Considering Ryu Suggestions

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 10, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Currently Ryu doesn't get a bonus from the Super Mushroom like other characters. I suggest he gets the Sword Extension, since it's his only item not related to sub-weapons.
    Also, if Ryu doesn't have a sub-weapon (or runs out of ammo), and there's no platform over Bowser, it's practically impossible to get past him. Either climbing on ceilings (as in NG3) or crawling (as in the Master System NG) would be helpful here.
    EDIT: I originally requested something else too, only to realize it already worked that way. I must have taken leave of my senses.
    EDIT 2: As noted below, Ryu should also start with the Shuriken as his sub-weapon, like he does in NG2.

huang17 likes this.
  2. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Seems like good suggestions.

3. Markus

Markus Level 0: Newbie

i suggest they coukd give him the sword spin attack, the attack that make him spin with sword in midair, usable when he have a power-up

4. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

He already has that.

5. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I'd like to see the shadow clones (unless I've somehow been getting really unlucky and missing them all the time).

silentshadowxp and Mitewing like this.
  6. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

Two things about Ryu.

First, he should default to his "shuriken" subweapon, as he does in NG2. He and Belmont were hit hard by the "upgrade" system, and leaving them with no projectiles at all really hurts them until you invest a lot of effort getting them powered up (likewise, Belmont should default to his knife). In both cases, it would also be nice if these "shitty" subweapons were removed as upgrades to give the better ones a higher chance of appearing.

Secondly, his spin slash is more dangerous to himself than it is to his enemies. The trouble is that getting hit in his own game would just hurt him - it wouldn't cause him to lose everything he had. Here, that's not the case. The same can more or less be said about Samus's screw attack, to an extent. I think in both cases, a spot of temporary invincibility when using them would likely be in order (in Samus's case, this is how it already worked in her own game).

I do disagree with the idea that the mushroom should give him the sword upgrade, but that's because I think that mushrooms/fire flowers should just be removed from all characters except for Mario and Luigi. The only purpose of the mushroom is to give characters an extra hit, and I think that could just as easily be worked into everyone's individual upgrades (another topic discusses that subweapons should not be lost if a character gets hit, so that concept should tie in quite neatly into such a system).

7. BlueJackle

BlueJackle Level 2: Koopa

I would love it if Ryu's jumping controlled more like it does in his games. It's always bugged me :(

8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I don't know about Simon, but I agree that Ryu should start with the Shuriken like in NG2. However, I don't think it should be removed as a power-up, as it can still be kind of nice.
    Also, if he starts with a sub-weapon, it might be appropriate for the Scroll to be his "Mushroom bonus" instead of the Sword Extension. Or even just some extra ammo.

9. Kingicarus

Kingicarus Level 1: Goomba

i vote for the player being able to carry all the sub weapons at once, much like link, so that said player can switch between them at any give time to fit the situation at hand. I realise that simon and ryu would play less like they once did (i didnt include bill/lance because in contra 3 they could carry 2 weapons at a time), but it would just make the game more enjoyable to be able to carry an arsenal of weapons around as opposed to keeping one sub weapon on the character at a time and hoping it helps in the next couple of levels. Just my two cents though.