Request Duke Nukem

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Overlord, Mar 14, 2012.

1. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I didn't know for the longest time that Duke Nukem was ever a 2D game. I'm not sure if it's common knowledge or not since it was a really old game for the PC. But it was there and there are 2 games. I got to play it with the copy of Duke Nukem 3D for the PC (It also came with some 3D games too but were unrelated) and I figured, why not bring him here? Or at least request it because he is in 8-bit form, and didn't have much other then the upgrade to his weapon.

(Wiki site for Duke Nukem 1: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duke_Nukem_(1991_video_game))

If he was in the game I would think that it would be a simple "point up and forward" kind of thing since he didn't really get to shoot down or diagonally. He could stomp on enemies like Mario while being able to shoot at a distance with his gun. Though he would only have a few upgrades and mostly be around his weapon. The only thing it did in the game, though, was allow him to shoot more then once at a time (totaling to 4 times with 3 upgrades).
    Though that's just the first one. In the next one, Duke Nukem II, he got different weapons such as a Laser, Flamethrower, and a Rocket Launcher and if that was to be used I would suggest it be in that order. He also got a cloaking device that allowed him to become invincible and that could be added bonus to the Star. With, also, a rapid fire effect since it was one of the powerups as well in the game that Duke could get but it wore off eventually. (Oh and I think Duke got to crouch in this game) So overall he could be fun to use and I'd go with the Duke Nukem II model.

This video will show the Flamethrower, Rocket Launcher and using the Flamethrower as a "jetpack" so it can really give everyone an idea. Only thing it doesn't really show is the Laser but it's pretty much a blue line of power. lol

Overview:
    Z - Jump (Either a really high jump or double jump)
    X - Fire Weapon
    C - Flamethrower Jump

Upgrades:
    Mushroom - Extra hit
    Laser - Straight line shot. Can shoot through enemies but not walls
    Flamethrower - Widened shot, can shoot through everything including walls, and is the only weapon he can shoot down with to propel himself up.
    Missile - OP weapon, slow fire rate but worth it. Can be switched with the Flamethrower at any time.
    Star - Invincible (maybe invisible), with Rapid Fire.

Of course I'm wanting to see what everyone else thinks. ;)

2. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I actually played the side-scrolling Duke Nukem games when I was younger (as well as the god-awful Mega Man PC games, but that's a whole other story).

I have nothing to add about Duke being his own character, but I will say a skin for Bill was made.. so Duke is out there at least. :)

Rey D likes this.
  3. Tsukiyomaru0

Tsukiyomaru0 Level 3: Paratroopa

Duke Nukem had his own game for Game Boy Color. HIs game was DAMN HARD there.

4. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

That's awesome. lol I had no idea.

I saw that on the wiki thing but I never played it. It said it was different then the computer counter part but I don't know by how much.

5. Tsukiyomaru0

Well, different from Duke Nukem 2 and 1, surely, but just in terms of story and weapons, I suppose.

6. DarkSonic

DarkSonic Level 2: Koopa

Duke Nukem is cool,sadly he will be just a skin(i think).

7. Tsukiyomaru0

Let's see... For 8-bit, his DN1 or DN GBC sprites could be used. For 16-bit, his DN2 I suppose?

8. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

He should be a Bill skin, not a character, it's my final opinion.

Tsukiyomaru0 and Mr.Giang like this.
  9. Tsukiyomaru0

Whether he becomes his own character or just a reskin, I'm fine... Speaking of...
    Ballsofsteel.png
    Made this around 2005 with the only Contra sprite I found back then.