Request Scorpoion_sprite_sheet

Discussion in 'Characters' started by SovereignII, May 27, 2012.

1. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I don't play a lot of fighting games, but this is a pretty cool concept. From my limited experience, though, fighting game characters tend to have really short jumps, have you thought about how to deal with this?

uglyrodent likes this.
  2. Christian Lee Gilley

Christian Lee Gilley Level 3: Paratroopa

Well, Scorpion would be a nice add (if not overpowered). Subzero had his own adventure game called Mythologies (I seen he was mentioned) and there are Bootlegged Mortal Kombat NES games. However the game i seen had MULTIPLE of the same character with different pallets. But one question, How would the enemies DIE? every character has their unique way of defeating an enemy, perhaps like Mythologies & vanish.

3. SovereignII

SovereignII Level 3: Paratroopa

Well I figured it would be hit and koopa is done and the more higher tier ones would take a few hits to beat the only major draw back would be the short rang attacks and lack of stomp to beat them.
    Scorpion's finishing move as sort of a special defeat or some thing to that effect.

Also Lilfut the low fighting jump height is not a problem MK character's all have sort of crazy high jump flips to draw on. Just take a look at the first and second original 2D mortal kombat games. They could in 2 or 3 jumps go from one side of the stage to the other and in the second or third one jump so high the other character was not even seen any more.

Scorpion in this game.
    -Advantages:
    Toasty attack "Can finish most Koopa troops and destroy blocks."
    High jump height "I'd say From ground level up to the top of the flag pole or mid way up the flag pole would be close to his MK 2 jump height."
    Harpoon special move "Can drag in koopa troops and dislocate blocks."
    Punches and kicks "These moves should also be able to destroy blocks."
    Health bar "This means he take multiple Hits in a single play through."

-Disadvantages:
    Lack of a stomp attack "Keeping that Mario and Luigi exclusive there."
    Fall to death "Lack of extra lives means scorpion falling down a pit truly means game over man!"
    No extra lives "Due to the health bar making him being able to take extra hits means that when you KO it's over."
    Close range fighter "Lack of a stomp attack and his only ranged attacks would be harpoon and toasty."

-Controlls:
    Z=Jump
    X=Punch
    C=Kick
    X and C= Harpoon
    X and C and Down= Fire spit aka toasty
    Z and Up= Flip jump
    "Would you like to buy a scorpion doll" Used on princess (Think of the text that could be used there.)
    "Victory pose" Would be used for toad.

-Pick ups
    Mushrooms or bronze dragon symbols= Restores a bit of health.
    Fire flowers or gold dragon symbols= Restores a bit more health then mushrooms.
    1up mushrooms= Restores half the heath bar.

I think this should clean up scorpion's controls and help him stand out more in this game plus clear up a few things.

4. Lilfut

The 1 life thing sounds interesting.

5. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Ugh, this screams out of place.
    First off, the life bar would make it too easy to just pass everything without need of attack or avoid.
    Second, the 1 life thing doesn't make sense, because the life count carries on between ALL characters.

twinAgkistrodon and uglyrodent like this.
  6. SovereignII

Well you are right I didn't take that into count.
    Unless scorpion is a one time use character that once he get's beat he is no longer available.
    As for the avoid aspect you can already almost do that.
    The life bar could be based on 6 hit's give or take with no recharge on level end.

7. Lilfut

I could see Scorpion as an "all-or-nothing" character, like, if you're having trouble with a level (specifically, 8-2), you switch to Scorpion and use his powerful attacks and health bar, with the knowledge that if you die it's Game Over.

8. SovereignII

That is basically what I mean.
    You pull scorpion out with the fore knowledge that it is all or nothing.
    That is the one major feature missing in SMBC at this moment is a sort of heavy hitting endurance character.
    If players like it then another one styled like this could be added in the future.

9. MissingNo2

I truly believe at this point that the motive of the game was forgotten already.

TheomanZero likes this.
  10. Lilfut

HOW DARE WE THINK OF WAYS TO VARY THE FORMULA

11. MissingNo2

...Because the formula is fine as it is?
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

12. Lilfut

And then we slip into irrelevancy due to a lack of desire to change.

13. MissingNo2

The point is there's a lack of need to change.

14. Lilfut

Then why update at all?

SovereignII likes this.
  15. SovereignII

Just figured I'd say that.
    What you said there is beyond true.
    Also just because some thing is in a game don't mean you have to use it.

If you had your way before SMBC even got started all we would of had would been an updated super mario bros..
    Also verity is the spice of life.

uglyrodent likes this.
  16. MissingNo2

I'm just saying that it's perfectly fine the way it is right now character-wise.
    I couldn't make much sense of this sentence. I just feel it doesn't need something that wasn't designed for a platformer in the first place. Also, how is being true the spice of life?

17. Lilfut

Something that wasn't designed for a platformer? Like Link?
    And no one likes a spelling jackass.

uglyrodent likes this.
  18. MissingNo2

Zelda 2, Link's Awakening...
    Oh? He spelled a word wrong? I thought he just used the word verity wrong.

19. Lilfut

Except the Link that appears was based on Zelda 1. If he had the Z2 spells, or even could bounce kill, you'd have an argument. And he clearly meant "variety", which is exactly what Scropion provides.

Anyway, on-topic, I actually tend to think Ryu (or maybe Ken, because of Ryu the ninja) would make a better fighting game character, simply due to skins. Ryu's special moves are nowhere near as... specialized, so it would be easier to make a Ryu/Ken skin than a Scorpion skin.

uglyrodent likes this.
  20. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Non-platformer characters are fine with SMBC. Link worked rather like in his original game in the first place. And Jay likes being creative about charactrs.
    Problem is that Scorpion is not adapted to work in this kind of environnement at all. That terrible Batman game for SNES kind of shows how terrible this Mortal Kombat moveset is for a platformer.

TheomanZero and MissingNo2 like this.