Request Samus Downward Shooting

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Feb 10, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Since we've given Samus the abilities to shoot while crouching and morph in midair from Metroid II, we might as well complete the set and also let her shoot downward in midair, another ability introduced in that game. Morphing in midair would be down by pressing Down twice, and of course, this would be disabled by turning on Classic Samus.
    EDIT: Also, the behavior of the Ice Beam was changed between Metroid and the later games:
    Metroid: Shots alternate between freezing and damaging (it takes twice as many shots to kill an enemy)
    Later games: Every shot does damage, but enemies will only die if shot when frozen, so the shot that freezes will never kill (it takes one extra shot to kill an enemy)
    Perhaps SMBC could use the new behavior, but switch to the old one when Classic Samus is on?
    EDIT 2: Since Samus starts with the Morph Ball in some Metroid games (including Metroid II), she could start with it in SMBC, and get bombs as a power-up. This would make it easier to get past the later Bowsers without any power-ups (currently a problem) by letting you roll under him when he jumps.

2. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I wouldn't be opposed to this. Personally, the morph ball is problematic for me because I usually end up turning into a defenseless ball on accident.

This is because I'm used to playing super Metroid, where a) you *can* aim down and shoot, and b) morphing into a ball in midair requires you to press down *twice* instead of once.

ThomasMink and TheomanZero like this.
  3. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I've never seen Samus shooting downward. O__O Wow.

But I'm not for this because... Classic Samus turns off turning into a ball in mid-air. Because it wasn't possible in Metroid.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I could go either way on the downward shooting, but again, what's really messing me up is that SMBC lets you morph Samus in midair by pressing down once, whereas you have to hit it twice in any game where she's capable of doing it. This has led me to accidentally morphing her countless times.

TheomanZero likes this.
  5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Hitting twice to change into ball in mid-air would make it a bit weird to me. But I haven't really played Metroid so...

6. TheomanZero

I'm pretty sure I got the Ice Beam behavior in later games wrong the first time. First post has been corrected with the actual behavior.
    And yeah, morphing in midair should take two presses, with the first aiming down.

7. smashbro596

smashbro596 Level 3: Paratroopa

while were at it why dont we have her able to shoot downward in mid-air?she could in metroid 2.....

8. Mew

Mew Level 2: Koopa

Well, I think the main point is that SMBC Samus is based off the NES template considering the Wave Beam/Ice Beam doesn't stack and that you don't get the Plasma Beam option.

Still, considering Samus is a hybrid already, I'd say that it would be interesting to make a few further edits. The Classic Samus cheat could be used to revert her to an accurate NES version whenever the player wants.

For the edits...

Firing downward would be a nice idea indeed. Probably not immensely useful but a nice touch.

The Ice Beam not unfreezing foes would be extremely practical too as it makes the Ice Beam problematic to use at the moment. In particular, the selling point of the Ice Beam is immobilizing foes and making them vulnerable to missile attacks. But since destroying foes at the moment with the Ice Beam is a pain, it ironically undermine that very element since it become a chore to replenish missile supplies (although in a way, one might argue that it give one a justification to alternate between Wave & Ice Beams).

As for the Morph Ball... I don't agree on having it built-in. Frankly, Samus works as a 'build-up' character, starting heavily handicaped compared to other characters but becoming incredibly powerful when fully-powered. Besides, fighting Bowser as Samus unpowered is actually a fair challenge. He's tricky but unlike Simon, who is in deep trouble if he can't get a sub-weapon, Samus unpowered outrange Bowser's hammers and is mobile enough to keep up with his fireballs.

9. smashbro596

in m
    in metroid 2 the beams dont stack.

10. TheomanZero

Er . . . what?
    This is exactly what I initially said. It's the title of the freaking topic.
    Anyway, what I basically want is for Samus to be Metroid II Samus with the "Classic Samus" cheat off, and Metroid 1 Samus with it on. In terms of inherent abilities, not items.
    And if Link can start with the Boomerang, Samus can certainly start with the Morph Ball. It would make it much easier for her to get past Bowser with no power-ups.

11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Idea.
    Waving Ice Beam.
    :awesome:

12. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

If only someone had mentioned that already. Say, in the thread title...

Nah, that would just be silly. How silly of me!

TheomanZero likes this.
  13. smashbro596

crap. wasnt paying attention. '
    DELETE THAT POST PLZ.

im sorry. can someone delete that?
    XD that was an epic fail on my part.

14. shadster16

shadster16 Level 0: Newbie

This is all good as I agree. It would also be nice if we got the spazer along with it am I right?

15. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Yes it would be. It could help breeze through enemies instead of having to crouch, then fire to kill them. It would be a nice upgrade before Ice and Wave.

And as for the Ice Beam, it originally did the freeze/unfreeze thing till later... That's probably why it does that now. But for me, as a die-hard Metroid fan, I'm used to it. I don't really expect someone new to be used to it though so that's the only reason why I'd say "leave it to the cheat".

Plus she should be able to shoot down. Only because I'm personally tired of forgetting that she can't stomp on enemies anymore and get killed by it(mostly by Bullets though). It would be nice to be able to point down, and shoot a missile to get rid of the Bullet before it gets rid of me.

Samus should start with either the Morph Ball or Missiles. She started with both in Metroid II and it could help with starting up. Maybe she could start with Missiles but have it set to zero until she collects more.

16. TheomanZero

I don't think the Spazer is all that important, since you can already shoot enemies without crouching with the Wave Beam.
    Hmm, I didn't really think of her starting with an empty Missile Launcher. I'm not sure if that's a good idea or not.

17. Overlord

Well the Wave Beam is a.... Wave and can sometimes actually go over the enemies. Besides, it would be for nostalgia purposes.

18. TheomanZero

Well, if it's for nostalgia purposes, then it shouldn't be in, since it wasn't in the first Metroid.

19. Overlord

Why should everything be limited to just the NES games? :p

20. TheomanZero

Because SMBC is a tribute to the NES. It says so in the credits. Besides, that's how everyone else works.
    EDIT: Well actually, what I'm arguing for here is for Samus' inherent abilities to be based on Metroid II (except her beam range), while her items are based on Metroid. So, not everything is limited to the NES (unless you turn the "Classic Samus" cheat on).
    Why are you so into the Spazer, anyway? All it does is widen your attack range. The Wave Beam does the same thing (slightly less reliably, but if you fire a few shots in a row probably only one or two will miss) AND it lets you shoot through walls.