Official Simon Belmont: What a horrible night to be a goomba.

Simon Belmont, from Castlevania, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This thread is specifically for the in depth discussion of Simon Belmont in Super Mario Bros. Crossover. Feel free to post hints, tips, tricks, ideas, suggestions, impressions, etc.

Wiki Page: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/Simon_Belmont

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Uh... I really like using Simon. His jump is not too hard to master. My only problem is that he's kinda crappy compared to the ennemies. It's hard to not be hit by ennemies like lakitus' spinies or paratroopas. Also, without any power up, I'm just defenseless.

Viga Man likes this.
  3. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

The best char in SMBC.

Viga Man likes this.
  4. Rockstar_Bob

Rockstar_Bob Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

^ This. He's got Axes. Nothing can stop him. XD

5. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I've encountered a game-killing bug with Simon:
    I'm at 8-4. I'm fighting Bowser and I get hit. So I walk through him and (I think) double jump my way over to the axe. The victory jingle plays at first, but is quickly swapped with defeat as I'm teleported into the start of the section, fall through the floor and die.

Viga Man likes this.
  6. Rockstar_Bob

I've only encountered this once without the Classic Jump Cheat on. But it wasn't in that level.

With it on, however, It happens every damn time in every level, I think. (Can never beat 1-4 to find out.)

7. Scorpion42

Oh yeah, I had Classic Jump enabled too, so I guess that's the problem. However, it didn't happen just now when i tried again without double jumping my way over to the axe and already had killed Bowser.

Suggestion: Enemies killed by Simon should perhaps randomly drop hearts, and the axe should use them. I mean, the axe is fun, but a bit overpowered, right? And if it isn't then maybe you could swap it with the stopwatch, or implement the other sub-weapons in some way as well?

Or don't, I'm actually not sure about this idea myself.

Viga Man likes this.
  8. bnjay29

bnjay29 Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I think this bug was brought to light already. But I witnessed it on World 1-4 and I managed to beat Bowser with easy jumps on. So either way we try to beat the stages we are screwed. Hope this gets fixed quick.

9. jerry

jerry Level 6: Lakitu

I'm no master, but the axes have a fixed path, so it's hard to hit sometimes.

I would make the axes a bit more OP if they are going to have to have ammo.

How many axes does it take to kill a gooma? If I recall it's like 3... But I haven't played in forever.

Viga Man likes this.
  10. Rey D

Patron

Question: can we talk about musics here?

11. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

This thread is about Simon in SMBC. So, I think it's allowed, if it's about Simon's music in SMBC.

12. Rey D

Patron

Then here we go. Everyone who played Castlevania or finished SMBC one time at least knows that musics when playing with Simon in SMBC are from the 2 first Castlevania.
    The Day Levels play Vampire Killer, the music played in Castlevania at the 1st stage, when you're at the entrance and then enter the castle (if you want to progress in the game, though).
    The Undergrounds Levels play Bloody Tears, the Overworld theme in Castlevania II.
    The Underwater Levels play the cities' theme in Castlevania II.
    The Night Levels play the "Horrible Night" theme in Castlevania II.
    I don't know for the others, but except underwater, I just need these ones to talk about. All musics in SMBC matches the levels. They are incredibly well chosen. However...

At the beginning, when the game wasn't released yet, the Bloody Tears played at the Day Levels, but it's been decided that they'd play Vampire Killer instead cause most of people know it better or something like that.
    BUT Bloody Tears= an overworld theme= Matches perfectly Day Levels which ARE the overworld of SMBC
    Vampire Killer= music in the castle= matches underground (does it?).
    The only music that matches perfectly with Simon is actually the music in Night Levels, as it's the Horrible Night theme.

Just noticed.

13. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

What a horrible night to be in the Mushroom Kingdom.

14. Rockstar_Bob

I think the music is just fine as it is. And I'm the guy that thinks there should be CV3 music for the inevitable Trevor skin. I even made one of those damn music edit videos, lol. XD

15. jerry

jerry Level 6: Lakitu

Jay needs to make the "Out of Time" music "Out of Time".

16. Rey D

Patron

I do too. But I think it'd be better. However, Jay's the one who decides, so. I'll have a look at his videos. Maybe there is more explanations.

Edit:
    Yeah BEGINNING! (1-1/1-3) ...HEY, WAIT! I want the Clockwork ! Why is it just here when you enter the pipe (1-2)?! However, I think the "winning" themes should not change, cause they are more recognizable. Here are my ideas now:
    Day Overworld: Bloody Tears (=overworld)
    Underground: Beginning (=overworld,but awesome so)
    Underwater: Whatever, vampire hunters have never swum (no, it's not a music)
    Night Overworld: Horrible Night (=night)
    Castle: Vampire Killer (=castle)

Whadja think?

17. Scorpion42

I think Simon only should use music from the games he's in, while "The Inevitable Trevor Skin" should use music from Dracula's Curse.

Alternately, Simon could use "Wicked Child" as his overworld theme,
    and "Walking on the edge" as his underworld theme.

18. Rey D

Patron

OMG Wicked Child is sooo cooool! I hope we'll have music changed with skins one day. It's be so nice!

Edit: I just played the offline SMBC 1.0, and I realized that Wicked Child used to be played in Coin Heavens and Underwaters !

19. Rey D

Patron

If you look at the opposite direction of where you wanna go, press jump AND THEN press the direction you wanna go, you can do a backward jump. It's useless and worse than usual jumping, but it's kinda funny. (Classic Simon Off)

20. Captain Knight

Captain Knight Level 6: Lakitu

I agree that Wicked Child shall be overworld. Vampire Killer is getting old. The underwater theme should be changed, but it definitely shouldn't be Walking on the Edge.