Official Skin Sets @ The Wiki

Discussion in 'Skins' started by aliceandsven, Feb 14, 2012.

1. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

We are aware of the PC-88 version, but we chose the Sharp X1 version for a variety of reasons (e.g., it is easier to work with, it looks a lot better).

TheomanZero likes this.
  2. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Trust me, as well as most of us may consider the PC88 the more memorable version of the two releases, sbq92 turned down the PC88 skin since he felt the dithering of the PC88's graphics couldn't be replicated and the X1 version being superior color-wise, even if they're as simple as combining the colors of two colors (black, blue, red, and yellow) to make another color (up to six additional colors), then re-coloring the Sharp X1 characters/tiles to represent the PC88 version using the ten colors available.

To begin, the display of the PC88 is the same as the Sharp X1, only it appears to be double the size due to the console's gimmick of being able to place two colors side-by-side into one pixel. Here's a sheet which shows Mega Man in standard PC88-style display. Notice the way the pixels are aligned around the sprites, and also the colors used.
    MMSMBSpecialCrossoverPC88Colors.png
    Now here's the same sheet, but reduced exactly by 50% in size. Now they match the NES Mega Man sprites minus the color.
    Screen Shot 2013-07-06 at 7.12.39 PM.png

To each is own, but I will say there is a certain charm to the PC88 color limitations.

3. Faruga

Faruga Level 12: Super Mod
    Patron

I think they just draw the graphics and scale the whole thing 2x. All the sprite sheets are 1x.

uglyrodent and Superjustinbros like this.
  4. Superjustinbros

Superjustinbros Level 4: Buzzy Beetle

Precisely how it's done.

If you want more proof the PC88 is more well-known just look at YouTube. At least 93% of all the videos of SMBS are of the PC88 version, and I've done my best in giving characters decent PC88 skins.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  5. Faruga

Patron

I don't know if anyone noticed this, but you can submit joke skins now. I'll give a cookie to the first person to tell me how.

6. DarkBowser007

DarkBowser007 Level 6: Lakitu

There's a Silly Skins section isn't there?

7. Faruga

Patron

No, it's on one of the skin pages on the Wiki.

8. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Wrong again, just "Skin Sets".
    Also the images are broken anyway.

9. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

Just wondering...who is the False Bowser on the Super Mario World skins?

10. MissingNo2

His name is...
    [​IMG]
    BEETHOVEN
    KOOPA

LUGDVAAAHGHAAH
    BEN.
    But no seriously it's Ludwig von Koopa, the only unique of the Koopa Kids in that game.

Develon and Mitewing like this.
  11. Mitewing

If the game is ever updated, I suggest making a couple of changes to certain Enemy Skins.
    1. Change Bowser and False Bowser on the Blaster Master skin to the "Guardian" found here: http://strategywiki.org/wiki/Blaster_Master/Enemies
    The False Bowser could be red to be different. While "Mecha Bowser" is cool, he's not a true Blaster Master enemy. Maybe it can be used in the Level Editor for something.

2. On the SML2 skin, change Bowser to Wario (@MissingNo2 made a great Wario skin for Bowser on another thread.). Also, change False Bowser to Tatanga. This would make the skin canonical.

12. MissingNo2

It's not exactly "canonical" to rescue Peach at the end of SML2.

13. Mitewing

Whoever you rescue is based on the character/skin, right? So it isn't canonical to rescue any of them! Besides I'm referring to Enemy Skins only.

14. MissingNo2

I'm basing this for SML2 specifically. It's a minor thing to change what isn't broken, and to be honest the Wario sprites in that game are completely ugly so I'd prefer just seeing it once or twice in the game.

15. Mitewing

If we're going by canon, Mario never fought Bowser in SML2, which is the entire basis of this request. Also who cares if the Wario sprites are "ugly"? That's just an opinion and not based on anything else. Besides he's the villain. They're supposed to be unpleasant in one way or another.

16. MissingNo2

And if we're going by canon, Mario never saw Peach or Toad in SML2.

17. Mitewing

You're missing the point. *SMH*

18. MissingNo2

I'm running off the exact same point you are.

19. Mitewing

You're talking about needing to change the entire premise of the gameplay in Super Mario Bros itself, which is rescuing Toad/Peach. I'm talking about changing enemy skins so they'd more closely resemble their canonical source.

20. MissingNo2

No, I'm talking about turning their graphics into coins and a castle.
    THANK YOU MARIO BUT YOUR CASTLE IS IN ANOTHER CASTLE

Faruga likes this.