Request Scrooge McDuck from Ducktales

Discussion in 'Characters' started by Nat, Feb 12, 2012.

1. Fantasy_Zone

Fantasy_Zone Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

What about a character who works the same as Scrooge, but doesn't us his image? An invented character to get around the copyright infringement. That might still be copyright infringement though.

2. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

That'll suit better SRS, unless there's another character from another non-licensed game with a similar gameplay.

3. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

"Do not reverse engineer the software or its components;"

4. E-Pro

E-Pro Level 3: Paratroopa

Yeah, they could swap him out with all kinds of characters; he could be a golfer, a hockey player, the grim reaper. I would personally like to see the grim reaper bouncing around on his scythe and putting objects around the screen.

EDIT: Golfing astronaut!

5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Even if it's just graphics, it's still the Disney character we're talking about. The risks of getting sued are still high.

6. Anon421

Anon421 Guest

Is that so...

SCROOGE YOU DISNEY!!!

Mitewing likes this.
  7. Pgj6297

Pgj6297 Level 2: Koopa

Isn't SMBC just a parody in game form?

E-mail, snail mail, phone...

8. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

A parody is taking the original and satirizing it. A fangame is making a game based off existing franchise(s) and working from there. It was not intended to be a parody.
    They'll probably laugh and send a wrecking ball at Bunny BQ if anyone did that.

TheomanZero likes this.
  9. Pgj6297

...Why would they do that exactly?

Ok, before we conclude that "copyright infringment" is getting in the way, let's think for a second.

Mario, Luigi, Link, and Samus are all owned and trademarked by Nintendo. However, they are perfectly OK with emulators as long as you download roms of games you actually own

Mega Man and Bass are both owned by Capcom. However, copyrighted or not, Capcom doesn't seem to give two shits about the Mega Man franchise anymore.

Ninja Gaiden is owned by Tecmo Koei Games, who is practically OK with Microsoft putting cameos from Ninja Gaiden in thier games.

Conta is owned by Konami, who is perfectly OK with other games using there famous KONAMI code, of which has the copyright company's name in it.

Blaster Master is owned by Sunsoft, a division of Acclaim Entertainment, who went defunct in 2004. So anything by them is up for use.

And don't even get me STARTED with skins.

So if all these companies allow people not to get sued because of using their characters, I think copyright infringment is the least of our problems. Also, the DuckTales GAME was made by Capcom, who's reason I mentioned above.

Also, Disney has a similar feeling towards old characters like Capcom, they don't give two shits about them. Seriously, when's the last time you've seen characters like Bambi, Dark Wing Duck, Binkie Muddlefoot, or Dumbo? Hell, we don't even see Mickey Mouse that much anymore.

One final nail in this coffin, you can easily find old Disney cartoons on YouTube, try explaining that one.

10. RedXe

RedXe Level 3: Paratroopa

Some of the concerns about using Scrooge are a bit valid concerning Disney. In some instances of C&D some companies have a zero tolerance policy, others apathetic or encouraging, and some take the approach of 'well is it worth it?' Crossover licensed games are a per instance case as some companies only have a time-based agreement, and once that time period is over, the 'hold' on that property is given up.

Now some Disney characters have indeed fallen out, while others are actually getting new content currently. Darkwing Duck, and by extension Scrooge and other Duck Tales characters have comics. Other lesser knowns are in agreement to Squeenix for the Kingdom Heart series and while I don't know much of what that entails between the two (three?) of them, squeenix does have a harsh reaction to fan works and could ruffle feathers where Disney might not.

I'd personally err on the side of caution and look at the 'get permission' suggestion XD

11. Pgj6297

Well, the DuckTales comics only had a short revival in 2011. As for Darkwing Duck, along with the crossover with DuckTales, it had its last brearth in November of the same year.

Let's save that for Super Retro Squad, ok? :)

12. Meg

Meg Level 5: Spiny

STOP BAZILION-POSTING.

13. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

... You really don't listen do you.
    Your.. point? This is a fan game for game characters, and all the companies you mentioned has had numerous fan games before, with a few C&D exceptions. Plus Disney is anything but reasonable about this stuff.
    Capcom paid for the rights to make said game.
    You can find anything on YouTube. Old cartoons are only a small grain of sand on the largest beach in the world.

14. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You can even find fragments from fairly recent movies on YouTube. It's pretty much unavoidable once you release DVDs.

This is from 2012. The clip was actually uploaded THE DAY BEFORE IT WAS RELEASED.

15. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

You sure that wasn't just a promo clip?

16. Faruga

Patron

idk, but it's there.

17. Pgj6297

I NEVER SAID THAT
    And you say that, why?
    That still doesn't explain why Disney hasn't taken any of it down for copyright infringment.

Two things, one: before we say that Disney will C&D a fangame,why don't you take a look at this, a WIP fangame of the cartoon TaleSpin, of which was made by Disney.

Two: Looking at the gameplay for the Amazon and Transylvania stages that was revealed recently on IGN for DuckTales remastered, I'm not sure if it's the sprites that wouldn't fit on an SNES skin, but the MUSIC of game. I'm not entirely sure weather or not a 16-bit style is what the composers were going for, seeing how the SNES Final Fantasy games (or at least one of them) used realistic sounding instruments. But if it's not 16-bit, it's nothing a few MIDIs, SNES soundfonts, and FL Studio can't handle. Then again, just look at Sophia...

18. Faruga

Patron

SMBC music has to be in a very specific format that isn't a midi.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  19. Pgj6297

Well we could just start from scratch. I actually found this SNES remix of The Moon that's actualy pretty good

Hm... What if we were to separate Scrooge's abilities into power-ups? Like being able to whack enemies with his cane for one and being able to Pogo Jump with another. Well either that or we could just make some shit up, I don't know. Also, same here! The Wii U version is just a month away!

No offense, but I don't think that would be very helpful, as we can't add our own skins to the game.

20. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

No, but it is possible that sbq92 could add it to the game. Community made skins have a chance of making it into the game if they are liked enough by Jay and sbq92.