Implemented Selecting random character also randomizes the skin

Discussion in 'Features' started by Frozsoul, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

When selecting a random character on the character select screen, the game uses the currently selected skin. I think it would be better if the game randomized the skin as well.

World 1-1 likes this.
  2. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

If you choose Single Player Random it will, but other than that it won't. I agree that would be pretty cool though.

3. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

I just thought this yesterday. Would be nice.

4. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I would prefer it not do that, actually.

The problem I have with it is that, for every character, I pretty much prefer one skin and, for the most part, really don't like the rest. And going into the menu to change back to the one I want at the beginning of almost every round is a *huge* pain in the ass, especially given that it's a few branches into the option tree. I've already stopped playing single character random mode, partly because it randomizes the skin, and partly because I don't like Bass (or Mario or Luigi, for that matter). If the manual "random" option also randomized the skin, it would steer me away from the option altogether. And that would be a shame, because random character selection is a feature I really like.

Back when there were only eight characters and no alternate skins, the "random selection" feature worked just fine with no customization options. Sure, Mario controls like ass, but you only had a 1/8 chance of drawing him. Now, your chance of getting burdened with a Mario brother is a undesirable 1/5, and the random skins make you a lot less likely to get something you were kind of hoping for... which is why I've pretty much stopped playing any mode except survival (or Single Character Challenge, I suppose).

uglyrodent likes this.
  5. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I agree that as the number of playable characters and skins continue to grow, the need for an ability to customize a roster of characters and skins grows as well.

6. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

Yeah, that's exactly what I'm trying to say. The existence of the survival mode indicates that this functionality is already at least partially present in the game, and thus should not be difficult to implement fully.

Furthermore, on a somewhat-related note, The game is getting customization-heavy enough that it would be nice to have your preferences saved locally so that you don't have to set up the game just the way you like it every time.