Require Blue Ring to get Red Ring

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 22, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Currently, the Wiki article on "Pickups" says that you need to have the Blue Ring before you can get the Red Ring. I know from experience that this is incorrect, but it got me thinking . . . maybe it should work like that. I mean, currently, the Red Ring is arguably Link's best power-up, and the Blue Ring is a little esoteric. It wouldn't hurt to make the Red Ring harder to get, or the Blue Ring more desirable. Plus, since the Red Tunic overrides the Blue Tunic, this ensures that you would get to see all three colors.
    By the way, I still think that the Red Ring should be changed to the Magic Sword (but still turn your tunic red. Or change the Blue Ring to the Red Ring and make the Mushroom turn your tunic blue).

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It's a shame there are more items than available features for the character. Having the Mushroom turn Link's tunic blue is a neat idea, but as a result you don't get the satisfaction of finding the Blue Ring. Same with the Magic Sword and the Red Ring combined: you don't get the enjoyment of finding both items, just one or the other. Unfortunately, I can't think of any other features apart from perhaps having the Magic Sword give sword beams, having the Red Ring grant bomb immunity, and having the Blue Ring grant an extra hit. The problem with this, though, is that, while functionally it's great, I'd say Link is actually one character who least needs extra health. He's quick and small and less likely to get hit, so giving him extra hits just seems unnecessary.

So...those are my thoughts. I would like to see all of these items be incorporated and useful, but finding a way to do that is just difficult.

Mitewing and Rey D like this.
  3. TheomanZero

. . . Okay, I think there's been a misunderstanding. Here's what I was suggesting. Either:
    1. The Mushroom gives you the White Sword and does not change your tunic color. The Blue Ring protects you from bombs and turns your tunic blue. The Magic Sword increases your sword power, gives you Sword Beams, and turns your tunic red.
    Or:
    2. The Mushroom gives you the White Sword and turns your tunic blue. The Red Ring protects you from bombs and turns your tunic red. The Magic Sword increases your sword power, gives you sword beams, and does not change your tunic color.
    In any case, Link would have the same number of power-ups as he does now, and they do the same things -- I'm just saying that you should get a more powerful sword and Sword Beams from the Magic Sword instead of the Red Ring, and possibly change the tunic colors around.
    But I suggested all that in this thread: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/change-red-ring-to-magic-sword.14387/
    This thread here is only about making Link have to get the Blue Ring before he can get the Red Ring.

sbq92 and uglyrodent like this.
  4. sbq92

You're right, I got sidetracked with trying to reincorporate items and find various ways of making every item useful. I do think it would be a good idea to have the Blue Ring come before the Red Ring. :)

5. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

I'd like to have his Magic Rod even if it does duplicate sword beams. It was in the original... And hell, it was a lot of fun.

6. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Having the Mushroom giving you the White Sword and the Blue Tunic is the best choice imo.

7. TheomanZero

Yeah, it was basically the best item . . . but it's probably too powerful for this game.

8. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Does it really still say that? ^^'

9. TheomanZero

Gee, I wonder who could have changed it? OoO

10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

lol I just didn't realize that it was still like that. I thought I changed it.

11. sbq92

I think it would differ a bit, though, considering the powered up version of it shoots fire, which remains in place for a moment (like the candle) and hurts enemies. It would indeed be powerful, but I think that's okay. It still wouldn't make Link unstoppable.

12. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

I always thought that made the rod suck something fierce and I never picked it up. I like it much better when it doesn't leave fire.

13. TheomanZero

You know, this goes against what I've said before, but lately I'm actually starting to miss having the Red Ring separate from the Magic Sword. I liked having the Magic Sword as a collectible item, but it's also nice having the Rings correspond to the Tunic colors. I am against Link having too many items, but getting rid of the Quiver and Bomb Bag was already a big help there (I still want those combined into the Bow and Bombs, by the way), and he still has fewer items than Mega Man and Bass . . . honestly, I'd like them to be separate again.
    Of course, this could still be relevant to the topic: Sword Beams are a major upgrade, so I still think it makes sense to require another power-up before you can get them. Plus, here's another benefit I just thought of now to requiring the Blue Ring first -- you always know which Ring you're picking up as Dark Link!

Mitewing and Nemephosis like this.