Request Separate the Blue Ring from the Mushroom

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mitewing, Dec 24, 2012.

1. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

This change doesn't seem to flow well with the other characters powerup systems. They enhance their weapons only. Plus you already have a hit point when you get it so it just doesn't seem to make sense. It seems like it would make more sense to keep it separate and then when you lose the Mushroom, you still keep the Blue Ring and it will come in handy since you don't lose bombs anymore after losing the Mushroom.

2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I guess I'd be okay with this. Link does already have a Mushroom upgrade, anyway.

ZeroXBeoulve and Mitewing like this.
  3. Mitewing

Yeah, mainly. I'd mainly like to have the Blue Ring after keeping the Mushroom for use with the bombs. With the new powerup system, items and secondary weapons are not lost when losing the Mushroom.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  4. Mitewing

It's been awhile so I'm bumping this. There's been numerous views but not any more feedback.

5. elim

elim Level 2: Koopa

Your argument makes a lot of sense, but I think the blue ring was an under-whelming power-up on its own. I'm fine with it being combined with the mushroom if it means getting the more exciting equipment faster.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  6. Alias X Beoulve

Alias X Beoulve Level -1: Banned

I think Elim has a good point.
    But I also think that it should still be a separate 'thing' just because Link doesn't have that many powerups anyway, compared to most of the other characters.. That's why I think it's a good idea and I agree.

Edit: Upon further speculation, I retract my support for one reason:
    You get a mushroom before getting other powerups, granted. However, I always thought it was really annoying getting the red ring before the blue ring in previous versions of the game. I think it would be overly complicated to program it so that the Red Ring simply doesn't appear before getting the Blue one, maybe even so far as to have to re-write the way the code works. Therefore, I think it should remain as-is.

7. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

It was my suggestion to pair the Blue Ring with the Mushroom. In 2.0 the Blue Ring was useless and didn't do a thing.

My idea is to simplify the power up system for Link and it works.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  8. TheomanZero

My feelings about this are a bit mixed. On the one hand, the Blue Ring is more precious the more often you can have Bombs without it, and separating it from the Mushroom would increase that. On the other, Link's power-up system is simpler now, which is especially a good thing if he's ever going to get more items, like the Candles or Silver Arrow.

ZeroXBeoulve likes this.
  9. Alias X Beoulve

Liked because this.

10. Mitewing

I just think Link would work better if he behaved like the other melee characters, Ryu and Simon. They don't lose any items or secondary weapons in their inventory when they lose the Mushroom. This leaves Link to only obtain the Magic Sword again after getting the Mushroom. This would also simplify the power up system.

11. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Not true at all.
    Blue Ring stopped him from getting hurt by his bombs.

Rey D, ZeroXBeoulve and Mitewing like this.
  12. Mitewing

Exactly my point. If he lost the Mushroom, he could still keep the Blue Ring since it's an item and it could still be used because bombs are also kept after losing the Mushroom.

13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Why not just get rid of Blue Ring? If you're going to keep the point of self-damaging bombs, might as well just go the full length and make it a consistent mechanic. Plus, the mushroom is always the first power-up out of a box, you'll have the Blue Ring ALOT.

14. Alias X Beoulve

I have been waiting.
    WAITING.
    For someone to make this point.

Why... Do you want to be hurt by your own bombs?

Mitewing likes this.
  15. Dinospy_01

Dinospy_01 Level 5: Spiny
    Exploding Patron

I don't think that's the case - He was pointing out the function of the ring, not advocating for one side or the other.

And I think any way to keep the upgrade system from becoming convoluted and/or longer would be better. Specifically for Link, since he's so dependent on short range early on, keeping it balanced, but also allowing the player to improve their boomerang and acquire the bow as soon as they can would be best. It seems that currently his upgrades progress at a similar rate to the other characters.

16. Alias X Beoulve

I wasn't talking to him, I was talking to Mitewing, the one that wants to blow himself up.

17. Mitewing

I don't want to blow myself up. Lol. Preventing such is why I started the thread. I want the blue ring to not be tied up with the Mushroom. I want to still have it after losing the Mushroom because you still have bombs and thus it's still useful. Separating it from the Mushroom.would allow you to keep the blue ring if you don't have the Mushroom. I don't know how I can make it any clearer.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  18. TheomanZero

I still want both Rings to be in the game so that Link will have all three colors.

MissingNo2, Mitewing and ZeroXBeoulve like this.
  19. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

Holy shit I didn't know this.

20. Mitewing

Now you know...and knowing is half the battle!