Official Samus Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Faruga, Jan 21, 2012.

1. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

Then if you got a problem with it, do it yourself.

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Well, let me remind you that the "Princess Toadstool" replacement will say "Thank you" and "Your quest is over".
    If you are to be saved, it doesn't make sense that you are the one thanked.

By the way that's not true.

luigiman64 and Dimpsy like this.
  3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Skins aren't made for nostalgia, they're made as a way to include characters who don't work as full characters or for alternate appearances of the characters already in the game.

That said, how are nurses more nostalgic than Palutena?

Rey D likes this.
  4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Because nurses were what healed you in the early days.

5. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

That makes them more relevant to the eggplant, but I'm asking what makes them more nostalgic.

6. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

It's just not the same if Palutena heals you.
    Does that make any sense?

7. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

Remember all those times you trekked around angel land in search of a hospital? ... Yeah, me neither.
    EDIT: :ryu:'d.

8. Rey D

Patron

I suppose you see them more in the game.
    Kind of like Peach being less nostalgic than Toads ?

I suppose a more accurate word would be "iconic", but that's twisting the initial meaning of their sentence.

9. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Since we have Dark Link and Dark Samus, why not Dark Pit?
    [​IMG]
    I've developed this in a way to match the limits of the NES while still looking fine enough. Here's the full sheet;
    pittoo.png
    Well... sorta. I'm not entirely sure who exactly he should rescue, Pit's just a placeholder.

Dimpsy, ThomasMink, Develon and 2 others like this.
  10. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Either Toad and Peach have to be the Eggplant Wizard.

11. Rey D

Patron

That Dark Pit looks fine ; It works kinda like Saymis.

As for who/what Dark Pit would rescue... Well, canonically, I suppose that rescuing Pit makes sense, but I suppose that it is kind of odd consider it's a "bad" counterpart.

I suppose you could put a bow or a "Dark Pit Staff" custom, as they would be means for Pitoo Dark Pit to have more power.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  12. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

You could use Eggplant Wizard as Toad, and Death as Peach.

Mitewing likes this.
  13. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It does look pretty cool. Is "Dark Pit" a thing, though? Dark Samus is actually in at least one game, and so that's why she's a valid skin option. If Dark Pit is a thing, I'll probably add this. Otherwise, I'll simply have to think about.

Mitewing likes this.
  14. mat5200

mat5200 Level 1: Goomba

Yes, he is canon. Look at this:
    http://www.kidicaruswiki.org/Dark_Pit

TheomanZero, Mitewing and sbq92 like this.
  15. Mitewing

Dark Pit is perfect. He needs 16bit and GB options as well. There still needs to be an NES/GB Dark Samus. The GB is on the Wiki, and I posted a potential NES version several pages back.

16. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Dark Pit first appears canonically in Uprising and originates from a color pallete available for Pit in Super Smash Bros Brawl.

I never liked Dark Samus, and in my opinion this would be even worse, it's literally as far from retro as you can currently get. At least Dark Link was in an NES game, and other characters like Little Demon are from games that are trying to be retro or draw from that kind of nostalgia or theme.

There is actually an "evil Pit" that was featured in a retro game, but the wiki page doesn't have a lot of information about it. I think that would be a good thing to try to skin. It might be easy to just recolor Pit to look dark, but is it really the best choice to continue adding things like this?

Rey D and luigiman64 like this.
  17. Mitewing

I completely disagree. As long as they're canonical characters from their respective series, it doesn't matter when said characters debuted. Regardless of it being retro or not, putting limitations like this in the game completely defeats the purpose of having skins in the first place. I personally enjoy playing as evil/alternate versions of classic characters.

As far as more Pit skins, there's also Shadow Pit from Uprising. They're silhouettes with red eyes just like Dark Link, however they're not a major character like Dark Pit is.

Dimpsy likes this.
  18. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

I still haven't heard sbq talk about "my" 16-bit Pit skin. :-\
    This:
    Samus_011.png

Mitewing likes this.
  19. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

"Regardless of it being retro or not, putting limitations like this in the game completely defeats the purpose of having skins in the first place."

Are you serious?

Go and look at all of the skins in-game right now. Because I looked myself and there are literally only two (Dark Samus and Zero Suit) which don't fit the retro theme. You think this "COMPLETELY" defeats the purpose of the system?

So the modern skins are actually a very very small, and for some people, negligible part of the game. I don't understand how you think this system does not have a purpose just because your modern characters are in question.

luigiman64 and Rey D like this.
  20. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I have no problem with adding retro-style skins of modern characters, as long as they are done well, they make sense, and we don't go overboard with them. It is still preferable to add true retro skins, but some retro-style modern skins are acceptable. I have already added this Dark Pit because a) I think it looks cool, and b) I think it's nice to add more options to Pit's different play style.