Official Simon Belmont: What a horrible night to be a goomba.

Simon Belmont, from Castlevania, is a playable character in Super Mario Bros. Crossover.

1. ChonShu

ChonShu Level 2: Koopa

This is a suggestion:
    All Simon skin set has an exclusive advantage or subweapon:
    - Simon (CV1, CV2, SNES, CV4, sharp x1 and atari) and Cristopher: The cross costs only 1 hearts and the stopwatch costs only 4 hearts.
    - Trevor (CV3, SNES, GB) and Sonia: The whip's damage increase by 50 points.
    - Fake trevor (CV3, SoTn) and Whip skeleton: The dagger has double stun time.
    - Richter: Can summon Biblie. (works see in the original game)
    - Alex/Kunio: 25 % longer whip/sword.

2. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

Now I wonder if CV1 Simon is intended to be modified so that he saves something different. In 2.0 he's finding the "true orb" among the fakes, but now in 3.0 he's finding "friends" which uses CV2 civilian model.

By the way, SNES Richter throws 3 knives at once, costing only 1 heart.

And I have to say, in CV3, the music in NES is much worse than in FC.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

"This is sex to my ears." ~squalled90

Develon and Mitewing like this.
  4. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Technically speaking, it's still one, but the sprite is more than one knife.
    I thought it was two, but yeah, is a nice detail.

TheomanZero likes this.
  5. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

OH MY GOD!!! WHAT THE FUCK?!?! IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!! WHY DON'T WE HAVE ZELDA 2'S FDS VERSION IN SMBC?!?! WE NEED IT!! NOW!!!NOW DAMMIT!!1!!7

EDIT: after some research, it turns out that the intro song is the only one that changes on the FDS version, the rest of the songs are exactly the same as the NES version. :oops:

Faruga and Mitewing like this.
  6. Rey D

Patron

I remember the battle song being different.

Faruga likes this.
  7. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

Hmm... I think you're right. My bad. It still not worthy to add the FDS version just for two different tracks. :-\

Faruga likes this.
  8. Rey D

Patron

I just listened to some tracks because I didn't think it was possible that they didn't take profit of the FDS capcities.
    The tracks are definitely different. The differences are subtle, but they are here.

9. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

omg

is this real
    we should probably move this

10. World 1-1

World 1-1 Level 6: Lakitu

wat?

11. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

To the Link thread, you mean?
    (And yes, it's real. FDS music really is that amazing. NES music is basically a dog turd sandwich by comparison.)

Develon, Faruga and MissingNo2 like this.
  12. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

I can't say it's better.. and I can't say it's worse. However, I can say that it's not what I'd prefer to listen to.
    I'm failing to hear this truly amazing stuff everyone else is hearing that makes me want to scream for the inclusion of FDS music.

sbq92 likes this.
  13. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I actually often feel the same way about FDS music. It could largely be because it's not what I grew up with, and according to your profile we're about the same age, so that could be the case for you as well.

Some of it does indeed sound like it's higher quality, but that doesn't always mean it's outright better than the North American equivalents. At the very least, the FDS doesn't invoke the same feelings of nostalgia for North American gamers.

ThomasMink likes this.
  14. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

It's probably this, but even still... if it was so amazing, you'd think that wouldn't matter.

I will agree about the quality. Some of it does sound higher quality... but, that said, it also sounds... off... ish... in places. Like all the instruments don't blend together as well as I think they should, or something. It's hard to describe. But as you said, that might be a byproduct of growing up with the NES music and hearing it for 20 some odd years.

15. Rey D

Patron

16. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

I just found out something interesting that might be relevant to SMBC, but I don't know how?

In Japan, the original Castlevania (Akumajou Dracula) was first released for the Famicom Disk System, and then ported to cartridge for the NES release (with the save system removed). However, a few years later, it was also released on cartridge in Japan! This version lacked the save system, like the American release, but unlike the American release it had an Easy Mode, which, among other things, removed knockback (replacing it with a stun).

I was interested to discover that there was a version of Simon without knockback, and I thought it might somehow appear in SMBC. The question is, how? It wouldn't fit into Classic/Modern Simon because both classic and modern Castlevania games have knockback. I suppose it could be a skin difference, but the only one that would make sense is NES Simon, and it seems wrong to have a difference for the default skin.

So is this relevant to SMBC, or merely interesting?

(By the way, The Legend of Zelda also had a Japanese cartridge release, but it was identical to the American version except for the addition of a "1" to the title screen, making it "The Legend of Zelda 1".)

Mitewing and Rey D like this.
  17. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

I know it may not be 100% accurate, but perhaps the MSX version could have no knockback.

18. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Change Classic/Modern to Easy/Normal? Then include all the "easy" changes in simon's character in that option.

Faruga likes this.
  19. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

I don't think we'll be implementing the "easy" version with no knockback. It is definitely interesting that there was a version of the game that had that, but I don't think there's really a place for it in SMBC. I suppose theoretically it could be setup to act that way in Easy mode, but the Easy maps are already easy enough that it isn't really worth setting up a different mechanic just to make Easy mode is even easier.

20. AkumaXX

AkumaXX Level 3: Paratroopa

The easy mode doesn't have knockback, which sucks in some TAS videos.
    We can just ignore that here, though in SMBC 1.x it's in use.