Request Request: Add Graphics Filters

Discussion in 'Features' started by DarkBowser007, Nov 8, 2013.

1. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

For those of you out there who play NES games by emulator, you'll know exactly what I'm talking about. Graphics filters mess with the graphics to improve them, and make them appear not as "blocky." A simple 2x filter would work perfectly here, if that's possible to implement.

[​IMG] Example of the filter with Super C.

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"Improve"

I don't think so, Tim.

I know the point is to try to replicate the "Television effect" and make it seem like you're playing on a television... but your example picture doesn't look anything like that and actually looks terrible compared to the crisp pixels of the standard display.

I don't know why people think things looked like THAT on televisions... or can they really not appreciate pixels? Blocky? Seriously?

ThomasMink and Mitewing like this.
  3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

This one filter is not meant to emulate TV screen.

There are TV screen-emulating filters that do "scanlines".

Faruga likes this.
  4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Right, the example filter does not seem to emulate TVs. Which means it's even more arbitrary than the ones that do.

This is the way the graphics of these games are, "blocky", it's called low-resolution sprites.

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Some people like it when bigger resolution.
    They already have "a" graphics filter. It's the greenscale.

6. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

The greenscale option is not a filter, it's a collection of palettes. Implementing a graphics filter would not only increase the flash/browser/video requirements, but bring the game render to a miserably slow pace.

It's not simple at all to implement such filters on a high-level platform without massive slowdown. Game Maker has a better video surface handling than flash and it's still impossible on it.

Such complex, per-pixel processes are better run on a driver-level, either in a custom renderer written in a low level language or in a shader. AFAIK, flash doesn't shaders.

Beed28, Rey D and Faruga like this.
  7. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

ooh
    ooh
    hi-def-sprites
    overlay

nah that's a shit idea