Request (Request) Random Mode

Discussion in 'Features' started by MasterShizzle, Feb 3, 2012.

1. MasterShizzle

MasterShizzle Level 5: Spiny

Just what it says on the tin. I think it'd be awesome to have an option or separate game mode that completely randomizes the levels.

On Random Mode you would start off on 1-1, and the last level is still 8-4, but everything else from there is completely randomized. You could potentially go through three palaces in a row, followed by two Lakitu levels. You could still take the warp pipe in 4-2 to 8-1, but now that has the potential to move you backwards. You don't know, it's random! Gaah!

I think it'd add a great amount of replay value to the game: it's unpredictable, but still not terribly game-breaking as the play styles and strategies for each level would remain unchanged. And it'd be painfully simple to do, from a programming perspective.

Another possible variation could be Short Play: play through a randomly-selected four levels, twelve levels, or however-many levels. We could try for completion, high score, or even time.

Frozsoul, Nat and ketchupninja like this.
  2. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

I like the idea! But don't you think it will take alot of coding? And jays nearly done with 2.0 so...:bassdash:

3. MasterShizzle

I've never seen the source code for SMBC, but I imagine there's a simple procedure when the player starts the game/finishes a level that determines which level is next to be loaded, with an exception somewhere for warp pipes.

To implement Random mode, you'd simply have to change that code to draw from a predetermined level array instead of a set sequence of levels, like playing songs in iTunes from a playlist instead of directly from the library. After that, it's simple to make Random mode assign the levels in a random order, then store them in the level array to be recalled in sequence, just like making a playlist in iTunes and hitting "shuffle". Short Play would take the "playlist" and delete levels from it to make the game shorter, or Random Short Play would do both randomization and then trimming.

I wouldn't have much trouble designing a system like that, and I know that Jay and his team are much better coders than I. It's not a lot of coding at all, since it wouldn't affect anything in the game physics or controls or graphics or anything.

Of course, one of the actual coders would have a more informed opinion. Again, I've never seen the source code, so it may be much more complicated than I laid out here. Either way, I think Random Mode would be a great feature.

4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Sounds like you were inspired by Mario Kart: Double Dash!!. :D

5. Nat

Nat Level 6: Lakitu

Eh, i guess. :bassdash:

6. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

This is a fabulous idea that should be relatively easy to code.

7. MasterShizzle

Baby Park is my absolute favorite track of the franchise. :joy:

No, the idea came from staring at my iTunes playlist and getting fed up with the same songs coming right after another. So I hit the "Shuffle" button and then alt-tabbed back to playing SMBC.