Official Simon Belmont: What a horrible night to be a goomba.

Simon Belmont, from Castlevania, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

The meat thing is colored in a CV2 palette.
    It does look weird since there's none of these in that game, but it's fine as it is.

2. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

Ok, cool. I didn't check if it was like that or still used the red and pink palette. Good to hear it doesn't.

3. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I think we should make it a hint for now, and then revert it to meat if health bars are ever implemented.

MissingNo2 and Rey D like this.
  4. Rey D

Patron

This. Since there's no health bar, it doesn't hurt to use the hint books. And if it ever has to be reverted, it would take maximum 5 to 10 minutes to change it.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  5. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

You know, now that the SCV IV skin has been implemented, I don't think we really need the old 16-bit Simon skin any more. I've never liked the old 16-bit Simon all that much, which is why I tried to improve on it, but now there's a 16-bit Simon in the game that both looks really good and is not just a slight edit of the 8-bit version. Both skins use the same music anyway (as far as I can tell), so nothing would be lost if we got rid of it . . . does anyone actually prefer it to the SCV IV skin?

Scorpion42 and MissingNo2 like this.
  6. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Not me, that's for sure.

7. Rey D

Patron

Me. Depending on the style of the Map Skin.
    Like, for SMW map, I'll use the old one.
    For SMB3 SNES, I'll use Super Cas' one.
    Or something.

8. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

I personally think we have too many skins in general. I'm sure some skins could be cut out and it wouldn't be that bad. Like Theo said, the SNES Simon skin could be cut out, as well as ones such as the Skeleton, Sophia J7, Mr. X... some of those are just redundant in my opinion. I could make a list of the skins I think are redundant, but a lot of people would probably disagree with me, plus this isn't the thread to talk about that.

9. TheomanZero

Personally, I think a skin can have one of four reasons to be in the game:
    1. It's the only one for that character and that console.
    2. It's from an official game.
    3. It depicts a different character from the default skin.
    4. It looks really good.
    The old 16-bit Simon skin originally fell into the first category, but thanks to SCV IV Simon it no longer fits any of them. For that matter, the same is true of the old 16-bit Bill (and Lance) now that we have Pinkie Pie's customs.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  10. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I think the 16-bit Simon (and Bill/Lance) actually look really good.

Rey D likes this.
  11. MissingNo2

To drop myself in on this, I think they looked fine enough to work, but then there came the ones that objectively looked better. The old ones are essentially of lesser quality, and as stated, kinda redundant.

TheomanZero likes this.
  12. Rey D

Patron

I can't agree with that "objectively better".
    From an objective point of view, they bare different styles, and none is "better" than the other one.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  13. MissingNo2

Well when putting the styles of the appropriate games into consideration, the new skins better fit the styles of their games that were released in the 16-bit era, much like how the other main skins appeared.

Scorpion42 and TheomanZero like this.
  14. Rey D

Patron

That is true.
    But that doesn't mean they fit all map skins better than the old ones.

Scorpion42 likes this.
  15. MissingNo2

That is a great point. Which is why right now I'm not directly stating they should be gone forever. I feel if you don't like a skin, don't use it. I'd rather let it just be in the game and not use it than have it disappear and disappoint other people. I'm just bringing points up how it only feels sorta redundant, but then again, we've got SMB2 Mario as a skin.

16. TheomanZero

Well, SMB2 Mario is covered by number 2 on my list.
    The main thing I have against the old skins is that they look almost exactly like the NES ones, with just a bit of shading added. The new ones actually look like different sprites with more detail added, which makes them more interesting.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  17. Scorpion42

Scorpion42 Level 6: Lakitu

This could be solved if there was a system for loading custom skins. Too bad that's impossible, reportedly. Not to mention that the problem of music not fitting skins would arise.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  18. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I'm surprised you find the Skeleton, SOPHIA J7, and Mr. X redundant. The entire point of skins is to be able to experience the game as different looking characters, and these three allow that just as well as any other skin. You don't have to discuss it here (and indeed you shouldn't), but I'm curious now about what you feel makes a skin suitable for being put in the game.

19. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

I go back on what I said about the skeleton, it's a bit unique in that it's a totally different character. But for Sophia J7 and Mr. X, they're pretty much the same as the character they're a skin for (Sophia J7 is just another version of Sophia, Mr. X is Dr. Wily); they really don't have any unique qualities. Take Proto Man and Quick Man for instance. They're not just re-skins, they're actually modified to play a little differently (Proto Man shoots lower and can always charge, Quick Man runs faster but can't dash). It's kinda like my argument with Dark Link; why even have him? He plays the exact same, he's just... dark.

20. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Interestingly, the skins weren't originally supposed to have gameplay differences. Jay's original stance was "graphical change only." Once we started creating skins of characters that needed differences in order to play properly, he started seeing the value of having some gameplay differences, and now we have skins like Quick Man and Pit who play quite differently from their base characters.

uglyrodent, Mitewing, Rey D and 3 others like this.