Official Simon Belmont: What a horrible night to be a goomba.

Simon Belmont, from Castlevania, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

→ Actually what I've been having in mind since the victory pose has been requested.

Scorpion42 and TheomanZero like this.
  2. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

I didn't know the victory pose had been requested.

3. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Scorpion42 likes this.
  4. Fez

Fez Level 2: Koopa

Not sure if this was requested, but, I think for Simon, there should be some sort of "second-chance" feature when it comes to sub-weapons, like in Rondo of Blood, where if you collect a sub-weapon, your previous one would be left out for a few seconds, in case you had second thoughts about your sub-weapon choice.

5. TheomanZero

Okay, I'm not sure if this is the right place to say this. I started work on this in the Simon Skins thread, but it seems all you can do from there is submit skins to the wiki for potential inclusion, and this seems a little different from that. But anyway:
    I edited Simon's 16-bit skin because I thought the current one wasn't very good (certainly not on the level of, say, Trevor's 16-bit skin). Rey D helped me re-shape the hair, but the recoloring is mine, using the colors from the portrait.
    There are actually two versions. One has the headband going around his hair:
    Simon New Hair.png
    and the other has his hair hanging over the headband:
    Simon New Headband.png
    Personally, I think the first one looks better, but the second one matches the portrait more. In any case, I submit these as replacements for Simon's current 16-bit skin (whichever one you prefer).
    Oh, and if they need any edits, go ahead -- I'm not confident about how I shaded the hair, and it may not animate correctly. This was actually my first spriting project.

6. Scorpion42

Pretty good, well done. Reminds me of the Amiga version, somehow.
    It still has the problem of being outlined, which is one of the main reasons I don't like the current skin. While it sorta was on the NES too, it was a brown color, the same one used for his hair, and it seemed more fitting that this dark gray. It just makes him look like a toon. 16-bit Trevor isn't outlined, and he looks great.

7. TheomanZero

Does this improve things at all?
    Simon Outline Comparison.png
    I also tried removing the outline entirely, but it looked terrible, so I don't think I did it right.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  8. Scorpion42

Yeah, I think so.

9. DarkSonic

DarkSonic Level 2: Koopa

i suck at playing as :simon: lol

10. TheomanZero

Scorpion42 likes this.
  11. Mr.Giang

Mr.Giang Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

In the intro, why did Cursed Simon get the turkey in the wall while in Castlevania II there is no turkey was found? Why can't we replace it with the hint in the wall? It actually appeared in Simon's quest!

12. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

It's just a skin.

13. Mr.Giang

I know it is a skin but why don't we replace the turkey since it didt'n appear in Castlevania 2?

14. Crownjo

Crownjo Level 7: Bloober

But I liek the turkey... Well what did Castlevania 2 Simon collect?

15. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

16. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

It could be replaced on the skin, but if we were to ever add health bars, then CV2 Simon would be collecting hints to recover health, and that just doesn't work.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  17. Mr.Giang

I want it to be replaced as a skin, really.

18. sbq92

Yeah, but my point is that the meat is on the sheet, and so replacing it with something else for the sake of CV2 Simon's introduction means that if meat is ever implemented in the game, the replacement would appear as the health-giving item, and that could be weird if it's something like a piece of paper (I'm not sure what the hints look like in CV2).

Mr.Giang likes this.
  19. Scorpion42

They're red books. But yeah, you're right.

Maybe we could give it a more Simon's Quest-like palette.

20. sbq92

The meat is actually already red/white, like many other objects in CV2. At least, it is on the sheet I have. I don't recall if it was already like that, or if I changed it at one point, but in either case, it will be red/white in the Unity release.

Scorpion42 and Rey D like this.