Skin Sets

Discussion in 'Skins' started by Rey D, Apr 9, 2012.

1. uglyrodent

uglyrodent Level 9: Spike Top

that looks cool too, I still prefer the one where half is just blacked out though.
    I appreciate it, but ironically this wouldn't fit with the rest of the graphics; everything else is clearly an edit of the real sprites, so throwing in a freehanded element (especially such a large one) would clash. Especially given how, in order to be playable, the rest of the menus and interface elements use normal non-freehanded text.

TheomanZero and Faruga like this.
  2. uglyrodent

This is getting a tad tiring...time to copy this quote shit into a text file.

ANYWAY, here's the red Luigi knockoff and the blue Bass knockoff.
    Doodle Mario.png
    Doodle Mario Backed.png
    So with Luigi I said something about how I felt SMB2 Luigi represented the style and character best; honestly, I was torn between SMB2 or 3, so I decided Luigi would use his SMB2 sprites and Mario would use SMB3.
    Doodle Mega Man.png Doodle Mega Man Backed.png
    Copied around 80% of this from Bass's sheet, to be honest. Similar to how Treble form's jets were red, Rush Jet's jet flames are red.

Not to brag, but that charge shot just looks so perfect.

3. MissingNo2

MissingNo2 Level 9: Spike Top

Not to hamper anything, but I really think the Bros. should have the same Toad/Peach sprites.

uglyrodent likes this.
  4. uglyrodent

Not gonna bother posting such a minor change, but it is done.

MissingNo2 likes this.
  5. TurretBot

TurretBot Level 3: Paratroopa

GUYS IT'S TIME FOR MORE
    MARIO PAAAAIIIIIINT!!!!

Mario Skin:
    [​IMG]
    It is, in fact, a recolor, because there aren't actually enough sprites in Mario Paint for a full skin.
    But the littlebigmario sprite is not directly from the game and the peach and toad are from the Coffee Break game.

Bonus: Luigi Skin?????
    [​IMG]
    I just recolored mario's skin with the colors from the 'stamp' icon when you select it, instead of mario popping up like one would expect, instead what looks like luigi appears.

WIP Map Skin:
    [​IMG]
    Notes:
    - I did replace the exploding rabbit power-up, and I might change it to just a recolored version if I need to.
    - I SWEAR I'M GOING TO GET YELLED AT FOR BEING CREATIVE WITH THE PORTRAIT!!! :mad:
    - Off scale house because I failed.
    - I did replace the clock with the loading cursor which looks like a clock.
    - Guess what, I'm super original: Pigs for poison mushrooms, gameboys for coins!

Lilfut, Nat, MissingNo2 and 1 other person like this.
  6. silentshadowxp

silentshadowxp Level 7: Bloober

Loving the doodle skins!

Also:

Arcade Theme.png

Arcade Map.png

Arcade Enemies.png

Arcade Interface.png

7. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

silentshadowxp likes this.
  8. Dimpsy

Dimpsy Level 9: Spike Top

So guys, should I finish up my DuckTales skin set?
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    I haven't worked on this in MONTHS, so progress has not really went anywhere right now. You can even tell, I don't even have the Exploding Rabbit item on this sheet yet.
    And with the release of DuckTales Remastered, I kinda have encouragement to finish it regardless.
    So should I finish it all up? I would like some help if possible. Especially since I'm using both DuckTales games (Even the Gameboy port) as sources for this project.

uglyrodent and luigiman64 like this.
  9. Lilfut

Lilfut Level 7: Bloober

I hate to be That Guy, but how the hell is my All Night Nippon set not in the game yet? :mad:

do you want me to give the special enemies funky sunglasses because if you want me to i will

Also, that DuckTales skin should probably have the surface of the Moon and the spaceship as separate, they may have been part of the same level originally but they're definitely distinct areas. I think all of the DT levels have some separation like that, actually, with the possible exception of Transylvania and the African Mines.

mariofan2020 likes this.
  10. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

Really, why not have ANNSMB skins in? Maybe sbq92 is too lazy and doesn't think about peoples thoughts, just like school.

11. Lilfut

I'm not even gonna bother psychoanalyzing that.

On another note, I feel like the Special character sprites should probably come from their own ugly PC ports instead of just being SMBS Yellow. For example:

The original Ninja Gaiden arcade game had a million different PC ports. Most of them had ugly palettes at least that could be used, even if they're too big to be used as-is. The ZX Spectrum version in particular had a bizarre white-and-cyan scheme.

Vampire Killer for MSX had a weird reddish palette for Simon.

Mega Man had an infamous DOS game, but I don't know how skinnable it was.

Contra came out for MSX, Bill's palette actually varied by level but the default had funky green pants.

There's probably others, but that's all I can remember.

12. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

You know, it's also entirely possible that I have plans for when to add certain skins.

Because the SMB ANN graphics are similar to the Lost Levels graphics, I plan to add the skin when we add the Lost Levels maps.

Also, if I were lazy, 3.0 probably never would have happened.

13. Mariofan5000

Mariofan5000 Level 6: Lakitu

Sorry, but I'm just in a bad mood right now.

14. CowboyJoseph64

CowboyJoseph64 Level 6: Lakitu

this looks really good so far, you should continue!

15. Edwin0080

Edwin0080 Level 5: Spiny

16. Lilfut

To be clear: I don't have a huge problem with the ANN skin not being included, but I was curious why. And you satisfied said curiosity!

uglyrodent and sbq92 like this.
  17. Mitewing

Mitewing Level 9: Spike Top

This has gotten my hopes up that the Lost Levels won't be the only levels added in a future. Seems like the ANN levels are possible in the same update. :awesome: Speaking of which, will the Lost Levels be added in the next update, or will we see some skin only updates first?

18. TurretBot

TurretBot Level 3: Paratroopa

I believe ANN had the same levels as SMB.

19. aliceandsven

aliceandsven Level 9: Spike Top

Yeah I'm not sure it warrants inclusion... but I haven't reviewed ANN recently so I may have forgotten major differences.

20. sbq92

sbq92 Level 9: Spike Top

ANN is basically SMB, but with a mix of graphics from SMB and SMBLL. The levels themselves have a few minor modifications, and all of the levels that are duplicates of previous levels (e.g., 5-3 is a duplicate of 1-3) use the SMBLL version of that level instead. Also, all of World 1 is night time.

I don't know if we'll be adding the ANN maps, but I do think setting up the skin is worth doing.