Official Samus Aran: Authorized for Discussion

Samus Aran, from Metroid, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think it wouldn't really fit very well because this sample has a more "great" character than an "action" one.

If it's part of a whole track, it is probably not possible to use it for a music slot in SMBC. If it was, they would have probably done it.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Star music pretty much has to be fast-paced, and Metroid doesn't really have much in the way of fast music due to the emphasis on exploration and atmosphere. When the music is fast, it usually indicates a tense, dangerous situation, which doesn't work very well for star music. This makes finding star music for Samus a bit difficult.

3. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

I guess I could see that. I just thought of it because it's the track that plays when you get the Hyper Beam during the Mother Brain fight in Super Metroid, so thematically, it seems to work.

4. ZeroEdgeir

ZeroEdgeir Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Yeah, sadly, the only times I can think of any "fast-paced" music in Metroid games, usually involves a rather large explosion imminently about to happen, and you having to book it for the sake of living to fight another day.

TheomanZero likes this.
  5. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

I was planning on making a skin for Samus as Rusty, the hero from Dark Void Zero:
    dark-void-zero.jpg
    I have the PC version and found a file where I think the sprites could be stored on. The file is actually an unknown file without extension obtained from mashing a .001 and .002 files together. Any idea of how to rip its sprites?

Rey D likes this.
  6. Rey D

Patron

If you have any more specifications about what this game is (like, for example, DOS, Commodore, Windows, ...?), that could help.

7. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Made by Capcom, DSiware. Some kind of platformer.

Rey D likes this.
  8. Rey D

Patron

In that case I only see screenshot-ripping with the help of an emulator.
    Wait for replies other than mine, though. Someone could have an idea.

9. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

I actually tried screenshot-ripping but the game looks blurry and I would have to recreate the sprites, and I don't feel like doing that at all... Here's a snap of how it looks:
    Dibujo.PNG
    and btw it's a platformer created by Capcom in 2010 and released for PC, some mobile phones and DSIware. It was created as an 8-bit game. (probably the same way MM9 & 10 were created)

10. TheomanZero

The relevant part is at 0:58.
    As shown in this video, the ROM of Metroid contains separate left-facing sprites for Samus' "running" and "shooting while running" animations. Here are the sprites in question, from The Cutting Room Floor:
    [​IMG]
    Since all other Metroid games have separate left and right-facing sprites, could Samus' template be updated to include this?
    While we're on the subject of Samus' template, it might more space-efficient and less redundant to separate her upper body and legs, like Bill's template.
    (And no, I'm not under any delusions of this making it into 3.0. I'm thinking more the distant future, here.)

11. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I saw that and thought it was cool. I have considered modifying the template, but it would also involve coding and such, and could involve a fair bit of work. None of the other characters have separate left and right sprites, so I'm not even sure off hand how it would be done. I'm not necessarily saying no, however, I'm just saying if it's done it probably won't be anytime soon.

As for separating her legs and torso, I don't think we'll be doing that. Bill is a huge pain to deal with because of the separate parts (in fact, any skin with separate parts is a pain to deal with, including Mega Man with his separate arms), and Samus works perfectly fine with full sprites. Bill is separate because his torso can move all over the place, but Samus just has forward and upward, so it's not that big a deal.

ThomasMink likes this.
  12. TheomanZero

Fair enough. The only reason I brought it up was that I was worried adding left-facing sprites would make her template too big.

13. ChonShu

ChonShu Level 2: Koopa

Please give Samus with plasma beam!
    Differents from long beam:
    - 250 damage
    - Green color
    - The upgrade logo is neon-green

14. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Not from NES Metroid.

TheomanZero and Nat like this.
  15. ChonShu

ChonShu Level 2: Koopa

I know.

16. MissingNo2

Then.. why request it?

17. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Because he doesn't know that that's the restriction?

18. uglyrodent

There is no such restriction.

He requested it because he wants it.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  19. MissingNo2

I don't really see much point anyway, since it's essentially just a stronger Long Beam.

20. uglyrodent

True, but it may be interesting. SOPHIA gets two weapon strength upgrades, after all, and maybe it would be neat to have Samus able to get it; it would be higher damage than the Wave or Ice beams at the cost of the unique advantages each one has.

Alkerion likes this.