Considering Simon and Ryu should able to destroy projectiles

Discussion in 'Features' started by Mr.Giang, Apr 2, 2012.

1. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well dang. There's been so much discussion about it that I hadn't realized it was so confined. I just assumed it was something everyone knew because exciting news tends to spread.
    Of course, there's something to be said for keeping threads on-topic. I guess the reason it only came up in that thread is because that's the topic of that thread, and whenever someone wanted to talk about Unity they went to that thread to say it, because that's what it's for. I suppose people could go around announcing the platform change in unrelated threads, but that seems like spam to me.
    As for it not being mentioned on the front page, that caught me by surprise a little, but I guess Jay doesn't want to make an announcement until he has something more concrete to show.
    It really does seem wrong that something this important could happen without a regular forumite like you hearing about it, but I can't really think of a solution, either.

2. Nemephosis

Nemephosis Level 6: Lakitu

well, I never visited a thread that talked about the future of the development... and all the discussion was confined there, so... it's quite easy. :p

3. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

He's not your guy, friend!

4. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I think maybe someone should make a unity thread if there isn't one already

Mitewing likes this.
  5. Nemephosis

guy, guy, seriously... don't overreact dude. its ok friend, we're just having a discussion pal

6. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

ThomasMink likes this.
  7. Nemephosis

Guy, guy, you don't have to be like that, buddy. We're all friends here, amigo... c'mon cabron.

8. TheomanZero

I thought the "Future of SMBC Development" thread already was the "Unity thread".

ThomasMink likes this.
  9. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

But even though it will change things, it is not NECESSARY for people to know about Unity, so it's ok. They'll just have mind-blown a bit more than us.

10. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Hopefully this will be added eventually. I was hoping to see this in 2.1. I do have a question. Can any of Ryu's or Simon's subweapons also destroy projectiles?

ThomasMink and TheomanZero like this.
  11. Rey D

Patron

From mind, I think Ryu can't destroy projectiles with sub-weapons whereas Simon can.
    Need confimration for Ryu.

12. Rey D

Patron

Well thing is, SMB has only hammers and firebars as projectiles.
    But SMBC must have something different.

So the thing is, should SMBC stick to faithfulness and have the SMB game projectiles, or have litteral projectiles ?

13. Mitewing

In this instance, SMBC should stick to the characters' gameplay faithfulness and have literal projectiles. These are two characters who have problems with Bowser on the later levels. The literal projectiles would only be hammers and Bowser's fire, so I don't see how this would affect anything for the Mario Bros game play or any other characters.

14. TheomanZero

If Bowser's fireballs are actually enemies, doesn't that mean that armor-piercing weapons and Samus' Ice Beam should work on them?

Also, just because something isn't an enemy, that doesn't necessarily make it a projectile. Firebars are obstacles.

ThomasMink likes this.
  15. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I agree with this, but I'd also add the opposite too. Just because something is an enemy, that doesn't necessarily mean it's not a projectile. Bullet Bill is a projectile based enemy.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. Mitewing

In Ninja Gaiden and Castlevania, projectiles are objects thrown or shot from an enemy. This logic should extend to SMBC in regards to Ryu's and Simon's individual gameplay. So whatever needs to be done coding wise, they should be able to destroy similar objects in SMB. That is all.

17. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

I'd like to officially throw my support behind this request. I noticed while playing with the All Hammer Bros. and Evil Hammer Bros. cheats that both Simon and Ryu start at a significant disadvantage compared with the other characters. However if their normal attacks could destroy hammers it would be a great equalizer.

Can anyone from the ER team comment as to whether this feature will be in 3.0? It seems this update was officially considered a very good idea since last year. Thanks.

18. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Unfortunately, this won't be in 3.0. The main issue is that hammers, fire breath, and podoboos are currently designated as projectiles in the code, rather than as enemies, which means there is no means by which anything can interact with them. We are hoping to make this change at some point, though.

ThomasMink and TheomanZero like this.
  19. Mitewing

I wonder if this will be considered for the HTML5 version, as well as working shields for Link and Proto Man? I'm sure this will definitely be needed for the gameplay of SAS!