Considering Single Character Random: Allow preset skins

Discussion in 'Features' started by BTB, Feb 10, 2012.

1. BTB

BTB Level 5: Spiny

I couldn't think of a better way to work the title.

Anyhow, I've noticed that, when playing "Single Character Random" mode, the character skin chosen is also random. Trouble is, I tend to favor one skin over the others for each character, and would appreciate the ability for the game to select the character at random, but use whatever skin was selected last so that I don't have to keep going through the menu to change it.

Perhaps a single character random game could begin with you setting all of the skins to what you want in the character roster screen, after which it is no longer shown? It's just a thought, since this is the one and only thing about the 2.0 that I don't really, really like.

Well, it *did* strike me as an odd decision that Proto Man was a Mega Man alternate rather than a Bass alternate. I definitely think that would have been a more appropriate choice. But that's off-topic, really.

EDIT: perhaps the idea in the second paragraph above could be combined with the ability to deselect certain characters from being chosen randomly, a feature which I've seen requested in another topic.

huang17 likes this.
  2. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Well, you can just change the skin from the menu.

3. BTB

Like I said, it would be nice to not have to keep going to the menu to change it, particularly since the option is a few branches into the option tree.

huang17 likes this.
  4. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

If the character is random, it just makes sense to me that the skin is also random. And disabling certain characters and skins goes against the spirit of randomness, I think -- if you're going to pick random, you should be willing to play as whoever you get without complaining. The same would go for the skin, but in that case you actually can change what you get.

5. BTB

Random picking was fine for me before 2.0. There were only eight characters, and they were all great (well, except Mario). Still, you only had a 1/8 chance of rolling him, which wasn't too bad. The introduction of Luigi, however, ups your odds of getting a Mario character on random mode to a very undesirable 1/5. I also really don't care for Bass (never really have, to be honest).

The main point is that, as more and more features get added to a game, the more important customization becomes. Again, before 2.0, there was little need for it. Now, with a smattering of new characters (counting graphic swaps) and themes, it's something very desirable.

Like I mentioned, I've already seen a request to be able to disable certain characters from the "random" roster. As I think further on it, perhaps it might just be easier (from both a coding standpoint and an end result standpoint) to be able to disable both certain characters and certain character palletes.

huang17 likes this.
  6. Frozsoul

Frozsoul Level 6: Lakitu

Related to this topic, is it just me, or does selecting a random character by picking the question box on the character select screen not randomize the skin? If someone can confirm this, I would like to request it as a feature. Thanks.

Rey D likes this.
  7. BTB

This is correct. The "random" feature will randomly select from the available characters and will use the currently-selected skin.

8. BTB

What I basically ended up doing was I just stopped playing "single player random" mode entirely and just went with survival mode. This gives me pretty much the behavior I'm looking for: the skins won't randomize and I don't have to bother reviving characters I never intend to use (Bass, Mario, and Luigi).

Luigi would be nice, I suppose, if he controlled like he did in SMB2. But as it stands, both he and Mario still use the shit-tastic controls from the original SMB, and they're just a huge pain in the ass to use next to all of the other characters. Besides, having less characters in a random selection makes it easier to focus on the ones I have.

9. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

NOT changing the skin?
    1. Single character
    2. Set the skins you prefer
    3. Select the :?:
    4. Enjoy
    I personally would have liked if that box was randomizing the skin too, but I don't really care. :p

uglyrodent likes this.
  10. BTB

Yep, that's pretty much what I'm doing. Survival mode is so that I don't have to bother with a 1/5 chance of getting a controller who I can't steer (Mario or Luigi), or Bass (who I just don't like).

huang17 likes this.