Official Samus Skins

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Faruga, Jan 21, 2012.

1. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Why use the elevator as a spring? That seems a bit odd. And I already use it for the moving platforms, so I wouldn't want to confuse anybody. I essentially took the bottom half of the new brick and put it on the bottom (since that's what it was in the original Mario), and then I changed them to the colors of the high jump power-up. I know it's not necessarily the most creative thing, but it was all I could think to do.

I can't use the Zebetite as the flagpole since I used it in the theme skin, and the cannon (which I would have used for the cannon if it shot out something Mario could jump on) wouldn't really make much sense as a flag. The Autrack also wouldn't really work as a cannon either because of the fact that Mario can't jump on what it shoots out.

Honestly, I think Kraid would be a really bad idea for a Toad replacement, since he's a boss and not some friendly NPC like Toad is. As for the vegetation as vines, I was thinking about it, but since they harm you or block your path in Metroid 2, I don't think it would translate well.

I originally was going to use the health pick-ups as coins, but they're already in the Samus skins, so I figured that if Jay implements a new health system for characters like Samus and Mega Man it would actually confuse people.

I may change the boss floor in my theme skins to that though, since I am using Ridley over Bowser. I'm not sure if it will work well visually with any theme that's chosen for the castles, but I'll check it out.

sbq92 likes this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

For Toad, how about one of the friendly creatures from Super Metroid (Dachoras and Etecoons)? I know they're not from the original Metroid, but they're my only idea, and they shouldn't be too hard to devamp into 8-bit.

3. silentshadowxp

I had thought about those as well, but they don't speak. XD

4. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I quite like the idea of nothing for Toad. I think you should leave it blank. :)

ThomasMink and silentshadowxp like this.
  5. Zarran

Zarran Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

Here is a WIP for a 16-bit Justin Bailey Samus Skin.
    SNES JB Samus.png

sbq92, Faruga, TheomanZero and 2 others like this.
  6. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

An idea of skin(I will not made it):The current zero suit samus(like my avatar).

7. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

For some reason, Jay does not like the Zero Mission sprites.

8. coolman

How about a custom sprite of SNES style of the actual Zero suit samus?

9. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Good start! The stark outline on the gun is a little odd, though.

10. silentshadowxp

You saying the word stark in a Samus skins thread made me think of how cool an Iron Man skin would be.

Overlord and sbq92 like this.
  11. Korby

Korby Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Probably because they're GBA, not SNES/NES/Another one.

12. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

He said they tried them and it didn't work out well with the running animation. It's at the start of the thread.

13. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Nice! I started one of these not long ago, but yours is looking a lot better! I went with the long hair, but the ponytail looks great.

14. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

How about this for the enemies? I thought of it for a while and some may or may not work.

Gombas --> Zeela's
    I know you used them for the Posion Mushroom but they are the only NES Metroid enemies that crawl on the ground besides Zoomer's and Viola's. Since Viola's are giant fireballs pretty much, it wouldn't make sense to stomp on them. As well as the Zoomer with the spiky back.

Red/Green Koopa/Flying Koopa --> Reo
    It's hard to find enemies that crawl on the ground but at least these things fly up and down at you. (You see the green one right after you start and head under the tunnel in Metroid I) There are three different colors (green, red, and a lighter green) so it fits more then most other ones do.

Hammer --> Dragon
    This is probably one of the only creatures in Metroid I that shot projectiles. It would be hard, though, to replace the Hammer Bros with since the Dragon's are only in lava. I suppose if a patch of ground was replaced with lava then it would matter (Dragon's come in red and blue).

Hard Shell Koopas --> Holtz
    Only reason why I picked Holtz was because they share the same basic size and shape. If you don't know what Holtz are, they are one of the critters that pop out of the holes in the ground and look like flying helmets(or balls). They are not really hard to kill in Metroid though so that's the only thing not shared between the two.

Spikes --> Zoomer's
    Even though Zoomer's are the first enemies you come up to in Metroid, the spiky back and desire to crawl on the ground really match up. Even if it doesn't look like it, Zoomer's have spikes (but of course not compared to Geemer's in Metroid Prime).

Bullet Bill --> Rippers
    That one is easy. Rippers are invincible to everything but Samus' Missile and Screw Attack, and only follow one path (left to right). I suspect that the cannon the Bullet's come out of could be replaced with a miniature version of the spawning hole from Metroid I. Just flipped to the side and placed back to back with another while standing on a rock or thin piece of metal?

Fireballs --> Squeept's
    They do the same basic thing those fireballs in Bowser's castle do; jump up and down in lava. The only thing that could kill it was Missiles and Screw Attack.

I have no idea about the fish or the squid. D:

15. Korby

Korby Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Bloopers could easily be Metroids and Fish Cheep Cheep could be any of the enemies that come out of the pipes and fly at you.

16. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

NES Metroids wouldn't fit.

17. coolman

Yes they fit.See my enemy megamix skin on the wiki.

18. ChozoBoy

ChozoBoy Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Sorry... I remembered them being two units long for some reason.

19. Overlord

Overlord Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I actually had Metroid's for the Parana Plants, just upside down. Since there were red ones and green ones it fit. Though it seems my template was shot down already. xP

20. Zarran

Zarran Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

Here's the more or less finished 16-bit Justin Bailey skin.
    SNES JB Samus.png
    I don't love the climbing sprites, but I just couldn't get them to look better than this.

Frozsoul, ThomasMink, Korby and 4 others like this.