Official Samus Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Faruga, Jan 21, 2012.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Mostly just suggestions. I have plenty of sprites to work with, and can find them if I don't. Many of the items from the game are already in the Samus skins, so it's difficult to find anything to use. Though I'm also open to suggestions for changing any of the above to make them more Metroid-like.

I was probably going to do this. I do this with most of my map skins.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, I guess it'd be nice if there were 8-bit, 16-bit, and Game Boy versions of Dark Samus, and they all looked more like actual Dark Samus rather than just a recolor.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I already did.
    Um...

nickreaper, TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  4. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Did you already make the suggestion or did you already make the skins?

5. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Skins.

6. Mitewing

Ok. I just didn't see them on the wiki. Wasn't sure if anyone made them.

7. silentshadowxp

Metroid Map.png

Made some progress on the Metroid map skin. I made 8-bit versions of the bounty coins from Metroid Prime 2's multiplayer bounty mode, I changed the poison mushroom into an enemy, the 1-up is the save stations from Metroid 2, I made a small version of the Metroid egg from Metroid 2, I put a tiny metroid on the flag, and I made the fire flower the red orb that the Chozo's hold that hold weapons (since that's what the fire flowers do for non-Mario characters, it gives you back your lost weapons).

Still need a replacement for the star and the axe. I'll probably leave the vines and the springs as is, because those are rather minor and there weren't any good replacements in the Metroid games that I know of.

Edit: I also just deleted Toad. Figured it'd be fine if she comes to an empty room and someone contacts her to tell her the princess (or in this case the Metroid hatchling) is in another castle.

ThomasMink, nickreaper and sbq92 like this.
  8. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I'd recommend at least changing the color of the vine to blue or orange, to give it a different feel. You could also at change the colors of the springboards for the same reason. :)

I actually considered something like this, I just failed to suggest it. :p

I seem to recall Jay saying something a long time ago about how different skins were going to be setup to behave differently depending on the game they're for. So, the bricks for a Metroid skin would "fizzle" away instead of shatter (and perhaps even reappear after a little bit, though I don't recall if this was part of it). It would be cool if that's how it would work for this. It would mean that this skin wouldn't have extra block chunks flying out to hit enemies when using the Super Arm, but that's okay. It's how the Metroid world functions. :)

9. silentshadowxp

Crap, I forgot about the super arm chunks... I had actually set it up to where it would just fizzle away. Oh well, I'm setting this up to be accurate to Metroid, not Mega Man.

I'll probably recolor the stuff you suggested. Also, I made an 8-bit power bomb for the axe, so now I just need a replacement for the star if anyone has any suggestions.

10. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Now all we need is LL so we can have poison mushrooms ~_~

11. silentshadowxp

Metroid Map.png

Well, the screw attack was the closest thing I could think of to a star, and it gave me the idea to simply make the star look like a Metroid item.

Anyways, thoughts? Should I change anything?

ChozoBoy and sbq92 like this.
  12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Oh, I missed this. The 16-bit version looks very good, so if we get 8-bit and Game Boy versions it'd be perfect. The Game Boy version would probably just be a matter of recoloring, but the 8-bit version would require more work.
    EDIT: While we're on the subject of adding existing skins to new platforms, 16-bit and Game Boy versions of Justin Bailey Samus would be good, preferably based on Samus' appearance at the ends of those games. 16-bit JB Samus, for instance, would look like this: Super Justin Bailey Samus.PNG

Mitewing likes this.
  13. Mitewing

Something needs to replace Toad. I dont know what. Maybe a generic space Marine. There's not many characters from the Metroid universe to choose from.

14. silentshadowxp

I don't see why anything NEEDS to replace him. If Samus comes to the end of the castle and it's empty and someone contacts her through her helmet to tell her the Metroid hatchling is in another castle, I think that'd be sufficient. Sure, other characters don't have a helmet to get contacted through, but I don't see that as a real issue. The only point of that last room is to see that the princess is not there.

15. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

That looks awesome. I have an idea for the enemies too though I don't know what you are missing. XD lol I would have probably suggested something like a Reserve Tank for the 1-Up but the save station makes sense. I also don't think anyone could replace Toad.

Edit: Well some of the underwater stuff could be easily replaced with something from Super Metroid. Then the rest could be based on whatever the version is being played (NES, Gameboy, ect).

16. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I think the Power Bomb could potentially be smaller, like a normal Power Bomb. I think it would be neat for her to pick up a normal-sized Power Bomb and have the bridge fall apart (as though she used it). Since it's always a stationary object, the size of it shouldn't matter (you could even theoretically have nothing, since you have to pass through that space to get to the toad/princess anyway).

17. Overlord

I just thought, that if you could replace the pipe going down with the Elevators then that would be cool. Like the top would be the actual elevator with the rest of the pipe being the tunnel the elevator goes up and down with. The side by side pipes could be replaced with either the tunnel from Metroid I or the tunnel in Super Metroid.

Edit:
    Metroid Tunnel: http://www.metroidheadquarters.com/games/metroid/screenshots/07.png

Super Metroid Tunnel: http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:...zP7sZfgIIDnHlHRDHpr-X2WnSJFFUhzebjMR72umbKWoQ

18. silentshadowxp

The problem with the tunnels is that they are far bigger than I can make the pipes, which is why I instead made it the doors. I also thought about the elevator as a pipe, but I used the elevator for the moving platforms, and I figured since there were already pipes in Metroid I could just use those. Besides, it would look a bit odd if the elevator didn't actually go down with you and if enemies were popping out of the elevator.
    Changed it with a bit of a Metroid 1 feel. I put it in one of the jars you pick up to actually be able to use bombs and missiles in Metroid 1. I'm updating the last post that had the skin in it if you want to see it.

Edit:
    I'm going to try to make my enemy skin be purely Metroid 1 enemies, but feel free to make one for Metroid 2 and Super Metroid.

If you meant underwater enemies, see the above sentence, but if you meant underwater in general, the water I used was from Metroid 2. I tried my best to make it completely from the first game, but resorted to Metroid 2 if I couldn't find anything. I made an exception for the axe and the coins, but that was because I couldn't find anything else to switch those with.

ThomasMink, Overlord and sbq92 like this.
  19. Overlord

That makes sense, I wasn't sure if making it follow you would be possible.
    Is there an enemy outline box I could use in reference to the one for SMB?
    And, yea, I was thinking about the underwater tiles such as the ground or the environment to replace the coral to more of a "Metroid" feel.

20. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Suggestions/ideas: Cannon, Vines, (If not used as coral.) Clouds, Spring, Flagpole, Enemy Flag, Toad & boss floor. (If Ridley is used for Bowser.)

Feel free to take or leave them. Axe is a tough one... I wouldn't leave that blank, though. It's part of the gameplay.

I would also suggest using energy capsules for coins. I don't think people will get that confused. Every hundred just rolls into a new life, rather than a tank.