Official Ryu Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by CuvisTheConqueror, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

While reviewing sprites from various NG games, I noticed NG3 Ryu has some differences from the other games. Mainly his scarf appears in more frames. Maybe this can be used for a skin to allow NG3 music in the game. There is a doppelganger villain in the game, or NG3 version could actually be Ryu and his father be the NG1 version.

TheomanZero and Mariofan5000 like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I'd like to have an NG3 skin for music purposes, but if NG3 Ryu's scarf appears in more frames, then that should be applied to his normal skin rather than made a separate one.

luigiman64 likes this.
  3. Mitewing

Then his default skin would have NG3 music and not NG1. A way to solve this is to make the NG3 skin the Ryu Doppelganger in the game. He changes form when he fights Ryu including changing to a darker shade of purple. Along with the extra scarf frames and darker pallet, he could have Haggle Man's quicker sword attack and if possible remove the Shuriken as a starting weapon, as NG3 didn't have the regular Shuriken, but he could still pick up the power up.

4. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

The moment you say "change the starting weapon" I can already tell it couldn't work.

5. Mitewing

I didn't say change it, I said remove it. He wouldn't have access to it at the beginning. If he gets a new powerup he uses that powerup. If the next powerup is Shuriken he can pick it up and use it only then. If it can't work then eveything else can.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  6. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I don't think that's necessary. I think we could just use the improved sprites and keep his gameplay and music the way they are now. He's already using an item from NG3 (the Sword Extension) anyway.

7. Mitewing

8. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

I think someone suggested him/her before. Could be wrong though, but I may take a stab at it when possible.
    Especially since the other Ryu skin I had in works, Player 1 from Nightmare on Elm. St., is currently being worked on. And seeing as how JoMamma is a slow worker, because he actually has a job, I'm better off finding someone else (or at least attempting to) to help me rip sprites from that game.
    Regardless, yea that might do as a skin, custom sprites might need to be made.
    Are the weapons (if there are any) in the game anywhere similar to Ninja Gaiden's?

Mitewing likes this.
  9. Mitewing

Yes. The weapons I know of are similar. One is obtained after beating a level I believe.

10. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You want to rip sprite from game?
    There's this program called YY-CHR where you can see every sprite in a NES game, all it lacks is the palette. There is a real possibility that sprites will be like jigsaw pieces though. Sometimes changing the lower-left expandabox helps, but if it doesn't, deal with it.
    Here are some screenshots (palettes added):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Dimpsy, Mitewing and Mariofan5000 like this.
  11. Mitewing

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    Dimpsy and Faruga like this.
  12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

MissingNo2, Mitewing and Dimpsy like this.
  13. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I often use this when sprite sheets don't meet my requirements. It's really quite a useful program.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  14. Mitewing

Quick question: Would this character have the same problems as other Ryu skins? He wouldn't have a separate sword sprite. IIRC it's a problem with alignment of the sword sprite.

15. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

This is mostly useful for 8X8 or 8X16 sprites, but for the rest, and other console's sprites, it gets really annoying. I rip sprites using VirtuaNes, which allows you to pause on every frame and take screenshots out of them. Then I take a screenshot on FCEUX and change their pallette according to it... it sounds harder than it actually is, but it works. :p

16. sbq92

Part of the problem with leaving the sword sprite blank is the range. Even if you can somehow squeeze the attack into the frame, the actual hit range of the sword remains, and it's longer than the sprite would indicate.

Mitewing likes this.
  17. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It doesn't. That's why Blaine had to actually rip many Castlevania sprites.

18. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

Well... it works for me. I used this method to rip the GB Probotectors, the Contra Force team, GB Kunio and Riki, Arcade Bill, Sophia IV, Master Higgins, and many others.

19. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

How can you be certain that you didn't make any error ? The CV sprites looked fine until Blaine looked into raw data and noticed errors.

I assure you that ripping from raw data is far more reliable than screenshotting. I'm not saying you are forbidden from screenripping ; I'm saying that for quality results, actual ripping bests screenshots.

Faruga likes this.
  20. sbq92

I use screenshot ripping a lot. Ripping the data itself is very useful, but in most cases ripping from screenshots works just fine. On the NES sometimes, though, character and object outlines are black, and some games (like Castlevania) use a lot of black in the backgrounds. That's why screenshots of the CV objects are often inaccurate; the outline blends with the background and people are left guessing what the outline actually is.