Request Scorpoion_sprite_sheet

Discussion in 'Characters' started by SovereignII, May 27, 2012.

1. SovereignII

SovereignII Level 3: Paratroopa

Scorpoion is ready to take on the Super mario cross over game.
    I have found a Sprite sheet from mortal kombat 2 of scorpion and converted the format to match the one used by smbc I have also added other elements that can be used by the character much like how bass and bill have in their sprite sheets.

=Stock Moves=
    Up-Jump
    Down-Duck
    Z-Punch "Tap to combo punch"
    X-Kick "Tap to combo kick"
    Left and Right-Walk "tap then hold to run"
    =Pick ups=
    Dragon emblem-Health pick up
    Dragon shield-Unlock special moves
    =1 Dragon Shield Special Moves=
    A-Harpoon "Aka spear"
    S-Teleport
    =2 Dragon Shield Special Moves=
    A and S "Same time"-Fire spit
    Z and X "Same time"-Toss attack

I'm also working on finding his sfx and music files.
    Let me know if I can be of any help in adding scorpion to the game.

Attached Files:

2. French rocks

French rocks Level -1: Banned

There are a lot of reasons why your character should'nt be included. First of all: it's attacks would'nt work because A and S are'nt buttons for attack (except if you change your controls) and anyways there are too much buttons to attack. Second, your sprites are'nt 8-bit, make 8-bit sprites and we'il see if they are good. Third, this character is'nt iconic at all. Fourth, it's spelled Scorpion!!!! So, here's a lot of arguments which all says it should'nt be included.

3. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

*raises eyebrow*
    Actually, there are just enough buttons. If A=Special and S=Select, it could be done.

Being 8-bit is not necessary to be in the game. I mean...there probably won't be any non-8-bit characters, but it's not a requirement.

Actually, Scorpion is a very iconic character. Have you ever heard the phrase "GET OVER HERE"? That's Scorpion. In fact he was the first character in a fighter to have a long range grapple.

Typo =/= reason not to include someone.

Broadly I agree with you, however. Scorpion, and really fighter characters in general, are a poor fit for SMBC, but I think it'd be interesting to at least talk about.

You said you made a template for Scorpion, right Sovereign? Can you post it?

TheomanZero likes this.
  4. Moe

Moe Level 0: Newbie

Why not Sub Zero? He can freeze enemies and slide if he wants to. I know you have the scorpion sprites, but think of having sub zero as well. What if he was in the game?

5. Omegaman

Omegaman Level 6: Lakitu

Funny, because the first thing I thought when I saw CV1 Simon was that it was scorpion. I mean, they have a really simallar design too.. both of them even have the hood thing!

6. uglyrodent

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    They don't look THAT similar...but I kind of see what you mean.

Although Simon doesn't have a hood; that's hair. I could see how it looks like a hood.

7. SovereignII

I noticed each of the characters have a unique sprite sheet so I posted the one I made as an attachment in my first post. Also scorpion could work in the game also he would be the first close fighter style character.
    I think I might have to re-size the sprites tho.

As for the punching and kicking the same programming used for the stop attack could be used but the impact point could be moved to scorpion's fists for his punching and to his feet for the kicks.

8. uglyrodent

That's an ordinary sprite sheet; it looks nothing like the templates used in SMBC.

TheomanZero likes this.
  9. SovereignII

Ok when I re-size it I will modify it some more then.
    Also I was right the sprites I did was way to big.
    I'll try to get to modding it tomorrow some more.

I downloaded simon and ryu to use them as a base line.

-Edited-
    I think I got all the audio files that will be needed for scorpion in this game.
    Also the new sprite sheet I did is more to scale and is now 8-bit paletted as well.

The sprite sheet is sorted as follows.
    From top to bottom.
    Row 1: Fighting stance
    Row 2: Walking
    Row 3: Left Ducking, Right Jumping
    Row 4: Left Standing Punch, RIght Ducking Punch
    Row 5: Harpoon Movement
    Row 6: Left Victory Pose "For Defeating Bowser (Aka Koopa), Right Buy a scorpion Doll! "For Toad and Princess"
    The rest is number font and misc.... Stuff.

If I missed any thing just let me know.

New concept for how scorpion can be used in game.
    Z key can be for punching and X Key for harpoon.
    Also climbing should not be available because it is not in the mortal kombat game this scorpion is based on.
    Also I left out the flames for scorpion's teleport because I think it would be to hard to put in game.

In game scorpion could have no extra life's instead he could have a health bar and dragon tokens could be collected to recharge the life bar.

Attached Files:

10. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Your sprites aren't 8-bit. 8-bit sprites don't mean it's small.

11. SovereignII

I don't have a good photo software that handles 8-bit png color good. I hope some one here will convert the sprites to 8-bit for me.

12. uglyrodent

I can do it, but it would take me like an hour to do everything properly. And I'm gonna be busy today so it might take a while before I can post it.

You did this in Paint, didn't you? I recommend downloading GIMP. It's a really great, free photo editor. And it can do transparency.

Scorpion_8-bit.PNG
    -Converted to NES palette
    -Corrected border colors
    -Corrected portrait size
    -Deleted one of the life bars; you really only need the full and empty ones.
    Well...technically, you don't need either, since SMBC doesn't use health bars, but whatever.
    -Added transparency

DarkSonic likes this.
  13. SovereignII

Awesome work uglyrodent and thank you for the fixes.

The life bars are there because I think it would be cool and make scorpion more unique if the dragon icon would give a small portion of life and a 1up pick up gave full health.

An FYI the victory pose is for toad castles and the Buy a scorpion doll is for the princess castle at the end of the game.

I'd say scorpion is now 98% ready for SMBC.
    I have the music and Audio needed for him I just need the format information.

14. uglyrodent

What does this mean?

15. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

He wants to know what audio format the Crossover uses so he can convert his files.

uglyrodent likes this.
  16. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I'd say it's 2% ready for SMBC.

Audio files must be according to the simulated console.
    Those sprites don't look very regular. Looking at the 3rd line (starting from up) make it obvious that those sprites don't keep the character size ratio.
    The gameplay don't sound really adapted to a Super Mario Brothers world.

More importantly, not a line of code has been typed or any data value idea has been thought.

Omicron, TheomanZero and uglyrodent like this.
  17. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

And the crossover emulates its music.

18. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Sovereign, I should inform you that doing all of this work on the sprites and music doesn't guarantee the character will be put in the game. It's nice that it would be at least partially setup if we were to decide to put him in, but it's not enough to just make a sprite sheet and a playlist. Jay has to decide whether or not he wants that particular character in the game, and then program the character.

TheomanZero likes this.
  19. SovereignII

It's some thing of a side project of mine.
    Also keeping the character size ratio is rather hard to do you are welcome to adjust the sprite sheet as you see fit.

This project is just my way of trying to give some thing back to game that has given so many so much fun.

In retro spec I agree with the 2%.

sbq92 likes this.
  20. DarkSonic

DarkSonic Level 2: Koopa

Cool Sprites