Requested Characters - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Jay, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

THANK YOU!!! Now I only hope those new to the forums will take the time to read this!

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I would also like to encourage everyone not to be antagonistic, and to help new members whenever you feel it's necessary, by sending them VMs and explaining things, or whatever.

3. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

Yeah, but LOOK AT THAT!!! They just come here, dump their shitload of characters and disappear, never to be seen again. Things like that are the ones that tick me off, specially with facepalming requests like the most recent ones...

4. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

I know I have a few that I've been meaning to move to the Wiki. Though I know I've been just as bad bitching about Z2 Link in various thread some I kind of regret posting in. Mainly due to the fact I had to edit a quote along with a message. That while not meant to directly hurt any ones feelings. But because I wasn't sure how to add names to quotes I didn't quote the person correctly who was ironically quoted Jay himself and the person I was trying to quote said he thought my qoute was quoting Jay of which it kind of did honestly though I've fixed it since I just hope Jay didn't think it was toward him or meant as anything but a joke. http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/6225-Smbc-Development-Update/page3 Post #22. You may see how before I fixed it it may have looked like it was toward Jay. Again I'm sorry if anything was misunderstood.

5. davicoro

davicoro Level 1: Goomba

oh... my post got forgotten:cry:

6. Ganymede

Ganymede Level 5: Spiny

It's not that posts are necessarily forgotten, just that the more you give us, the more we have to talk about~! A lot of people aren't as familiar with Rygar, and given that this is a discussion thread, I can think of no better venue for you to elaborate. What makes Rygar so great for SMBC? What sort of awesome powerups does he have? What skins could you see working well for him? For those newbies out there (like me! :o) what game does he come from in the first place? There's all sorts of cool stuff to talk about here, and I'm sure there's even more from the game itself, so don't limit yourself!

7. x3point14

x3point14 Level 6: Lakitu

I think luigi needs to be added but his fire flower needs to give him a different power than mario maybe?

8. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I haven't forgotten it. I lurv me some Rygar! One of my favorite NES games. He would be excellent for SMBC. You should post some gameplay footage to show how cool he is. I would but I post on here ftom my phone.

9. Ian Mallard

Ian Mallard Guest

This is really geeky of me, but I think it'd be cool if Ben 10 was in SMBC.

10. Sergy92

Explain why. And "Because he kicks iron ass!" doesn't count. Go ahead and try.

11. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

If 90% of these characters made it in. It would really ruin SMBC for me.

12. Sergy92

True, true...

13. mitsymckenzie777

Depends all in all which ones started straight from video games? Was that %10?

I agree we can't add just any old cartoon character or even movie characters such as Batman who of course I know was in a comic book before movies. Therefor in a way if you add Ben 10 you might as well add any cartoon characters. If we add movie characters we might as well add Adam Sandler's character from The Wedding Singer. Batman all in all you might as well add Huckleberry Finn from the classic Mark Twain novel which BTW I believe they made a game on the NES of that so just because Batman had on the NES doesn't necessarily make him a candidate for SMBC.

It is kind of obvious though that whether or not it's in the next update. The game will eventually have 16 bit characters and skins. So any character of which first appeared in any game should be eligible.

Finally to overall say it would totally ruin the game. I don't really want book,comic book, cartoon,T.V. or movie characters overall in the game. But in the end no one is forcing me to use them. End of story.

14. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

They have to be straight from video games? That's kinda harsh.

I disagree. To be a candidate for SMBC a character has to have a game (with sprites, I believe) and a fanbase. Batman has both.

15. Crownjo

Also the most important thing for a character is the gameplay and to see if it will work the best. Someone that can be too clunky and slow or somthing that doesn't offer anything too new would be worthless.

16. mitsymckenzie777

Maybe so on the fact of saying a character should have a game. Which...
    Only a few Batman games after the NES in my view and my disappointment coming from the fact that the NES Batman title the same cover art was used in a Gameboy and Genesis title o the same name. Unfortunately neither played exactly the same Genesis version from playing the first level seemed close but lost my interest and the Gameboy title being totally different all together. Also I never cared for the sequels whether based on comics,cartoons and other movies they fell short of my expectations.

Though Batman Returns on the SNES seemed good at first as a beat em up Final Fight clone and fell apart when it transitioned into a action plaformer nightmare in my opinion at least. Though newer current generation titles Arkham Asylum and the upcoming Arkham City look promising I just haven't had time or money to check them out. Due to other series in my interest.

All in all not necessarily in the gaming universe old Huck has a large fan base among readers.

Fankly I could care less about large fan bases eventually those characters could run out an Jay could overall use some of the smaller characters. Of which to prove a point if it was my game I'd every so often through in a low fan based character in respect for the underdogs. Even if it provided new game play or not look at Proto Man after all. Obviously Bass would more provide better all new gameplay before Proto Man ever could. But I like Proto Man better and welcome him to the crossover with open arms.

As for clunky gameplay look at Mega Man all together due to the jump argument now solved. People were torn between the clunky gameplay of new SMBC Mega Man. Plus the less overpowered classic SMBC Maga Man. clunkyness can always be ajusted in my view.

Plus in all since of Larger fan bases before playing SMBC no offense I had never heard of Sophia III,Jason or even Blaster Master before in my life. But am very interested in the series now though I've only seen a small amount of games in it. Case and point.

EDIT:
    Just standing up for someone who couldn't thwart overall popular opinion over a simple request that still may never happen. But in all openness shouldn't be silenced or insulted.
    Ben 10
    Normal would be human form he could play similar to Mario in this form.
    Mushroom though this could take a lot of programing so I don't know if it could work. Ben would take the form of perhaps one of his 10 random aliens from the series.
    Flower depending on what form of Ben would appear in SMBC he could go into whatever ultimate form of the alien he is currently using.

My overall suggestions would take a popular character with as far as I know if not good has at least a decent enough fan base to support him. Next he would ad totally new elements to gameplay being the first to randomize in gameplay after picking up the mushroom. In all after my ideas I would say that some if not most would agree with the overall greatness and awesomeness of such a character.

17. Crownjo

Mega Man....clunky....what?

18. mitsymckenzie777

When Jay changed Mega Man's jump he in all overall saying played kind of clunky. Not everyone had an easy time using Rush all the time more like every 5 seconds in the game. But luckily this problem was solved in the last update when Mega Man's classic SMBC jump was put as optional. But in all view point the low jump Mega Man was a little clunky,annoying,confusing and and down right difficult to play as.

In every essence it came to be a truth through Mega Man that Jay can overall adjust a character especially if clunky to play in a good if not great way all together. He could most likely fix the clunkiest characters ever if he wants into good characters without compromising gameplay.

19. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I don't get your argumentation, mitsy. Let me clarify that I only said that they would be candidate, not "practically already implemented". The bigger the fanbase, the better their chances. And bonus points if Jay is a fan too.

If they are from a 3-D game the chances are much slimmer, as you would either have to make a custom sprite, or somehow rip the model, make the game accept models and then put it in.

The reason they have to be from a game (Ben 10 had a game adaption some time ago) is so they have some gameplay. I don't think we'll be seeing any characters made completely from scratch, but I might be wrong.

Also, I read that Huckleberry Finn part. While he did have a game, he has little to no fanbase. Batman, on the other hand, has been requested before.

20. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Personally I am against any licensed characters being added to the game. I feel like it goes against the spirit of the game.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.