Official Samus Aran: Authorized for Discussion

Samus Aran, from Metroid, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

The Plasma Beam's defining attribute is its ability to pierce through multiple enemies (and sometimes damage the same enemy more than once). I don't know why Chon Shu didn't mention that.
    Still, I support sticking to the NES Metroid power-ups. Samus is already one of the best characters in the game, and she has so many upgrades in her series that it'd be easy to lose control without limits.

Alkerion, MissingNo2 and uglyrodent like this.
  2. ChonShu

ChonShu Level 2: Koopa

Yes. The plasma beam can't be combined with wave or ice beam.
    True, can has two mode:
    - Mode A: 250 damage (light neon-green upgrade color)
    - Mode B: The first two pierce has 160 and all remaining has 80 damage (dark peacock upgrade color)

3. TheomanZero

I know that in later Metroid games (Super Metroid at the earliest), pressing Jump during a straight jump will turn it into a spin jump (and therefore activate the Screw Attack and such). Does anyone know if you can do this in either of the first two Metroid games? It could have implications relating to Pit.

EDIT: Also, while working on the ronny14 Samus skins, I noticed that NES Samus' crouching sprites look a little odd -- specifically, the back leg. It's really short, and the knee seems to connect directly to the foot. I looked at the Game Boy and SNES skins (which have official rather than custom crouching sprites) for comparison, but I noticed that in the straight jump sprites, the position of the legs is reversed compared to NES:
    Samus NES Game Boy Comparison.png
    and since the crouch resembles the jump, the legs had to be reversed in the custom crouching sprite too, which made it harder.
    Anyway, I decided to see if I could make a crouching sprite with a less stumpy leg, and here's what I came up with:
    Samus Crouch Comparison.png
    Original on the left, mine on the right. I tried to imitate the Game Boy sprite, which meant that most of the back leg is hidden behind the front leg.
    Well? Did I do a good job? (And I still want the answer to that Spin Jump question, too.)

EDIT 2: I also did Justin Bailey while I was at it. This one was much easier because the original sprite was much better, which I assume was because Justin Bailey uses the same leg positions as Game Boy Samus. (Dizzying, isn't it?)
    Justin Bailey Crouch Comparison.png
    In this case all I did was extend the leg by one pixel and fill in the gaps.

Omicron likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

I don't think anyone saw my crouching sprites in the above post because I edited my last post rather than double-posting. That's what I get for trying to be polite, I suppose. It's been two weeks, so I'm going to double-post now. Please look at the post directly above this one.

5. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

There's a trick to alert everybody watching the thread of an edit without double-posting:

1 - Make the edit.
    2 - Post something (Anything. even "dfhisuovn" goes. :p)
    3 - Delete the post you just created.

This way you can bump the thread for an edit. :)

MissingNo2 and TheomanZero like this.
  6. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

No, you need to double-post and then delete the previous post.

When a post that generated an alert is deleted, the alert is revoked. And that's discouraged anyway.

However, if you really need to bump a thread, go ahead and bump it already. The red line is 48 hours.

Faruga likes this.
  7. TiagoDu

TiagoDu Level 6: Lakitu

Oh, OK, i got it a bit wrong. Thanks for the info. ;)

Omicron likes this.
  8. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

So, I see that Samus starts with her bombs now... which is cool, I suppose. I'm kind of curious as to why, because it seems like the sort of change that was made because it was deemed that there's a situation where she'd be screwed without 'em.

9. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, while the one done by Zach at the time isn't perfect, it still plays with perspective to fit everything in. The foot is basically going the direction opposite to the 4th wall, hence why the leg looks shorter.
    In your version, you made it direct her back, making the leg actually short, and her knee is now pointy.

10. TheomanZero

Are you saying her leg is supposed to be twisted sideways? That sounds incredibly unpleasant.

I think it's because Pit doesn't have bombs. The skin system isn't set up to add or remove power-ups, but it can change inherent abilities.

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I suppose there are a couple of reasons for the change. First, with Classic Samus on, she can crouch so she can kill enemies along the ground. As a result, the Bombs are a lot less useful and not worth a whole power-up that can be lost. Second, with Classic Samus off, she can't crouch so she has no way of dealing with most enemies unless she has the Bombs or Wave Beam, both of which could be lost (if Bombs were a power-up).

12. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

Ah, ok, that makes sense.

I was thinking more along the lines that Samus has relatively few power-ups compared to the other characters, so taking one of them out just makes that even more noticeable. I'm not going to complain, but I will say that I still consider her the best character, hands-down, so this little convenience makes her just a little bit easier to play if she just ate it and is starting over naked.

Are her bombs armor-piercing, by the way?

13. TheomanZero

I think you mean that the other way around, actually.
    (By the way, did you see my crouching sprites? What did you think of them?)

14. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

The bombs are not armor piercing, only the missiles are.

15. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Oops, yeah, I meant the other way around. :p

16. TheomanZero

After thinking over what Rey D said, I've changed the Justin Bailey crouching sprite:
    The original one is on the left, and my new one is on the right. I think this one is much better than my old one.

17. TheomanZero

(Sorry for double-posting, but it's been a week and this is unrelated to my last post:)
    Does anyone know how Samus' jump height in SMBC was determined? Is it accurate to the original Metroid? If so, is it with or without the Hi-Jump Boots?
    EDIT: Actually, while I was at it, I worked on the Justin Bailey crouch sprite a little more:
    I think I succeeded in making the foot look a little more flexible.

Rey D likes this.
  18. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

I just tested. Samus' height is 2 blocks, and:
    In Metroid, she jumps for 5.5 blocks without boots, and 7 with.
    In SMBC she jumps for 5.5 blocks.

Also, control in original Metroid is pain in a**. How? The AVGN will just roar.

19. TheomanZero

Thanks. I was wondering if the Hi-Jump Boots had any place in SMBC. Since Samus already jumps higher than most characters without them, I'd say they don't.

20. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I haven't researched that much yet, but maybe the High Jump Boots have a place with my idea for Fusion Suit Samus I posted in the Features Request forum.