Official Samus Aran: Authorized for Discussion

Samus Aran, from Metroid, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Of course.

uglyrodent and sbq92 like this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I guess it could be a cheat, but in that case I see no reason for it to be specific to Samus.

3. Overlord

Wait what? If you want to get literal, playing as anyone BUT Mario in a Mario game would be "altering the way in witch the game was intended to be played". Seeing as how guns and other projectiles were not really meant in the game besides Mario's fireball. And I can bypass levels easy with the warp. o.O So I don't see how that's a horrible thing to do.

EDIT: I also got to world 8 faster then before because of it. Didn't really realize it was there and forgot where I found it. XD lol Oh well...

4. TheomanZero

He's not saying it's horrible, just that it should be a cheat.

5. Overlord

Oh okay. lol

6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I actually intended to distinguish between "altering" and "drastically altering," but I made changes to what I was saying and missed that distinction. :\

I'm getting tired, so I'm not going to discuss this anymore. :p I'm not sure I can make any new points now anyway. I'll just say that I know Jay isn't going to add such an item anyway, so I'm not particularly worried about such a game-breaking item making it in. I do think a "Space Jump" cheat would be interesting, though, and I would certainly support that. :)

TheomanZero likes this.
  7. TheomanZero

Yeah, I sort of figured the argument was moot . . . and I'm getting tired of this too.

8. Overlord

No, I assumed you were going to say that. Of course different people have different views on the meaning of "drastically altering" something.

I am up for either or. After all, I prefer a Samus feel while playing a her other then a Mario feel. I wouldn't expect Mario to hold back against Ridley or Mother Brain. lol

uglyrodent likes this.
  9. sbq92

I'm more awake now, so I'll elaborate on what I meant by "altering" vs. "drastically altering" (but then I'm done with the discussion :p). I basically meant to say that adding characters causes necessary alterations. However, good game design requires that the game still be playable in a more or less normal manner. Adding an item that lets you completely ignore stages by flying over them is a drastic alteration, and it is poor game design, and it is more in line with a cheat. And that brings us back to the idea of it being a cheat, which again I'm all for. :)

uglyrodent and TheomanZero like this.
  10. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

So there's this thing in 1-2 and in 4-2 that lets you skip 95% of the game without even playing through it.

Yeah Space Jump is totally broken and ruins the spirit of SMB.

11. sbq92

There's a difference between in-game warps and an ability that enables you to bypass even the levels you can't warp past.

TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  12. Overlord

I knew what you meant already. And I want the game to be fun, personally, and not frustrating to the point where I want to toss the computer to the wall. :p I don't care what it becomes if anything, I just want Samus to feel like... Samus.

13. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Specifically, you want her to feel like Metroid 2 Samus, when she is meant to feel like Metroid 1 Samus.

Not that you're wrong, I'm just saying...

TheomanZero likes this.
  14. TheomanZero

She does feel like Samus . . . to me, at least. And she's my favorite character. I don't think she needs any new abilities or items, just a few tweaks to her existing ones.

15. Overlord

Samus, to me, is all of the games. Except Other M. So not *just* the first or second or third.... It is good so far but could be better. Same with Mario but this is a Samus topic.

16. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I'd like to remind everyone that the strict sense of representing "this" or "that" doesn't appear very important now that we have a broader scope of things included, even NDS spin off characters and Bass / Protoman who were never playable until the SNES / Wii.

And upholding this nebulous principal of keeping the game balanced is a little silly if you consider just how easy the game itself is with all of these characters now, instead of just mario.

Overlord likes this.
  17. Overlord

That makes sense. I don't know anything about Mega Man so I couldn't say about that. :eek:

Btw, it's been bugging me, what is your picture?????????? o.o

18. TheomanZero

Mega Man 10, Robot Ninja Haggleman, and Demon Returns were specifically designed to emulate the look, feel, and limitations of the NES. They essentially are NES games.
    Every character has their own unique advantages and disadvantages. I want to preserve that.

19. Overlord

Essentially and actuality are two different things. I think that's what aliceandsven was saying. Besides, why stick with such limitations? Who else believes this?

20. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I still think it would work really well as her "swim."

uglyrodent likes this.