Request Request : Red Piranha Plants should be faster

Discussion in 'Features' started by VGamer, Jan 31, 2014.

1. VGamer

VGamer Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

The title pretty much explains everything. The Red Piranha Plants move up and down at a very quite fast pace. In SMBC, their speed difference is very hard to tell from regular Green Piranha Plants. I believe that this should be changed to give somewhat more of a use to have Red Piranha Plants in the game.

Mitewing likes this.
  2. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

I'm a bit rusty...do this happens on the original SMB?

If no, then it only could be added as either a cheat or a difficulty option.

Still, not a very interesting change. i mean, the change is almost negligible, and red piranha plants on the original SMB were meant to be only cosmetic changes, not gameplay.

3. SomeGuy712x

SomeGuy712x Level 2: Koopa

Actually, the original SMB only had green Piranha Plants. However, red Piranha Plants appeared in The Lost Levels, I believe starting in world 4 (there were only green ones before world 4, if I recall correctly). They moved up and down faster than green ones, and would still pop out of their pipes even if the player was standing right next to the pipes (however, standing on the pipes still kept them from coming out).

4. TiagoDu

So, it isn't coded on SMBC? How much is the difference between the green and red speeds?

Anyway, if it's not in, it may be on a bugfix update, maybe. ;)

5. SomeGuy712x

@TiagoDu
    I just checked the Piranha Plant speeds using Super Mario All-Stars, and it looks like the green ones go through an up/down cycle roughly every 9 seconds on the game's timer, while the red ones rise and drop faster and complete one up/down cycle in roughly 7 game seconds (both of these assume that Mario doesn't interrupt their cycles by moving near or on top of their pipes). Should I make a quick video showing the different Piranha Plant speeds?

TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  6. VGamer

You mine as well since we all need a visual appearance of how they really moved in the game.

7. TiagoDu

Yeah, visual representation is always welcome. :)

8. SomeGuy712x

Done. Here's the video:

ThomasMink, TheomanZero and VGamer like this.
  9. VGamer

Well maybe I was wrong. I thought they were faster than that for some reason..

10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

They *are* faster.