Request Samus: More Powerful Wave Beam

Discussion in 'Features' started by TheomanZero, Sep 12, 2013.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

According to my research, in Metroid, the Wave Beam did twice as much damage as the regular beam. However, according to the Exploding Rabbit wiki, the Wave Beam has the same power as the regular beam in SMBC. Shouldn't it be more powerful?

2. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

There were a few balancing factors in Metroid that don't exist in SMBC, namely, well, Metroids. The Wave Beam was nice because there was no way you were going to be able to finish the game with it, whereas in SMBC it's already probably the better of her two weapons.

3. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I actually wasn't aware the Wave Beam is supposed to be stronger, so I've adjusted it. I raised it from 150 to 275 (to allow it to one-shot Piranha Plants and Goombas), and to compensate I lowered the Ice Beam from 150 to 125. The lower strength of the Ice Beam should help accentuate the new strength of the Wave Beam.

I'll test it out a bit and if it feels too powerful I can lower it again. Samus is already pretty much god-tier, but a stronger Wave Beam is more accurate.

4. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I find the Wave Beam to be the second-best weapon in SMBC (the best being Bill's spread gun), so I don't really think it needs a further upgrade. I agree with BTB that overall I find it more useful than the Freeze Beam.

5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, the Ice Beam would be better if it worked on Lakitus.

6. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Hmmm...well I admit that being able to freeze Lakitu would be too advantageous. The biggest problem with the freeze beam for me is that it unfreezes unarmored enemies that are frozen. I understand this lets you injure unarmored frozen enemies and is probably source accurate (can't recall), but I personally find the toggling of freezing/unfreezing unarmored enemies a bit annoying. I find myself constantly unfreezing enemies by mistake and getting hurt touching them. I honestly think it would be better if all enemies that are in a frozen state were also considered in an armored state. This would make more sense logically (no reason re freezing an enemy should unfreeze it), it would help to avoid accidental unfreezing, and would make the freeze beam a more deliberate choice. If you want to hurt frozen enemies you could always shoot them with a missile. (side note: I think morph bombs should also be armor piercing, or perhaps a new upgrade to make them armor piercing could be made available)

In addition, I think it would be helpful if Samus could switch between wave beam and ice beam. That way you could more easily choose whether you want to freeze or destroy enemies at any given time. It would also be more source accurate.

7. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

If I remember correctly Samus could not collect both the ice and wave beam, she had to choose one or the other, and go back to get the item again if she wanted to switch, so it actually is source-accurate right now.

Creating armored enemies with the ice beam would be even more annoying I think, because then you're limiting your access to ammo by choosing the ice beam (being unable to kill them without spending missiles)

Just be careful how you use it and don't mash fire

Rey D likes this.
  8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I think the proper behavior in Metroid was actually that unkillable enemies remained frozen when you hit them. I think the reason for this is that the Ice Beam actually damages enemies, and an enemy getting damaged probably triggers the unfreezing effect, so when you freeze an enemy that can't be damaged, shooting it again instead just resets the frozen timer. In SMBC, the functionality seems to be a bit different in that shooting a frozen enemy simply unfreezes it (the damage it deals is unrelated), and thus armored enemies can be unfrozen by shooting them.

I can look into adjusting this. I think it has actually been reported before anyway, and I think we have it in our log of possible fixes/changes/adjustments to consider.

Frozsoul, TheomanZero and Rey D like this.