorporate swords somewhere but I can't find a place for it without making him too easy to play.

Basic:
    Can run and jump. Still thinking of a possible spell he can cast... I didn't play FF too much but I was thinking of him casting Thunder and a lightning bolt is cast at a set distance from him, and has to travel to the bottom of the screen. Kills anything vertically in its path. Red Mage can't move while the lightning bolt is being animated.

Super Mushroom:
    Turns into Red Wizard. Thunder's cast time is faster?

Fire Flower:
    Casts Fire which moves directly horizontally and kills anything in its path. This might be a little overpowered though... But I don't think so since the Fire animation was small in FF.

Star:
    Is granted a Cure spell, in which he gets the equivalent of Fire Flower (or maybe Super Mushroom?). Can only be held for that level.

Music:
    Select Character:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPkoNICjQFI&feature=list_related&playnext=1&list=PLA9DECA05E9BCFB92
    In Game:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XjPF3AwVPM4

Dungeon:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz-Uql5n50w&feature=BFa&list=PLA9DECA05E9BCFB92&index=12
    VICTORY:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ_7ipJ6Cx8&feature=related

Discuss the epicness.

Eric Thorstad likes this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Alright fuck yes! I think this could be even better than Black Mage or Fighter... it's both!

Here's my input:

I like the lightning bolt idea, since there are already lots of characters that shoot straight ahead or have similar projectile mechanics. I think he should be able to move though, depending on how fast the bolt goes, just put in a very small "casting" delay and then let him move again, since it will already be semi challenging to aim with the bolt. I also think that in his basic form, he should at the very least be able to melee attack.

3. Crazy

well he could have a rapier or something then?

4. Yabuturtle

Yabuturtle Level 3: Paratroopa

5. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

OBJECTION!
    The witness's testimony has a clear contradiction!
    :p

However the spells of FF are incorporated, it would be nice to see the three big ones (Fire, Ice, and Bolt), and however it can be worked in maybe it could be a Kingdom Hearts thing. Fire is a small projectile that does a lot to one target, Ice does medium damage in a wide area, and thunder does very many small damage attacks all around you. How to switch between them would be a problem, since one button has to be used for his sword. Just a thought.

Okay, I admit it. That was just my idea for how a Black Mage would work. Still seems appropriate though.

6. Crazy

Well, I wanted to keep to make the turn-based-ness of the game vibrant, and with Red Mage being unable to move throughout the casting it's somewhat like giving your opponent a turn, especially if you miscalculated where the spell was going to land and completely missed a koopa or something.

^Which makes me think Thunder can be cast at random distances from you?

7. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I never said he could still move during the casting, just an idea for the effect.

8. Crazy

Oh yeah I forgot to mention my thoughts on that... That would kind of be like taking away from the single-targeting aspect in my opinion

9. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

It depends on the non platformer character. Link had enough gameplay to be fit for SMBC which made him almost simmilar to Link from Zelda II. Red Mage really doesn't have any type of gameplay that can be made for a side scroller.

10. Yabuturtle

Yabuturtle Level 3: Paratroopa

Maybe, maybe not. The characters Jay mentioned are from non platformers, as far as I know. Who knows how Red Mage will be in this game, but Jay can edit the game however he wants anyway. He can always make changes to the character if need be. He can turn a non platforming character into a great platforming character.

11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I like this idea, although the only way to really have him properly differ from the Black Mage would be to make sure he has a decent melee attack with a sword. If he's all spells, then the more iconic Black Mage would be a better choice (I suppose ideally every Final Fantasy character could be in the game, but there would be little difference among them, so picking just one seems to be the best option).

I think it would be great to have all three basic elemental spells, as well. I like the idea of "LIT" shooting down some distance from you, and "FIRE" shooting forward. "ICE" could possibly freeze enemies, although it doesn't do that in Final Fantasy. The Red Mage could even have MP that either refills over time (like SOPHIA's hover meter) or enemies could randomly drop little "potion" icons (like the ones in Final Fantasy) which would restore a bit of MP. Or, the MP could be limited, and it only refills after each level. This would make you use spells sparingly, but there would be enough MP to be able to use some magic without fear of running out too quickly. Extra Fire Flowers could also refill some MP a bit, though. The amount of MP could even be based on difficulty setting, with more MP on easier settings and less MP on harder settings. Perhaps 15 MP (spells use 1 each) on the easy settings, then 10 MP on Normal, then 5 MP on the harder difficulties.

For selecting these spells, it seems like the game could really use "weapon toggle" buttons, which I've brought up before. Jay could include a "toggle left" and a "toggle right" button, which would allow for easy switching between weapons for several of the characters. These buttons would easily enable Bill to acquire more weapons upon power-up collection; they would make giving more weapons to Mega Man easier; Samus could cycle between the Ice and Wave beams when fully powered up; Simon and Ryu could cycle through several different sub-weapons; SOPHIA could cycle through the various special weapons from Blaster Master; Link could cycle through his various special weapons. It would be a great addition to the game that would allow for easy incorporation and selection of special weapons without having to put together a bunch of different menu systems (although unique menu systems for different characters would certainly be cool).

So I think the Red Mage could work rather well. Oh, he could even have different swords as he gets power-ups. He could start with the Rapier, then get the Silver Sword, and then finally the Sun Sword (or something like that).

roman6a likes this.
  12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"Well, I wanted to keep to make the turn-based-ness of the game vibrant, and with Red Mage being unable to move throughout the casting it's somewhat like giving your opponent a turn, especially if you miscalculated where the spell was going to land and completely missed a koopa or something."

Ok, I get it now, good idea!