Official SKIN FORUM GUIDELINES

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Omicron, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Omicron

Omicron Level 9: Spike Top

Here is a small set of guidelines for maintaining the skin submission process as straightforward as possible.
    1. Submit your skin to the forums on its appropriate character thread.
    2. Await for community feedback, positive or negative.
    3. Adjust skin as necessary; repeat until skin is deemed finished.
    4. Once everyone can agree the skin is done, upload it to the wiki.
    5. As the game's templates are updated, you should take care of updating your skins to match them.
    Moreover, in order to keep discussions peaceful, please refrain from using reaction images and videos for expressing negative feedback.

silentshadowxp, Rey D and Ceed like this.
  2. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

This should be moved to the SMBC skins forum, as it is a community issue, everyone should be allowed to have some input here and an open discussion.

Ceed likes this.
  3. Omicron

Oh, okay.

4. aliceandsven

I have always thought that the method of skin submissions was "Post to Forum > Discuss and/or Critique > Post to Wiki"

Skinning this game has always been a joint-effort by all of the participants in this community. Every day new skins are being posted here (on the forum) and people talk about them. If we're going to have an organized page listing "completed" skins, I think it's fair and reasonable to include community preview as one of the qualifications to be considered "complete" or near enough, at least.

It just doesn't make sense to me to skip the forum and immediately post something to the wiki. If we're trying to do our best for the sake of the game, then we should take advantage of all our resources, even if that means swallowing pride and waiting for other people to look at your work. This is an "inhale before you exhale" issue in my opinion.

EDIT: for the sake of concise guidelines;

-LEAST EFFORT: Post skin to the forum, wait a fair amount of time for people to see the skin and ensure there are no objections.

-IDEAL EFFORT: Post skin to forum and ask for feedback, ask if people have objections or feel it's wiki-ready.

Rey D likes this.
  5. coolman

coolman Level 5: Spiny

Personally,I post it to the forum and post it to the wiki after,and if the skin have problem,I repost on the forum and wiki.But I think that posting skin on the wiki should have no real rule(sexual themed skin doesn't count).If they don't post it on the forum,too bad for them,they have less chance to be better and in the game.This is what I think.

6. Omicron

I'll be updating the first post until the rules are complete.

7. coolman

if your skin have not feedback,no comment,etc,you do what?

8. Omicron

You go and ask for feedback. It's really easy to do it, just post a link to it on some place like Current Thoughts, and somebody's ought to take a look at it. You can also put links to it in your sig, directly message people about it, etc.

You don't need to keep it quiet at all. And even if you do, it's really unlikely not a single person would be willing to comment on a piece. That doesn't happen.

9. coolman

If your skin have a consequent number of like(like 5-7 or mnore),does it count like feedback?

10. Omicron

Yes, pretty much.

If people don't have anything to comment, and yet like it, we can only assume it's just about perfect then.

11. coolman

yes,because all my skin are like that,no negative comment,and a lot of like.

12. Dochobin

Dochobin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Does there really need to be a strict set of rules to follow aside from don't post what isn't yours?
    I mean, ideally you would post it to the forum, but it doesn't necessarily constitute making a rule about it in my opinion. It's like passing a law stating that you must inhale before you exhale.
    Make a rule about it, and you get into stuff like "you must wait this long for feedback after posting it on the forum to add it to the wiki" and "you must have X likes on the forum post to add to the wiki". I don't like that direction.

13. mitsymckenzie777

mitsymckenzie777 Level 6: Lakitu

What about the fact of color issues such as them not being indexed as Rey D said about some of my skins. The indexed color would have made some skins harder or nearly impossible to finish for the average person. So is this considered enough to keep a skin off the wiki one negative comment? BTW I do use colors according to NES and SNES pallettes they just are not in idexed form which changes colors automatically in Gimp when cutting and pasting.

14. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Changing images to indexed colors rather than RGB is easy. It literally takes longer to open the program than it does to index the colors.

Good question though; is there gonna be a minimum number of negative opinions that renders a skin invalid for the wiki?

15. Omicron

I'm gonna rename the thread, It should have been "Guidelines" the whole time.

We need defined guidelines to avoid certain issues that can arise around low-feedback skins.
    If the person can only complain, and fails to provide feedback, the complaint is invalidated. On the other hand, if the person complies with this subset and provides constructive criticism, it falls under the expected situation, and it causes the skin to require change and undergo further discussion, restarting the cycle.

So it's all covered so far.

Rey D likes this.
  16. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

One suggestion. Submitters should consider updating their older character/map skins to have the recent 2.0-3.0 additions.

coolman likes this.
  17. aliceandsven

These are guidelines and not strict rules, Dochobin. Nobody has put forward those kinds of strict rules. There should not be any kind of "this exact amount of time" or "this exact amount of likes" situation.

Every skin is an individual case and the point of this is that you wait and allow fair review * of your skin before submitting it. We have a lot of people here so it will be easy to figure out if someone is just trying to troll the submission process with empty nit-picking. If there are hang-ups about specific skins then that should be discussed during the skin's review, instead of trying to create blanket guidelines that won't cover it as well as specific discussion.

Skin completion would not include technical information that only ER is privy to, and SBQ has said skins on the wiki are not exempt from needing updates.

* This could mean as little as just waiting for some short period of time to make sure there are no objections about the skin being finished or ready for SMBC, even if nobody says or 'likes' anything. As I said, we're not trying to make strict rules like a "law" about breathing, we're just trying to make sure people don't go above the community when it comes to skinning SMBC, a joint-effort by the community.

Rey D and Dochobin like this.
  18. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

Has any of this been brought up with sbq? The skins pages are kind of his resource and he's the only person who benefits from these guidelines, and I feel he should at least be aware what the guidelines are.

19. Dochobin

Dochobin Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Okay, good. Thanks for explaining.

20. aliceandsven

I just showed this thread to SBQ, so he is aware of it now.

Omicron, uglyrodent and Faruga like this.