Requested Characters - General Discussion

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Jay, May 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spokavriel

Spokavriel Level 5: Spiny

An obstacle with any fighting game character is the fact it takes key combos for most moves. Platformers can't really leave you with the time for that. So the real question becomes if you include a character from that Genre just how much are you going to have to change them so they can work in the current environment? You can't exactly grapple Goombas and Koopa Troopas.

2. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

You always have the basic moves that use only one button press (and the damn stomp). Button combo moves are for the pro player to reach new heights.

3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I'd like to see those sprites (yeah I'm too lazy to click a few times).

As far as I know, 2P fighting games characters aren't really agile. Could he jump high and far enough?

4. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Here's a link showing basic attacks.

http://www.spriters-resource.com/gameboy/sfalphagb/sheet/5576

He could jump by pressing up and a double jump pressing up again. Light and heavy attacks are determined if button is tapped or held. I think basing his gameplay on you guys came up for Rash would be a good place to start.

5. Combustible Lemon

Combustible Lemon Level 3: Paratroopa

The Vic Viper suggestion is missing Salamander/Life Force music. Stage 2 music would be perfect for overworld B. Also, who the hell suggested Poison of Snake for being short on time...? That's a waste of a perfectly fine boss theme. Throw Overheat in there instead, and either PoS or The Final Enemy as the castle music.

Now, one more thing. If VV gets implemented, do not screw up its hitbox. The original was a thin line, 1 pixel high and (i think) 16 long. The forcefield, on the other hand - was bigger than that. (G2 only)

Due to flight and contact damage, entering pipes should be done on touch.

Bricks should be resistant to fire, at least 4 shots per block. You'll think twice before trying to troll your way through thicker walls instead of going around.

4-4 will require one gap to be a little bigger for Viper. I don't remember about 7-4, but it's possible as well.

The "fly up" animation for going up vines could be similar to the one in arcade version of Salamander, when stages change from horizontal to vertical.

Options in G1 were limited to two. To balance Viper out and prevent serious lag, stick to that limit. If you're not afraid of lag, the usual limit is four.

The best idea for powerups would obviously be to just include the good ol' power meter with random energy drops from enemies and ignore mushrooms altogether (too rare to be a replacement for energy). However, if the power meter is not possible, this is my idea for the mushroom way:
    - Default: awfully slow movement, missile under B button (two on screen at all times), single shot (two projectiles on screen as well)
    - Mushroom: Speed up, double shot (still two projectile limit per ship so you can't shoot again until both fizzle), one Option (follow pattern in screen space not level space, each has an individual projectile limit)
    - Flower: Even more speed(once only), laser, additional Option(s)
    - Star: 3 hit Forcefield, if forcefield already full then temporary invincibility, if Options maxed out then make them orbit around VV for a short period of time

Throw all this into the wiki page?

6. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Something here smells fishy... like... a tuna melt... topped with pepper-cheese...

7. Combustible Lemon

If you just insulted me then I'm thankful I'm too dumb to get it.

8. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

No I haven't. It was a test to see if my suspicions were correct, no worries.

Welcome to the 'hood!

roman6a likes this.
  9. Combustible Lemon

OH I see now. My post looked like if it was copypasted from a random page, common bot behavior. No, I actually came here to pester the rabbit about Vic Viper.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'd say that description looks detailed enough for the Wiki, and Gradius was an iconic enough NES game to be appropriate in SMB:C. Go for it.

11. Combustible Lemon

I think I'll do some more research on physics/collision before that. (as if I wasn't playing Gradius at least once a day already...)

edit:
    Hitbox nailed down. In all versions it's unaffected by forcefield (I confused it with arcade) and is a line 8 pixels long and 1 high, with horizontal offset varying between games (Gradius 1&2 have it starting on the 4th pixel from the right, being somewhat in the middle. Salamander/LF has it a little more to the left side of the ship.) Vertical offset is always the middle of the sprite, the clearly visible longest horizontal line. (right under cockpit)

Forcefield has 5 hitpoints in every version, and is decreased upon impact with an enemy or a projectile. Level and bigger enemies (in our case, Bowser and maybe plants) bypass forcefield and kill you instantly. The forcefield always turns red on the last hitpoint.

12. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Alright, in the thread for the v2.0 preview video, the idea of White Mage (from Final Fantasy) being in the game was brought up. I've come up with some attacks and spells which could actually work in SMBC.

Basic
    * White Mage appearance (from Final Fantasy)
    * Attacks with the Iron Hammer (brown color)
    * Has 2 MP (all spells cost 1 MP, as in Final Fantasy)
    * Has AFIR (grants immunity to fire, either limited time (2 seconds) or limited hits (1 hit))

Super Mushroom
    * Shaman/Devout appearance (from Final Fantasy III)
    * Attacks with the Silver Hammer (blue-green color)
    * Has 4 MP (all spells cost 1 MP, as in Final Fantasy)
    * Has a stronger AFIR (grants immunity to fire, either limited time (4 seconds) or limited hits (2 hits))

Fire Flower
    * White Wizard (i.e., class change) appearance (from Final Fantasy)
    * Attacks with the Thor Hammer (violet color?)
    * Has 6 MP (all spells cost 1 MP, as in Final Fantasy)
    * Has an even stronger AFIR (grants immunity to fire, either limited time (6 seconds) or limited hits (3 hits))
    * Has FADE (damages one or more enemies)

Some notes on magic:
    * All spells the White Mage has available can be cycled through (somehow)
    * There is no way to refill MP during a level, but all MP is refilled after every level (alternatively, only 1 MP is refilled each level, but all MP is refilled after finishing a world; and/or collecting additional Fire Flowers could refill 1 MP each)
    * AFIR would grant immunity to fire bars, podoboos, and Bowser's fire, for either a set amount of time per level of WM, or for a set number of hits per level of WM
    * FADE could shoot a burst of light and hit either a single enemy or one enemy and an area around it (in Final Fantasy, FADE hit all enemies, so it would be nice to retain the multi-hitting element of the spell); the spell should do a lot of damage, since it does cost MP

Sergy92 and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  13. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

I just thought of two characters that haven't really been mentioned:
    -Gizmo the Mogway (from Gremlins 2: The New Batch)
    -Little Nemo (from Dream Master)

I think Nemo has been mentioned, but not really discussed. I don't think Gizmo has even been mentioned, so I thought I'd bring him up.

14. Spokavriel

Difficulty on Gizmo is the powerups. Not to mention all his sprites are designed for an angle similar to the Zelda games but in a larger scale... Could he fit on the game maps?

15. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

You mean the powerup sprites? I have a couple of ideas for his attacks in certain powers:
    Normal - Throws paper clips
    Mushroom - Uses paper clip as a bow and shoots pencils
    Fire Flower - Uses paper clip as a bow and shoots matches

16. R. Dash

R. Dash Level 1: Goomba

How about Rainbow Dash? She's not form any game, but it would be cool.

Normal: Can kick goombas and koopas in two hits.
    Mushroom: Longer kick, kick kills in 1 hit, and can now semi-fly (2 seconds).
    Fireflower: Can fly for 5 seconds.
    Starpower: Leaves a rainbow trail, and when an enemy is killed, and small Sonic Rainboom appears killing or damaging all nearby enemies.

17. CHAOS_FANTAZY

CHAOS_FANTAZY Level 6: Lakitu

I...congratulations, you win the prize. It takes a lot to find someone who hasn't been suggested.
    Although, I think just about anypony else would be more balanced. We already have SOPHIA III for flying, for one.

Also, have you seen how ponies walk? That's hard to animate in the show, let alone, authentic NES sprites.

roman6a likes this.
  18. Sergy92

Sergy92 Level 7: Bloober

I'm not gonna say anything because if I say what I'm thinking right now all the bronies in this forum will lunge at me..

19. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Well, every character has its potential. I can see how to animate this character but with only 4 colors it won't look as good as it could.

However i really doubt it will get added due to not being from a game at all.

20. Spokavriel

Might have better luck spriting Applejack as an NES character. Even Firefly would be tough because of the difference in colors. Then again Meadly might be do-able.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.