Save ALL the Toads!

Discussion in 'Challenges' started by Faruga, Oct 31, 2012.

1. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

According to the original SMB1 instruction manual, the plot of SMB1 goes like this: Mushroom Kingdom happy place ruled by Princess Toadstool, Koopa army takes over, turns inhabitants into blocks, only Peach can turn them back to normal but is kidnapped by Bowser, Only You Can Save Toadkind. When you think about it, this means that for every brick block broken, you kill a Toad. So don't break any bricks, or at least as few as you possibly can. Also, you can't use warp zones.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  2. Zyborg

Zyborg Level 5: Spiny

Uh... yeah... reading the backstory to a few of the Mario games makes him look like a jerk. Mistreating his pet gorilla, knocking him off a building, sending vicious animals after DK JR who is just a little kid trying to save his daddy, and killing innocent toads...

Lilfut and MissingNo2 like this.
  3. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This is a good idea, I think it's basically one facet of the Minimum Points run, since breaking bricks actually awards a few points. It is definitely possible to avoid breaking any brick with at least Bass and Sophia, that much I know (as long as warps are allowed).

4. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Actually, are there any levels where breaking bricks is required for progress? I know 1-2 is for characters that aren't small.

5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Not any, as far as I remember.

For characters like Bill or Simon, it's completely impossible to pass without breaking bricks. Very likely that Bass can't either. For Samus, it's a matter of luck.

6. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

We must not forget that for saving ALL Toads, it is also required to clear every castle.
    This would make sections of the game unbeatable depending on how you reached them. This is carefully thought-out on SMB.
    As for SMBC, probably Bill won't pass such sections easily.
    He could get to crawl to solve this problem.

7. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

A quick look through the maps of the game showed there is only one place where some characters would be required to break bricks, and that's the 2-brick overhang in 1-2. However, if a character is able to get up above before that section, he or she could potentially break fewer bricks (e.g., Ryu can climb the wall at the start of the level and hop onto the ceiling and just run through without breaking any bricks).

I also think ReNeX is right in that you have to finish all of the castles in order to rescue all of the toads.

TheomanZero, MissingNo2 and Omicron like this.
  8. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I guess no one watched my Bass min point run :p

For the 1-2 situation, Bass can reach the ceiling with a well-executed double jump at the very beginning (off the row of coin blocks). Even with his dash he can't pass through small gaps like Mega Man can with his slide. But he has the best manueverability in the game, next to Sophia.

I don't know anything about the levels that aren't part of warp-runs, though.

Rey D likes this.