Request Samus: Famicom music for some skins

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Sep 29, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Metroid's original Japanese release used an expansion chip for higher sound quality while the NES release adapted the soundtrack to the standard NES sound chip. This resulted in two different soundtracks, and since we have three Samus Skins that use the Metroid soundtrack (Samus, Justin Bailey, and Zero Suit Samus), I think at least one of them should use the Famicom version.

The Famicom version generally sounds cleaner, with significant differences in the intro and ending, as well as the "Samus Appears" and "Item Get" themes. However, it's interesting to note that a completely new section was added to the "Escape" song in the NES version. This is why it's important to include both versions (note that the sound effects are different in each version too).

Personally, I'm leaning toward Samus and Justin Bailey getting the NES music while Zero Suit Samus gets the Famicom music -- mainly because ZSS is the most different (being custom), and because Metroid: Zero Mission's soundtrack was more closely based on the Famicom version of the original game (it doesn't have the extra section in "Escape", for example). What do you think?

If you want to compare the soundtracks yourself, listen to them here.

(P.S.: If an NES Dark Samus skin ever makes it into the game, I support it getting the Famicom music as well.)

mariofan2020, Mitewing, Rey D and 2 others like this.
  2. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

I was thinking zero suit samus got it myself, and was going to suggest that. At least until i read your post more closely! Great minds think alike i guess, huh?

TheomanZero likes this.
  3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

NES Dark Samus + FDS Soundtrack= :awesome:

mariofan2020, TheomanZero and Faruga like this.