Request Ryu: Ceiling hanging from NG3

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Apr 2, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Ryu is currently an amalgam of his 3 NES games. What's missing besides his other powerups is his ceiling hanging ability. I think up + jump to hang would be more intuitive for the ninja since one wouldn't want to hold down whenever they jump, like Sophia.

Crownjo, aliceandsven and TheomanZero like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I thoroughly support this.

Mitewing likes this.
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

along with cutting down projectiles this would be a great way to ensure balance for this character while unpowered.

Mitewing likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

I brought this up a long time ago, but it was shot down then. I figured I might as well mention it again and see if anything's changed:
    In NG3, there were certain thin platforms that when Ryu stood on them, he could press Down + Jump to swing down and hang underneath, and when he was hanging underneath them, he could press Up + Jump to climb on top.
    There aren't any platforms exactly like this in SMBC, but the "girder" platforms and bridges are the right thickness. Could Ryu perhaps swing under/climb up through those?
    (The reason it was shot down before is that there are no "directionally solid" platforms in SMBC, and allowing Ryu to pass through these platforms would require redoing the collision code. However, I'm not sure that's actually true.)

Mitewing likes this.
  5. Mitewing

What if he could swing up and down blocks that are only one block thick?

Edit: I like your idea about the girders, too. If Jay is porting the game, it may not be hard to add. Hopefully he will post to this thread soon and give us an answer.

6. Nitron_ZX

Nitron_ZX Level 5: Spiny

this and the through-girders thing would definitely up the "ryu's a ninja" feel of his gameplay in SMBC.
    add to that cutting through fireballs with his melee and bam, Ryu's a beast.
    does he just hang, or could he also move along the roof?

TheomanZero likes this.
  7. TheomanZero

He can move and use sub-weapons.

8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I definitely support this.

What is the default for jumping onto a ceiling for Ryu in the games that have it? Do you have to hold Up or does he just grab it?

9. Mitewing

Only certain platforms are grabable in NG3. I think he just jumps up. Changes would need to be made for SMBC.

10. sbq92

I guess I would like to see it set up so that you can latch onto any ceiling/block/platform, but you have to hold Up in order to do so.

TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  11. Mitewing

This is what I said. However I think they should only be one block thick. Anything else that's stacked I don't think would work.

12. sbq92

You mean like the groups of bricks in underground levels? You don't think he should be able to latch onto those? o.o

13. TheomanZero

I think he should be able to latch onto any ceiling, but only swing through girders and bridges. Even one full tile is too thick for the animation to work, I think -- it would look like he's phasing through the block rather than swinging around it.

Mitewing and sbq92 like this.
  14. sbq92

I agree, though I don't think bridges would be an issue. I don't think there are any currently in the game that can be accessed from underneath. However, I suppose future level creating plans need to be considered.

TheomanZero likes this.
  15. TheomanZero

By the way, here's another advantage to ceiling clinging I just thought of: it would make the Fireball Ninpo (the one that shoots downward) more useful against Bowser.
    Oh, and in case I haven't made it clear, I too support having to press Up to grab ceilings. Just the initial grab, though -- you shouldn't have to hold Up to stay on the ceiling.

sbq92 likes this.
  16. sbq92

Oh yeah, having to hold up would just be annoying, and it would differ from grabbing onto walls, where you don't have to hold the direction of the wall to stay on it.

TheomanZero likes this.
  17. TheomanZero

Exactly. And you should just jump to get off.

sbq92 likes this.
  18. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I agree wholeheartedly with this request and the ideas to implement. It would also have the obvious side benefit for Shadow of the Ninja skins. :)

TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.