Official Skin Sets @ The Wiki

Discussion in 'Skins' started by aliceandsven, Feb 14, 2012.

1. Ceed

Ceed Level 6: Lakitu

So graphical capabilities then?

2. Rey D

Rey D Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Yes yes.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Anything that has more than 5 or so colours is SNES. Anything with 5 colours or less tends to be NES. Game Boy is for characters from Game Boy games or originating from games in 4-colour grayscale.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  4. Rey D

Patron

This is the closest to "general skinning" topic I found.

Anyway, as I was browsing the Castlevania Dungeon the other day, I stumbled upon a very nice, detailled post about what we call "16-bit" graphics. Here's the main point:
    "Helpful hint: 16-bit console do not mean 16-bit sprites. 16-bit refers to the processor and hardware of the system. SNES has 4-bit per image, meaning, 16 colors total. The SNES can apply 8 palettes to sprites on a single screen, each palette of 16 colors each. Additionally, it has 8 palettes for all background tiles on screen."
    "Keep in mind that "16-bit" (I'll presume you mean't to say 4-bit or 'SNES') has a color limit of 16 colors (15 visible, 1 invisible) a palette for each character. I spy a bunch of overages on that sheet per individual sprite.

Limiting your colors will help you make the shading look less fluffy too, and give a more concise and clean coloring style. Try not only going form light to dark, but also to try changing saturation, and hue, as you make the other shades of that color. You can also save colors in your palette by hue shifting, for example, a red and white color range to brown, so they both share that common 'darkest' shade. I like what you're doing, and putting a cap oin your colors and tyring out some hue and saturation shifts can increase the effect of your sprites many times over with little additional work.

Unless you really mean't 16-bit literally, in which case feel free to use 65,536 colors per character.

Helpful hint: 16-bit console do not mean 16-bit sprites. 16-bit refers to the processor and hardware of the system. SNES has 4-bit per image, meaning, 16 colors total. The SNES can apply 8 palettes to sprites on a single screen, each palette of 16 colors each. Additionally, it has 8 palettes for all background tiles on screen.

Extra note: Total colors available per color depth are calculated by doing 2 to the power of the bit depth. Examples:

1-bit color 2^1 = 2 colors
    2-bit color 2^2 = 4 colors (Used by NES)
    3-bit color 2^3 = 8 colors
    4-bit color 2^4 = 16 colors (Used by SNES)
    5-bit color 2^5 = 32 colors
    6-bit color 2^6 = 64 colors
    8-bit color 2^8 = 256 colors

And so on.

Attached is an example about color limiting and shifting color ranges with hue and saturation. Notice the skin color is now shifted from blue to green in hue, and shifted form pale (low saturation) to more organic and rotten (higher saturation) as the shades get darker. You now see the detail of the pale dead skin, and the rotting green infection now in the body. Little things like that can go a long way.

Also notice I reduced the amount of colors the cloth took up. With that reduction I was able to still effectively shade the clothing, put a saturation gradient on it, and add a whole other section to the palette with those saved colors to add sleeves that can be, or not be, a different color set.

Try it for yourself and see how it goes."
    [​IMG]
    Source

Just thought I'd share this.

MissingNo2 and uglyrodent like this.
  5. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

I noticed there are a few inaccuries with the SMB1 NES map skin hosted on the Wiki. The larger BG mountains don't have their bottom-right spots in the right position, the down/right-facing pipes are not copies of the other directions (as I had brought up in a prior thread), the third and fourth colors on the Fire Flower are wrong, and the parts of the coin sprite that are meant to be transparent are colored green.

Rey D likes this.
  6. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

The things you pointed out are already correct in the development version (I hadn't caught the spot on the hill, though, so thanks for that one), and off-color objects are colored like that for palette-related reasons. I just updated the sheet on the wiki.

TheomanZero and Rey D like this.
  7. Superjustinbros

Thanks. If you're able to fix the remaining sheets and get the pipe tips turned correctly (like SMB2j, SMB3 (NES and SNES versions), SMW, and SMB Special), I'd appreciate it.

8. sbq92

Why did you double post/quote yourself?

While the wiki sheets are not always up-to-date, the development files are, and they all have the pipes oriented correctly. The sheets have undergone a few changes so I probably won't be updating them until the new version is out. Rest assured the pipes will be properly oriented in the game. :)

Rey D likes this.
  9. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

Guess he just pressed the wrong button. It looks like he tried to edit it but quoted it instead.

10. Superjustinbros

I tried to edit my previous post, but hit "Reply" instead of "Edit", My mistake.

But yeah, I'm glad to hear you and the rest of the ER team care about the consistency to the source material.

11. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

Closest to the skin sets thread I could find, so here, have some Battle Kid.
    Enemy_Skin_Template.png
    Map_Skin_Template.png

12. TheomanZero

TheomanZero Level 9: Spike Top

DarkBowser100 likes this.
  13. Superjustinbros

Changed the large hills to resemble the ones used in SMBDX's Versus mode. These would go on the main skin templates page, while the large hill would be implemented in the standard SMB1 skin.
    Map_Skin_Template.png

TheomanZero likes this.
  14. Rey D

Patron

Please use the appropriate thread next time:
    http://www.explodingrabbit.com/forum/threads/map-skins.14131/

I'm not saying this for being very slighty off-topic, , but for I was confused by the purpose of that "change".
    Since you posted here and without saying much, I thought that you changed the template or map for SMB on the Wiki.

uglyrodent likes this.
  15. sbq92

I didn't know SMBDX's Versus mode had large hills. The ones we used are based on the ones from SMBS, though, since that's the game that made us add them to the sheet. There are actually a bunch of different large hills throughout the game, but we can't replicate that variety, so I think we just took the first one we saw in one of the levels and used it.

16. Superjustinbros

Sorry for not making it clear.
    This isn't meant to be used within the actual game itself; it is meant to be an error fix for the map skin template, much the same with fixing the tips of the down and right facing pipes so they match the up and left pipe tips respectively.

Background tiles in SMB1 and 2J are all part of the same background graphic and are not placed tile-by-tile, therefore resulting in the same of background that repeats after three screens in each level. DX's versus levels still kept the tiles as part of one large graphic, but they could be placed anywhere. SMBS' background objects are placed tile-by-tile, allowing absolute freedom as to how things like bushes, hills, clouds, and trees can be constructed.

17. sbq92

SMBC treats clouds and hills and individual objects rather than sets of tiles, so we had to just choose one large hill. It would have been nice to have the variety, but alas.

18. Beed28

Beed28 Level 5: Spiny

So we can't have SMBS's awesome castle designs in SMBC (especially in World 8-2)?

19. sbq92

Unfortunately, we don't have the special fancy castles at the ends of the world 8 stages, we just went with the usual small castles for 8-1 and 8-2 and the big castle for 8-3.

We did include the fancy castle in the background of 8-2, though. That particular level uses a special background that has the castle on it.

20. Goomba98

Goomba98 Level 3: Paratroopa

Not even with the Sharp X-1 skin? :(
    By the way, you do realize that SMBS was also released on the PC-8801 with a different palette? (Sorry if this ends up delaying your game even longer.)

Superjustinbros likes this.