Official Skin Sets @ The Wiki

Discussion in 'Skins' started by aliceandsven, Feb 14, 2012.

1. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Hey guys, new developments for all you creative folks that I would like to announce! There's now a wiki page where all of the skins will officially be located. When you and your collaborators are done working on a skin, you should submit it to the appropriate page. Please check it out: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/Super_Mario_Bros._Crossover/Skin_Sets

Before submitting a skin, make sure it's COMPLETE. It should be the FINAL VERSION that you want to be in the game.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with wiki markup, I'll explain how to submit a skin.

The pages use wiki tables that look like this:
    Code:
    {| class="wikitable"
    |-
    ! Header 1
    ! Header 2
    ! Header 3
    |-
    | row 1, column 1
    | row 1, column 2
    | row 1, column 3
    |-
    | row 2, column 1
    | row 2, column 2
    | row 2, column 3
    |-
    | row 3, column 1
    | row 3, column 2
    | row 3, column 3
    |}
    All you have to worry about are the parts that say "row & column". When you're submitting a new skin to the page, add a new section to the table, like this:
    Code:
    |-
    | row 1, column 1
    | row 1, column 2
    | row 1, column 3
    |-
    | row 2, column 1
    | row 2, column 2
    | row 2, column 3
    |-
    | row 3, column 1
    | row 3, column 2
    | row 3, column 3

Code:
    |-
    | row 4, column 1
    | row 4, column 2
    | row 4, column 3
    |-
    As you can see, every submission is separated by a vertical line and hyphen. Replace "row #, column #" with the appropriate information. An example submission has been entered on every page, so view the wikimarkup of the example if you're confused.

Do not put the sheet image directly on the page, link to it with text instead. Use these instructions to correctly make a text-link to your sheet.

1) When you upload an image to the wiki, you get a page like this: http://www.explodingrabbit.com/wiki/File:Interface_Skin_Template.png

2) Take this part (File:Interface_Skin_Template.png) of the URL and put it in double-brackets: [[File:Interface_Skin_Template.png]]

3) Add a colon and a vertical line: [[:File:Interface_Skin_Template.png|]]

4) Now add some text: [[:File:Interface_Skin_Template.png|Go to sheet ->]]

Since your skin probably won't be in the game at the time of submitting it, type {{na}} in the last part of your submission to produce a red x, showing that it's not in the game yet. For the sake of information, typing {{ya}} produces a green check-mark. This should only be used for the "In game" column.

Here is what your markup should look like:
    Code:
    {| class="wikitable"
    |-
    ! Name
    ! Description
    ! Sheet
    ! Credits
    ! In Game
    |-
    | NES Mega Man
    | An example of how to submit your skin.
    | [[:File:Mega_Man_Skin_Template.png|Go to sheet ->]]
    | Ryuza, Jay
    | {{ya}}
    |-
    | Big Man
    | Skin for mega man.  In my dreams, I'm the Big Man.  It's me.
    | [[:File:Big_Man_Skin.png|Go to sheet ->]]
    | Geromy
    | {{na}}
    |-
    |}

Code:
    {| class="wikitable"
    |-
    ! Name
    ! Description
    ! Map
    ! Theme
    ! Enemy
    ! Interface
    ! Examples
    ! Credits
    ! In Game
    |-
    | Example
    | An example of how to submit your skin.
    | [[:File:Map_Skin_Template.png|view]]
    | [[:File:Theme_Example_Skin_Template.png|view]]
    | [[:File:Enemy_Skin_Template.png|view]]
    | [[:File:Interface_Skin_Template.png|view]]
    | Play SMBC
    | Ryuza (map), Jay (level), Hideo Kojima (enemy), Don Quixote (interface), Iron Chef Morimoto (keeping the spriters fed)
    | {{ya}}
    |-
    |}

If you want to fast forward through learning about the markup, just copy paste from the examples and replace shit.

If you're still confused about anything, ask someone for help.

Let us know if you have any ideas to improve this system!

2. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

Awesome! I'm adding one right now. Should I leave the example in?

3. aliceandsven

Yes leave the example for now. Go ahead and post your Wily one too if you have it and mark it with {{ya}}

4. sbq92

I considered it, but actually Zach made a couple of adjustments to it, and turned it into a Bass sheet (it was originally for Mega Man). I suppose I could put it in anyway, though, just to display that it's in the game. :)

5. aliceandsven

ok I'll be able to put the adjusted version up later. But I think you can still add your mega man version!

6. sbq92

It's up now (under Bass skins). Along with a couple of other Mega Man skins I made. I realized after the fact that one of them needs a face, but a face already exists for it, Zach would just need to slap it on. :)

7. aliceandsven

Ok great.

UPDATE: Just some crediting information, if you're crediting someone who's not from ER, link to them or wherever their contribution can be found. I would also try to contact them and let them know, but if it's too much work don't worry about it.

8. Jay

Jay Level 13: ER Team

I don't think we should have both a Bass and a Mega Man version of the same skin. It might cause other people to post slightly modified versions of their skins on both.

9. aliceandsven

Oh ok.

Also I just changed the links on Skin Sets from "Yes" to "View" to solve some confusion. You should use "view" to make it obvious that it's a link.

10. Sniperassassinx

Sniperassassinx Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

he has a point y'know

11. sbq92

The Bass skin I put up was originally for Mega Man, but Zach changed it into a Bass skin that don't have access to, so I just put the Mega Man one up on the wiki as a placeholder until the Bass one can be put up.

Also, I put up Lost Levels map and theme sheets. I don't know if you and Zach had already put any together, but I made them anyway, just in case. :)

Rey D likes this.
  12. MikePjr

MikePjr Level 2: Koopa

I don't really like messing with how Wikis work, can someone put the Simon i made into the Wiki?
    I don't want to fumble around with putting details about things, and as far as i can tell, you can't just PUT it in there, you have to put all kinds of details, and there is no point and click set up... just a bunch of stuff that looks like scripting or something... too much of a hassle..

13. sbq92

I can put it up for you. What do you want the name of the skin to be?

14. MikePjr

I was thinking.. something like CV2 Box Art Simon.
    Simon.png
    This is the sheet, it's actually the Completed version.

15. sbq92

16. MikePjr

Thanks ^^
    I'm not good with scripts, and i could easily screw something up.

sbq92 likes this.
  17. aliceandsven

I would suggest taking some time to familiarize yourself with the wiki editing. It's not as complicated as real coding or scripting, a lot of it is just formatting text. I also described exactly what to do and how to do it in the first post. It's impossible to screw anything up because all changes that are made can be effortlessly reversed. There's also a preview button like on the forum so you can see your edits before they go live.

18. WilyNumber13

WilyNumber13 Level 2: Koopa

Could I request that all currently in-game skin sheets be added to this wiki? It would make skinning much easier if I could see multiple examples of what kinds of things go where, instead of just one specific set.

19. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Rey D likes this.
  20. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I'm not good with wiki codes either, but I looked at the codes on a similar page as the one I wanted to edit. :) Plus I looked at the Wiki help.