Official Skin Announcements

Discussion in 'Skins' started by sbq92, Jul 16, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

There wasn't really much changed on the Old Man skins. I had to shift a few frames a little, and I had to adjust the GB colors to match Link's (there are a few GBC palettes floating around, and we've used the lighter one; I've tried the darker one and it doesn't look very good in SMBC). I did adjust the GB Old Man portrait a bit, however, to cover his eyes and to make it look more like he was wearing a hood rather than a helmet (I'm still not 100% satisfied with it, but I think it will do for now). I also changed the SNES Old Man's weapon colors so that the red one would be the strongest. I know the NES uses red for level 2 and blue for level 3, but in playtesting, it just felt more natural to have red be the strongest. (I may change this on the NES one as well.)

I guess I could share them anyway, though.
    link_020.png
    link_021.png

ThomasMink, TheomanZero and Mitewing like this.
  2. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

No, I believe SBQ told me that the skin update will ideally be in December.

3. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

A skin update 5-6 months after 3.0 was released sounds reasonable.

4. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

I'm still not satisfied with using the GBA colors in SMBC. It looks so unnatural.

5. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

GBA ? I suppose you mean GBC.
    If you really meant GBC, then let me comment that the whole mixing-and-matching thing won't make everything fit in. For GBC characters skins to fit in, SMBC needs GBC maps. Until then, grey filter.

6. Develon

Develon Level 5: Spiny

7. sbq92

As I mentioned, I tried the "correct" colors out on Link, actually expecting to stick with them, but they felt too dark and just didn't work. I really wanted them to work, but they didn't. So, I'll be sticking with the lighter palette.

8. Mariofan5000

:-\ I ment GBA.
    link comparison.PNG

luigiman64 and Faruga like this.
  9. sbq92

I feel it's important to point out that while we strive for accuracy the vast majority of the time, we do sometimes make some adjustments in favor of appearance. For example, the SMB2 SNES versions of small Mario and Luigi use recolored versions of the NES sprites because Zach and I (and probably Jay) thought the official SNES versions looked pretty bad. So, even if something we choose isn't necessarily official, we usually have good reason for doing so. As I said above, I wanted to use the darker GBC colors for Link because I would consider the GBC colors to be "official", but unfortunately they just didn't look right in SMBC.

I'm not just pointing this out because of Link's colors, but it really is more of a general statement about why things aren't always 100% accurate to the source games. Most decisions we make for SMBC are completely intentional, and anything else that doesn't fall under that category but still doesn't quite look right is most often human error.

10. Mariofan5000

Why not just have both?

11. sbq92

I'm not going to make two identical skins with just a slight difference in color. Skins like Bill and Lance are exceptions, since they are technically two different characters, and skins like the Sharp X1 versions are more like gimmicks to match the map skin. Setting up two of the same skin with slightly different palettes is pointless, though.

12. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

I wish people would think more about what the game needs or could use or what is really worth it, and not just what they want.

luigiman64 and Faruga like this.
  13. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

I agree that a lot of suggestions could use more thought, but the paradox here is that if people didn't think the game could be improved by their idea, they wouldn't suggest it.

It certainly is a dilemma.

DarkBowser100, luigiman64 and Faruga like this.
  14. Mitewing

So Old Man SNES and GB are added. IIRC, 16 bit Cut Man and Ice Man weren't added because of lack of time. Has the issue that prevented Hayate and Kaede skins for Ryu to be added been resolved?

15. Mariofan5000

First, why did you change the ring colors for SNES old man? A mistake, I hope? Also, I was hoping for an in-game screenshot with them, and I'm still waiting for your word on the blin family.

16. sbq92

I have since added 16-bit Cut Man, but not Ice Man yet. Also, the Ryu sword alignment issue has yet to be resolved. Hopefully it will be resolved by the next update.

I decided he worked better with blue and red as his second and third colors. Considering I'm the one who gave the NES one the green and blue colors in the first place, I felt rather entitled to make the change. I have actually adjusted the NES one as well. I always felt the green and blue were a bit odd (especially the green), so I made his first color brown, and then used blue and red once again as his second and third colors.

In other news, I actually have an announcement! :D

I have modified Mega Man's normal Mega Buster shots to have two frames. This way, some skins can have animated normal buster shots. This doesn't matter for most of the skins, but it does matter for the GB skins and a couple of others. I haven't animated Bass' bullets, however. I considered it, but they travel so fast anyway that it probably wouldn't make enough of a difference to matter.

So, here is the sheet:

mega_buster_frames.png

As you can see on the sheet, the location of the Mega Buster shots has changed, so use the new spaces instead of the old one. If you don't want the shot to be animated, simply use the same graphic in both squares.

17. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

Bravo! I'm always a fan of template updates.

Mitewing likes this.
  18. ThomasMink

ThomasMink Level 5: Spiny

Well... that's one way to get me to open GIMP again since I do believe I have one skin that can make use of that. :D

Mitewing likes this.
  19. Mitewing

If it's half as good as your other MM skins, then I'm going to need to change my pants for pissing on myself with excitement! LOL

Mariofan5000 likes this.
  20. Dochobin

Dochobin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

So should we update any Mega Man skins we have on the wiki?