Official Ryu Hayabusa: Mushroom Gaiden

Ryu Hayabusa, from Ninja Gaiden, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I like it. But I don't really understand:
    How does Ken look?
    Isn't he that Devil Boss?[/spoiler]
    Also, the Doppleganger is another good entry for NG3. Maybe he's simple, but he's ripped straight from there.

2. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I'm basing Ken on the duel sequence in the introduction. He would look just like Ryu but with a red outfit. It is speculated his father is the 2nd player (red ninja) in the Ninja Gaiden Arcade game.

3. 20% cooler dash

20% cooler dash Level 1: Goomba

same here

4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think the character code doesn't interact with the map and theme skins, and even if they somehow can make a lot of fitting palette swaps somehow, for the little it brings, it isn't really worth it. Flashing the player's eyes isn't really the best way to do things.

Thanks for spoiling my face. You knew about the spoiler tags, and even if you were lazy, saying "Oh yeah it's a spoiler" when you already spoiled isn't really useful. Keep it in mind.

5. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Well I felt so bad about it that I went back and tried to put it in spoiler tags, but it's not an option in the reply toolbar, so I'm stuck. How do you do it.

Also, the spoiler was kinda lazily meant. But you're right. It's not nice to have things spoiled, no matter how old they are. For instance, I hate how the reveal by Darth Vader in The Empire Strikes Back is so engrained in pop culture that everyone knows Obi-Wan killed Luke's father.

Wait, SHIT

Alkerion and Faruga like this.
  6. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Code:
    [spoiler=About Ryu's father]Ryu, I am your father[/spoiler]
    A spoiler on an NES game isn't a big deal, so no worries.

I apologize for that unnecessary "Thanks for spoiling my face"

Scorpion42 likes this.
  7. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I recently discovered that Ninja Gaiden for the Master System has ladders, and consequently ladder-climbing sprites:
    Ryu Master System Climbing Sprites.PNG
    which look like a better fit for his vine-climbing (and possibly also pole-sliding) animation than the wall-climbing sprites he currently uses. It would also probably be simple to recolor/reshade these sprites to match his NES and SNES skins. However, this would require adding sprites to Ryu's template. Can this be done, and does anyone else agree with me on this?

ThomasMink, Scorpion42, Rey D and 4 others like this.
  8. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

I wonder why the "Stage Clear" BGM cannot be used for GB version.

9. Mitewing

I was wondering why it was decided to make Windmill Shuriken armor piercing while still keeping the Fireball Ninpo armor piercing? Ryu is the only character with two armor piercing attacks.

10. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Ryu needs the help more.

sbq92 likes this.
  11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

This. Before 2.0, Ryu was very powerful. He had great mobility, unlimited ranged attacks, and the ability to stomp armored enemies. In 2.0, the ammo system and inability to stomp enemies nerfed him hard. Suddenly having no reliable way of dealing with armored enemies or enemies from a distance gave him a huge disadvantage. For 2.1, I tried buffing him a little bit, but it wasn't enough. So, for 3.0, I buffed his sword attack strength and some of his sub-weapons, I gave him slightly more jump height, and I gave him another armor-piercing attack, one that's a lot easier to use. IMO, he is now a lot more playable.

12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I keep forgetting people have armor-piercing attacks... I'll have to try those out next time I play Ryu

Faruga likes this.
  13. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

They were all very good changes. Before 3.0, I considered Ryu god-awful, even when he was supposedly 'very strong'. When he was first introduced into the game, I was better using him as a strange variant of Mario.. just jumping on everything. He was one of two characters I later considered suicide worthy when the randomizer drew their card for me (the other was Luigi, after he received his unique physics).
    Now, I actually get some enjoyment out of playing as Ryu (Luigi.. I at least try now, but I still hate those goddamn SMB2J physics).

sbq92 likes this.
  14. sbq92

I improved Luigi for 3.0 as well. He's still a bit tough to play as, but he is a lot less slippery now, and he actually jumps the proper height (his minimum jump height was at least half a tile too high, which can surprisingly be a huge problem sometimes).

15. Mitewing

I've made a feature request relating to different skins for Ryu based on different gameplay and music from each game. I completely forgot I began discussion about it here!

16. Mitewing

How practical is it to make a Ryu based on his NG1 gameplay? Meaning he can't climb walls only cling to them. I know his jump height would have to be greatly increased to compensate. I was wondering if that's up for consideration.

17. sbq92

I don't think it would be very practical. Levels in NG1 were designed with this in mind, but implementing wall clinging instead of climbing would in SMBC would likely just be more annoying than anything.

TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  18. Mitewing

That makes sense. I just thought adjusting the jump height would make it less annoying.

19. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I said something in the Mega Man thread that I feel also applies to Ryu:

Just replace "Bomb Man" and "Elec Man" with "Stage 1-1" and "Stage 4-2".

20. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

While watching TAS videos these days...
    I have noticed that PC-Engine version of NG1 has a different music set.