Official Samus Aran: Authorized for Discussion

Samus Aran, from Metroid, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This thread is specifically for the in depth discussion of Samus Aran in Super Mario Bros. Crossover. Feel free to post hints, tips, tricks, ideas, suggestions, impressions, etc.

Wiki Page: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/Samus_Aran

Thanks to ReNeX for this thread's title :)

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

W...What?! No one talks about Samus! Okay, let's talk about her power-suit-less appearance. In the 1.0 SMBC, it was here Fire Flower appearance and she had got green hair if I rememeber well. Now in SMBC 1.2.03, she's got other colors and brown hair. Is this her very first power-suitless appearance or does it used to be her weakest appearance? I've never played Metroid, but it seems she's got many power-suit-less appearances (heard enough the "appearance" word?).

3. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

She is just the most OP char here. But I don't like she much because she's slow.

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

In the original game, Samus was in her power suit, and then upon completing the game in under a certain period of time, you got to see Samus without her suit, and it was a big deal because she was a woman (everyone thought it was a guy in a suit or a robot). Then, you could play through the game again as Samus without her suit, but the game still played the same. Upon completing the game in under a certain time this time around, however, you saw Samus wearing a bikini instead of the leotard. You could also put in a password known as the "Justin Bailey" password that would start you off as Samus without her suit.

In SMBC, there are three different forms (normal, super mushroom, and fire flower), and so Jay decided to utilize the various Samus suits. In 1.0, Jay made her start with the suit, then get the Varia suit (one of the power-ups from the original game), and then the "Justin Bailey" suit, I'm guessing because that's the order in which everyone tended to get exposed to Samus. He changed it later, however, because I'm assuming it simply made more sense to start without a suit, and then get a suit, and then get a better suit. The final change was Samus' hair color. Using the "Justin Bailey" password, Samus had green hair. However, this was because the color palette for Samus with the Varia but without her suit (strange, I know) gave her green hair. Without the Varia suit, however, Samus had brown hair, so Jay decided to use that instead of the green hair.

I hope this answers your question. :p

With regards to the character herself, she is one of my favorite characters to play the game as. It's true she runs rather slowly, but then again, she's not uselessly slow. I did a speedrun with her and came in at around 28 minutes, only about a minute slower than with Ryu. She is nice and powerful, but I wouldn't say she's OP. It's true that her shots stun enemies as they hit them, and she gets those powerful missiles, and her bombs are nice and strong, and she has great maneuverability, but...hmm...maybe she is OP. She's not obviously OP, though. I'll just say that. :p

5. Rey D

Patron

It DOES answer me. Thanks.
    And, yeah, I may haven't played a lot with Samus at the beginning, but I'm strating discovering how it's comfortable to play as Samus. Unfortunately, I HATE hearing her Wave Beam's sound.

Edit: Enshortened the quote.

6. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I'd like to see Samus switch to her missile form when she uses missiles and switch back at the next beam shot.

[​IMG]

7. Rey D

Patron

But her "missile form" is her Fire Flower form and her normal Varia Suit is her Muhsroom form.

8. sbq92

Actually, her Fire Flower form is the Varia Suit and her Super Mushroom form is the normal Power Suit. I'm surprised by the above picture, though. I didn't realize her entire suit changed color when she switched to missiles. I thought it was just the visor and arm cannon.

9. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

In her default suit, it is only the visor and cannon. The entire suit will change however when she has the Varia.

10. ChozoBoy

And she would go blonde in her suitless form. :)

11. Rey D

Patron

Okay, next time I'll learn the stuffs before saying words. So, she's got her Varia suit (pink) with Fire Flower and normal Power suit (orange) with Mushroom. I don't know how we can change it.

EDIT: Wait, yeah, her arm and visor seems to change color when switching to missiles and the pink suit is just the Varia Suit. But I think switching her shooting mode to fire missiles would be annoying cause I like firing beams AND missiles just by using two different buttons.

12. ChozoBoy

No, man. You got me wrong. I wasn't suggesting a control change, I was suggesting that the color palette automatically switch when using missiles and revert after using a beam.

It just feels weird using the missiles and not seeing the colors switch. The blue visor makes you feel so much more bad-ass. I love the way Jay set the controls, though! I'd never ask that he change them.

13. Rey D

Patron

Oh you mean, you push 'Beam', you shoot beam; you push 'missile', you shoot missile and visor turn blue; you push 'Beam', you shoot beam and visor turn dark again, right?

14. sbq92

I'm kinda torn on the color-changing idea. On the one hand, I think it would be great. On the other hand, it is kind of strange. It makes sense, and is probably the best way to implement the color change without having a separate button to toggle missiles on and off. However, the color change would be more for nostalgic sense than anything, and while that is pretty much the point of SMBC, it could throw off new players (although probably not for very long).

I am generally for the idea, but a little torn...

15. Rey D

Patron

I actually think it's almost useless cause since you have infinite beam and not infinite missiles unless using cheats, it doesn't make really sense as you will use your beam most of the time and will not waste your missile JUST to change color for a few secondes.

16. ChozoBoy

This! And that's all there is to it.

17. bnjay29

I'm all for nostalgia. It's little details like this that make this game so awesome. Just takes you back....

18. sbq92

True. I definitely am all about the details. Perhaps my main concern is simply that it can't be implemented exactly the way it was in the original game. That's okay, though. Not everything can work perfectly like they do in the original games. After all, SMBC is not Mega Man, Metroid, Blaster Master, etc. It's Super Mario Bros. Crossover, and it plays like it should. :)

19. bnjay29

Ain't that the truth!

20. Rey D

Patron

Did you notice? With a perfect timing, you can pass small gaps by morphing into ball at the right moment.