Official Simon Belmont: What a horrible night to be a goomba.

Simon Belmont, from Castlevania, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Making the mugshot palette different from the sprite is incredibly simple. I guess Zach had done it that way, though, to differentiate between the two Simons. I agree it's ugly, but I don't know what else would be done in order to distinguish the two.

Rey D likes this.
  2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

You can add a color or two that are not in the palette of the sprite.

EDIT: If you use more colors, you have to make another portrait, because it wouldn't look right if you keep the same outline.

3. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

Yeah, but it's not just about adding a color and bam, it's fixed. The red is really where I think the problem is (it clashes with the black), and the portrait is full of it. And you can't replace it since it's in the sprite, because that would mean leaving it out entirely, which wouldn't make sense.

Well, there goes the idea then. I'm not very good at making completely new things to do with art and drawing. I'm decent with editing existing things, but when it comes to making new ones, I suck out loud.

4. sbq92

What about something like this?

simon_portrait_new.png

Many (most, even) of the NES portraits have more than three colors. I think if CV2 Simon needs more colors to look better, he can have more colors. :)

MissingNo2, Scorpion42, Rey D and 2 others like this.
  5. Zunar

Zunar Level 5: Spiny

That looks a ton better.

6. sbq92

Thanks. :)

I'll run it by Jay and/or Zach (or perhaps they'll just see it here).

EDIT: Here's the final product Zach and I landed on:

simon_portrait_new.png

We went with blonde hair because his design for CV2 actually has blonde hair, which can be seen in the ending of the game and in official artwork.

Rey D, Alkerion, elim and 1 other person like this.
  7. smashbro596

smashbro596 Level 3: Paratroopa

moved this over to here..... >3> sorry if i sounded like an idiot. thought it would go there because i was only requesting this one gameplay tweak to a specific skin... buut i guess not. so here it is.

the only thing im asking..... and i probably shouldn't but maybe there might be someone who may agree with me.
    i kinda think simon is a bit.... broken. compared to megaman and bass. I kinda wish the special button throws items while the whip can be used in all directions. is that a stupid request? maybe for only 16-bit simon/trevor?

8. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Simon is based on his 8-bit appearances in this game. That said, he is one of the harder characters to play as. If you want to change that, you could join the movement to add the Slide Kick and Drop Kick from Harmony of Despair (which is technically an 8-bit appearance):
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/some-improvement-for-simon.14801/

9. Mambo

Mambo Level 2: Koopa

You have got to be kidding. What, it's not enough that he has a double-jump and a reliable sub-weapon by default?

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah the jump is a tad hard to control but with some effort it's one of the best in the game.

11. TheomanZero

Okay, maybe not.

12. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

Simon's more difficult to use than a lot of other characters, but used properly, he's very powerful. That double-jump alone can save your bacon in a lot of situations. I don't think he really needs to be buffed at all, and I don't like the idea of giving him the ability to whip in all directions because it takes away from the utility of the sub-weapons.

13. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Yes to drop kick and slide kick.
    No to multidirectional whip.

TheomanZero and MissingNo2 like this.
  14. Mambo

You still won't be able to hit Bowser from the other side of a wall of falling hammers with a just a whip, though.

15. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Then that's your own fault for wasting your hearts. Now you have to take him out the hard way.

Mitewing likes this.
  16. TheomanZero

I know it was planned at one point that Simon and Ryu would be able to neutralize projectiles with their attacks, but I don't know if that was cancelled or just delayed.

Mitewing likes this.
  17. Mambo

How can something so simple still fly over people's heads like this?

Oh, yeah...that will make the Fuuma Shuriken own in boss fights.

18. CuvisTheConqueror

CuvisTheConqueror Level 4: Buzzy Beetle
    Patron

True, but there is more you'd be able to do with just a whip. Play CV1 and CV4 again some time; when I play CV1, I'm constantly using the subweapon. When I play CV4, I'm usually good with just the whip, and my hearts are usually maxed out.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  19. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

So is there any gameplay difference between CV 1 and 2 Simon and CV 3 Trevor? I think CV 2 Simon gets more weapons but that's it. Anyone know for sure?

20. TheomanZero

They were all the same in terms of basic abilities. CV 2 Simon's main difference was that he had an inventory that allowed him to switch sub-weapons (of which he had a different, larger set). He also had more whip upgrades, and they were permanent. These differences were largely due to CV 2's different gameplay style.
    CV 1 Simon and CV 3 Trevor had identical abilities and weapons. I have suggested a difference for Trevor (and all CV 3-based skins), but that's more of a difference in the game than the character:
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/cv3-skins-enemies-drop-sub-weapons.17076/