Official Ryu Hayabusa: Mushroom Gaiden

Ryu Hayabusa, from Ninja Gaiden, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Bowser is definitely very difficult for the melee characters (Simon, Ryu, Link). Link has some maneuverability, but Simon and Ryu are pretty much screwed if they don't have a long range sub-weapon and enough ammo to kill Bowser (protip: Daggers are amazing against Bowser :p). It would be nice if something could be done about this, but honestly, I can't think of anything that wouldn't be cheap and unfaithful to the original games (such as giving Ryu unlimited small shurikens as a base weapon). I think the best you have to do sometimes is get hit and hope the invincibility frames give you enough time to reach the axe. Even Mario needed this strategy in the original sometimes. And if you get game over, you have a whole other shot at the world to gather power-ups again. :)

2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Does every castle really have a power up? Because I don't see power up boxes in certain ones, either that's not the case or they are invisible and hidden well.

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

There's I think two that don't, including the last one.

4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I already listed the ones that don't. 4-4, 7-4, and 8-4, if you missed it. And I still think the best thing for Ryu would be either crawling or ceiling clinging (or both).

5. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

This is exactly why I feel the power up system should be changed so you don't lose everything when one loses a mushroom. At least, one should be able to keep their subweapons.

6. sbq92

There's no way Jay would give Ryu crawling or ceiling clinging. Ryu was never able to do that in his own games. I agree they'd be useful, but they're not within Ryu's skillset.

Every character needs to have a way of getting around every possible situation at their lowest level of power. Simon has some difficulty with Bowser, but his double jump makes it at least possible to get past him. Ryu, however, seems to be pretty well screwed when it comes to fighting Bowser (especially in 4-4, where there's a fire bar and a fire ball in the way and there's no platform above Bowser for help in getting over him). Even a skilled player on Very Easy difficulty will find Bowser very tough to fight with the small sword (or the basic whip for Simon). Perhaps a platform should be added above the 4-4 Bowser for Ryu. All of the other Bowsers I think are manageable with Ryu (except perhaps 8-4...not sure what to do about him...), since there are platforms or he doesn't breathe fire. The hammers can be dealt with okay, since once you're up close they arc over you.

7. Sir Ilpalazzo

Sir Ilpalazzo Level 1: Goomba

Yeah, I have to admit that I don't like the new item system that much. Losing everything because one of Bowser's fireballs materialized on the edge of the screen is way too punishing (especially considering how long it takes to get everything back), and I think that some of the Bowser fights are literally unwinnable with an un-upgraded Samus (and probably some other characters as well). The concept behind the upgrade system is really interesting and I think that it has the potential to be a lot more fun than the previous versions of SMBC, but as it is now, I think it kind of sucks the fun out of the game.

8. TheomanZero

Ryu could crawl in the Master System Ninja Gaiden and ceiling cling in NGIII.
    My opinion on losing items is that you should lose "upgrade" items when you take damage, but keep "sub-weapon" items, only losing them when you die. In Ryu's case, he should lose the Scroll and Sword Extension, but keep his current jutsu.

Mitewing likes this.
  9. sbq92

Oh man, my mistake. :\ I guess I either didn't know or had completely forgotten he could cling to the ceiling in NGIII. I did just check out the "crawling" graphics, and it looks more like a crouching walk. It could be very interesting in SMBC. I don't know if it would help against Bowser, but it could help in many other situations. :)

10. TheomanZero

Yeah, I admit that the ceiling clinging would probably be more useful against Bowser than the crawling. But I still want Ryu to have both. I think it's good for a ninja to have lots of movement abilities.

sbq92 likes this.
  11. Mitewing

So what would determine which surfaces he could ceiling cling to? I think in NG 3 it was limited. I wouldn't want to hit a ? Block and hang there when I didn't want to.

12. TheomanZero

Maybe you have to hold Up to cling? Or at least to start clinging. Ryu will probably go on ceilings less often than Sophia, so for him it should be the exception rather than the rule.

13. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I am gonna toss my equal sentiments that an unpowered Ryu (as well as Simon, Link, and Samus, for sure), are virtually in no-win scenarios against Bowser once you reach 6-4, and he has hammers.

6-4 and 7-4 you MIGHT get by, cause the platform over Bowser is still there, but it's just a jump/hammer volley away from death too.

8-4 is just... impossible. It's basically a situation, with any of them, that if you die/get hit at any point in 8-4 (or come into 8-4 with no power-ups), you may as well start over, or cheat, or load a save for when you had powerups, cause their range is to the point to even HIT Bowser, you have to be within the hammer arc, putting you in point-blank fireball range. Not good at all.

I realize that it is making the characters function like their own game, but being outright roadblocked by their own mechanics isn't fun or enjoyable at all.

14. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

I would just give him back his unlimited small shurikens when he has no (non mushroom) powerups. If he does have something else, the shurikens get overridden.

15. TheomanZero

I've suggested adding his crawl from the Master System Ninja Gaiden and his ceiling cling from Ninja Gaiden III to help with this problem.

16. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I don't see that helping, TheomanZero.

If he can crawl, he would need to practically move twice as fast, to skirt UNDER Bowser (like Mario and Luigi can do).

If it is the ceiling cling, you'd have to time things VERY carefully to dodge a volley of hammers.

To be truthful, neither feels remotely ideal, when you compare it to Bill, Sophia, Mega Man, and Bass, who unpowered, can keep on the edge of the Bowser bridge, and dodge fireballs while blasting away to win.
    Mario and Luigi, while small, just get a running start, pray for a little timing on the hammers, and run right under him.
    Ryu, Link, Samus, and Simon, look at Bowser, look at their gear/skills, and just kinda cry.

NeedsMoreStuff and Mitewing like this.
  17. Mitewing

NG 2 had limited shuriken as default weapon and in NG 3 changed it to limited windmill shuriken. That would only just delay the inevitable. Lol.

TheomanZero likes this.
  18. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

Simon is okay. IIRC his whip stuns Bowser when it hits like any other enemy, meaning with enough timing, you can keep him in whip stun and wail away on him if you land one good shot.

I may very well be wrong, I don't play much Simon.

19. TheomanZero

I'd like to say that while I still want crawling and ceiling clinging, I am also officially in favor of Ryu starting with the Shuriken. (I'm pretty sure the only reason he started with the Windmill Shuriken instead in NG3 is that they didn't have the regular Shuriken in that game.)

20. Mitewing

Yes. They totally got rid of normal shuriken in NG 3.